noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Our personnel are well above average
Our coaching staff maybe in the bottom 5

Bleedblue1111

Reaction score
We went 8-8...you can count that last “win” if it makes you feel better, but the Cowboys were about as 8-8 as it gets last year. And there were 16 teams with winning records last year not counting the Cowboys. That puts us dead in line with a few teams being 15th or worst in the league if you’d like to look at it that way.
Actually, if you wanna go that route, add in another W against Seattle, if Zeke touches the ball once from the 2 yard line. Now we're back to 9-7.
:thumbup:

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The only explanation is that good coaching has kept us so competitive.

JJHLH1

Reaction score
I’m not sure you understand what the word talent means. I’m talking talent level and you’re citing statistics. Do you honestly believe Dak has great TALENT as an NFL QB? Arm strength, accuracy, ability to read a D. As an NFL QB Dak is indeed middle of the road. But again, doesn’t mean he can’t succeed.

Talent is vastly overrated. Brandon Weedon had immense talent and a huge arm, which is why he was a first-round pick, but was a bust. We see that happen all the time. Give me a guy with average talent instead but a huge desire to work hard and improve. For QBs intangibles are as important as talent.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Qb- middle of the road
RB- great
WR- One of the worst units in the league
TE- Witten is a backup at this point and there’s no other starting caliber TE on the roster
OL- IF Tyron is healthy it’s still a very good unit. Big if and there is still 1 starter missing
DL- Getting better, but still middle of the road. 1 tech is still (perpetually) missing. Depth is also an issue behind the injury prone Lawrence.
LB- Yuck. just yuck
DB- Young CB’s are a breath of fresh air, but is there a #1 guy amongst the group? Very debatable
S- Little to no talent here. Minimum 1 starter still needed. Heath is just barely passable enough but should also be replaced if possible.

Discuss
My opinion:

Grade Key - A (4 points) B (3 points) C (2 points/Average) D (2 points) F (0 points)

B - Quarterback
A - Running Back
C - Wide Receiver
B - Tight End
B - Offensive Line
C - Defensive Line
C - Linebacker
B - Cornerback
D - Safety

Totals

A - 04 points
B - 12 points
C - 06 points
D - 01 point

23 total points / 9 categories = 2.56 Grade Average

2.56 Grade Average > 2.00 Average

Personal conclusion: Current roster talent is above average

(Addendum: I want to see more from the Safety position before re-evaluating the grade)

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Qb- middle of the road
RB- great
WR- One of the worst units in the league
TE- Witten is a backup at this point and there’s no other starting caliber TE on the roster
OL- IF Tyron is healthy it’s still a very good unit. Big if and there is still 1 starter missing
DL- Getting better, but still middle of the road. 1 tech is still (perpetually) missing. Depth is also an issue behind the injury prone Lawrence.
LB- Yuck. just yuck
DB- Young CB’s are a breath of fresh air, but is there a #1 guy amongst the group? Very debatable
S- Little to no talent here. Minimum 1 starter still needed. Heath is just barely passable enough but should also be replaced if possible.

Discuss
You start off by saying let's be honest and then commence to crapping all over the sentiment. :facepalm:

GreenMean69

Reaction score
The only things that held this team back from Super bowl last 4 seasons Injuries , Coaching and Jerry . The talent is/ was there , dont get me wrong Im grateful for all except the injuries . One of the reasons injuries hurt so much imo is dead cap space Dallas seems to liek to take on bad contracts and holding onto players too long . Right now 22 Million could do ANY team some insane help . a lot of people also down on WItten ... Guy is decent blocker and has sure hands , get a new stud to go under him with some more 2 TE sets / action with a speedy WR. Dak and zeke would be unstopable

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Denial_riverinegypt.jpg
Are you on the "We have a great coaching staff" or are you on the " we have a talented team" bandwagon? Let's cut to the chase here.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Are you on the "We have a great coaching staff" or are you on the " we have a talented team" bandwagon? Let's cut to the chase here.

I'm not understanding you? Why does everything have to be absolutes?

blindzebra

Reaction score
My opinion:

Grade Key - A (4 points) B (3 points) C (2 points/Average) D (2 points) F (0 points)

B - Quarterback
A - Running Back
C - Wide Receiver C+
B - Tight End
B - Offensive Line B +
C - Defensive Line B-
C - Linebacker
B - Cornerback
D - Safety C

Totals

A - 04 points
B - 12 points
C - 06 points
D - 01 point

23 total points / 9 categories = 2.56 Grade Average

2.56 Grade Average > 2.00 Average

Personal conclusion: Current roster talent is above average

(Addendum: I want to see more from the Safety position before re-evaluating the grade)

Made a few adjustments 25.33 = 2.81

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
We will just have to disagree on Dak. I don't think he is anywhere close to Great, let alone great great. I want a QB that can not only make all the throws but knows where to throw it, and when to throw it. Dak is not that guy. He has zero anticipation, which means he is not reading the D correctly pre snap, not seeing the field clearly on his drop back or he does not trust what he sees (which could be a growing as a QB issue more than talent). Maybe it was that he didn't trust his WR to be where he was supposed to be thing, I don't know. What I do know is that if a QB is waiting to throw the ball when the WR is open, that' won't work in the NFL. To me, Dak is at best a middle of the road QB. yes, if we surround him with great talent and a dominant D, he can be successful, but hell who couldn't in that situation. I want a QB that can rise to the occasion and ball out when things aren't perfect around him, make the rest of the team play better, look them in their eyes and say I got this, just follow me guys and then goes out and does it.

I personally don't care about stats or passer rating etc, So what Aikman did on average is useless to me. What I remember about Troy was that when the chips were down and we needed him, he showed up. He made the clutch throw, Mike made the clutch catch, etc. They were warriors. So far, Dak has been MIA when the team needed him to rise up.

But I will say that I hope you are right, because it appears we are going to tie ourselves to Dak for the foreseeable future. I was hoping to see another SB in my life time, but not sure that will happen if we waste another 10 years on this guy but we will see.

Give me a break. Dak has been in this league for two years only. You act like the kid is a 7 year vet. Under your premise, guy like Aikman would have sucked, Steve Young, Brees, and on and on. All those guys had worse rookie and sophomore campaigns then Dak did. If you look at just the stats of Brady his first year as a QB they were paltry. Granted they won the SB that year.

Dak was throwing the ball all over the place with accuracy and anticipation. He was all world until the 25th game when the Oline went down and Zeke went out. My god its like you don't even consider the first 24 games of his career. Its like all he ever did was the last 8 games.

You are a clearly a guy that simply hates Dak. I get it, you loved Romo. So did I, but he was done.

GreenMean69

Reaction score
Give me a break. Dak has been in this league for two years only. You act like the kid is a 7 year vet. Under your premise, guy like Aikman would have sucked, Steve Young, Brees, and on and on. All those guys had worse rookie and sophomore campaigns then Dak did. If you look at just the stats of Brady his first year as a QB they were paltry. Granted they won the SB that year.

Dak was throwing the ball all over the place with accuracy and anticipation. He was all world until the 25th game when the Oline went down and Zeke went out. My god its like you don't even consider the first 24 games of his career. Its like all he ever did was the last 8 games.

You are a clearly a guy that simply hates Dak. I get it, you loved Romo. So did I, but he was done.

Do you know the hate Cunningham, McNabb and Vick got in Philly . Vick I get , but the dog thing was just an excuse to hate them. Everything Dak haters say about him they said about those 3 . To a tee almost . ITs not something that has to be spelled out and people will deny up and down. But if a City like Philly does it ....

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Do you know the hate Cunningham, McNabb and Vick got in Philly . Vick I get , but the dog thing was just an excuse to hate them. Everything Dak haters say about him they said about those 3 . To a tee almost . ITs not something that has to be spelled out and people will deny up and down. But if a City like Philly does it ....

I liked all three of those guys. McScabb was a little annoying, but you cannot deny the talent. At this point the Cowboys are lucky as heck to have stumbled upon Dak after Romo. Where would we be without Dak at this point? Could have been another 10 years of Jerry bumbling things like he did after Aikman. I'm not one of these guys that thinks you need Tom Brady to win championships. Strong run game and a D and throw in a good QB. Love the Seattle model.

GreenMean69

Reaction score
I liked all three of those guys. McScabb was a little annoying, but you cannot deny the talent. At this point the Cowboys are lucky as heck to have stumbled upon Dak after Romo. Where would we be without Dak at this point? Could have been another 10 years of Jerry bumbling things like he did after Aikman. I'm not one of these guys that thinks you need Tom Brady to win championships. Strong run game and a D and throw in a good QB. Love the Seattle model.

Ive told that to many of Dallas fans how lucky they were to not even have a blip from QB to QB . Granted Dak still has time to prove his haters right ... but I think it would because of the coaching and FO failing him. Not Daks lack of talent .... The team was built for Romo , they should of done more last year to make it built for Dak. If they do that then Philly and Dallas will be fighting for NFCE next 10 years... unless somehow Giants get lucky at QB

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Ive told that to many of Dallas fans how lucky they were to not even have a blip from QB to QB . Granted Dak still has time to prove his haters right ... but I think it would because of the coaching and FO failing him. Not Daks lack of talent .... The team was built for Romo , they should of done more last year to make it built for Dak. If they do that then Philly and Dallas will be fighting for NFCE next 10 years... unless somehow Giants get lucky at QB

As long as Garrett is coaching and the defense is mild, then I don't see the Cowboys doing much past a miracle season here and there and a playoff win. You simply cannot compete with these other teams ONLY using the draft to improve your team.

GreenMean69

Reaction score
As long as Garrett is coaching and the defense is mild, then I don't see the Cowboys doing much past a miracle season here and there and a playoff win. You simply cannot compete with these other teams ONLY using the draft to improve your team.

Its only partially Garret and the predictable play calling . Its the FO that giving out bad contracts and holding onto players too long . Hard to get depth or quality when your eating 22 million in dead cap space and its mostly from 3 players .

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score

I don't hate Dak. Not at all. I just don't think he is a very talented QB. With the other guys you mentioned, you could see the talent, you could see the growth,, you could see them learning. Dak put up really good stats when everything was great around him. He completely fell apart when things weren't. Go watch, his technique went to total crap, he became blind it seemed a lot of the time, he had no pocket awareness, you can call it growing pains and bet that it changes. I don't think it was growing pains, I think that is just who he is as a QB. Yes, if we get a dominate D and the run game is sound, we can be successful, even with Dak as the QB, but that is not what this is about. But we will not be competitive, as we saw last year, if we have to rely on Dak to carry the team. It has nothing to do with Romo, so I don't know why you bring him up, we were discussing Dak. He is a very flawed QB without elite level talent. Can we win games and maybe even a SB, yes if we get everything else dominate, you can with with a sub par QB, its been proven as I have stated several times. But as far as just straight up talent at the QB position, he is average at best.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Its only partially Garret and the predictable play calling . Its the FO that giving out bad contracts and holding onto players too long . Hard to get depth or quality when your eating 22 million in dead cap space and its mostly from 3 players .

100% agree. Garrett is only the coaching problem. I can even say with some confidence that Garrett would probably be a better coach somewhere else. Although from what I have seen Garrett will NEVER be a good coach in this league.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I don't hate Dak. Not at all. I just don't think he is a very talented QB. With the other guys you mentioned, you could see the talent, you could see the growth,, you could see them learning. Dak put up really good stats when everything was great around him. He completely fell apart when things weren't. Go watch, his technique went to total crap, he became blind it seemed a lot of the time, he had no pocket awareness, you can call it growing pains and bet that it changes. I don't think it was growing pains, I think that is just who he is as a QB. Yes, if we get a dominate D and the run game is sound, we can be successful, even with Dak as the QB, but that is not what this is about. But we will not be competitive, as we saw last year, if we have to rely on Dak to carry the team. It has nothing to do with Romo, so I don't know why you bring him up, we were discussing Dak. He is a very flawed QB without elite level talent. Can we win games and maybe even a SB, yes if we get everything else dominate, you can with with a sub par QB, its been proven as I have stated several times. But as far as just straight up talent at the QB position, he is average at best.

Then how did Dak win rookie of the year? How did he have the 2nd best rookie season in NFL history? How did he get through the first 24 games playing lights out?

And how do you figure EVERYTHING was perfect around him? He had Romo sitting right behind him. If he screwed up he was going to get yanked. His head coach is Jason Garrett. His receiving corps was mediocre at best. Heck, Dez was out for 6 games his rookie year and he didn't miss a beat. Your analysis doesn't hold water.

Dak is immensely talented and is one hell of a QB. And he will be getting better. The thing flawed is your analysis. Dak is about as good a young QB as you could possibly hope for.

As I said before, I will enjoy watching you haters eat crow.