Let's talk about Dak's restructuring

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great details.
Hard to see us swallowing a 59 million cap hit next year, so it looks like we are committed to Dak for several seasons.
For better or worse.
Not so fast..........That decision will come AFTER this season. Both sides are saying all the right things coz his $31M guaranteed salary for this season tied them together. The real talk will come after this season when he needs new G-money. Honestly, I'm not sure either side can say today how that will go. What I find interesting is both sides can tear up this deal today and do another one if they were 110% committed for another 3-5 years but ......

Mannix

Reaction score
Because the big increase in CAP levels in 2024 ($30m) 2025 (over $25m) mean QB contracts are going to be astronomical.
If that is the case, then don't resign him....but I want Booger and Chuckles to see him for one more year before making what most of us already think is a COLOSSAL mistake.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
If reading the details accurately, the restructure sets Dak's cap hit and dead money as follows:

2023: Cap Hit $27.38M Dead Money $89.07M

2024: Cap Hit $59.38M Dead Money $61.69M

2025: Cap Hit $36.3M Dead Money $36.3M Void Year

So in looking at the numbers, my issue with the restructure is that prior to the restructure, Dallas in essence had an 'out' in that they would have had $39M in dead money with Dak but a cap savings of around $13M.
Now, because of the restructuring, Dallas can't get out of the contract until after 2024 so if Dak performs poorly again this season, and with the enormous cap hit in 2024, they will be forced to yet again have to restructure his deal.

So, the bottom line is that it appears Dallas is stuck with Dak for at least 2 more seasons and possibly more than that.
So looking at this timeline one of 2 things could happen, one would be what some have been asking for.

1) MM and Dak get rolling and with this defense they get to the promise land this year..( i would think we will all be ok with that)
2) MM and Dak have the same issues and Dak has another turnover year, 2024 is a year when your going to have to make desicions on the younger core of this team and hand out some big contracts on the D side of the ball...if this thing fails this year we could actually see a flush and rebuild (of sorts) maybe it gets rebuilt around Micah, Diggs, and a couple other young ones....
3) New HC and restructure......

Lets root for #1 and if it fails we root for #2 but givin the history it will probably be #3....BUT LETS GO #1!!!!!!!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
chiefs couldn't be smart with an unselfish Mahomes approving the deal. 99% of players and agents see a 10 year deal as dumb ie not smart when the cap keeps going up as does the top 5 salary's seemingly 20% a year so a 4 year deal and then you get huge new deal.. he left money on the table if you see Watson, Wilson, and Murrays deals
Mahomes may go to Cabo and hold out for a bigger and better deal in a year or so. :laugh:
Once he sees what Burrow and Hurts and Jackson get.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Jerry is undoubtedly a part of it....and i think last year was a reset year with a plan to go all-in in 2024. I would agree with that (even overlooking some of the ints), but there's this collapse in composure (GB, Bears though we were able to overcome it), and especially the 49ers game that bring up question marks ....THAT A TEAM CANT REALLY HAVE WHEN GOING ALL-IN.
The Rams were the last team to go successfully All-In, but they had to accept failings on Goffs part.
The problem is you want to go All-in based on the Dak question mark, I'd like a QB to show that in crucial Play-Off games he can be The Guy to lead the team and step up... Dak hasn't shown it (example 49ers '22 and '23).
again, seems like we want to singularly blame one player, as if that one player replacement alone will lift this franchise and that will not happen.

with that said, in GB game, 4th quarter, up 14, run the ball, talk to the QB, coaches, and run the ball. 4 runs. 14 passes. that's on the OC. people will say the QB changed the play, but shouldn't OC huddle with QB and strategize!!!

and the cowboys fans want domination in first 3 quarters. if that doesn't happen, they say we got lucky. yet Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady make 4th quarter comebacks and everyone says, look at how great they are. the game is 4 quarters. every quarter counts the same.

with that said, I am not saying dak is elite. I am not saying he is without fault or if he is perfect in any shape of form. far from it. but its all Jerry. his brilliant idea of going all for it perhaps was get rid of Cooper and give Gallup, coming off knee surgery a big contract and Make noah brown his 3rd WR. BRILLIANT.

can we win with Dak? I think we can. we need the right team, right coaches in his ears. despite some saying he has to be surronded by all HOF offensive players, which just pure stupidity. I don't think Jerry is capable of putting a winning product on the field. 28 years prove it. I bet there is another 10 years just like it.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
again, seems like we want to singularly blame one player, as if that one player replacement alone will lift this franchise and that will not happen.

with that said, in GB game, 4th quarter, up 14, run the ball, talk to the QB, coaches, and run the ball. 4 runs. 14 passes. that's on the OC. people will say the QB changed the play, but shouldn't OC huddle with QB and strategize!!!

and the cowboys fans want domination in first 3 quarters. if that doesn't happen, they say we got lucky. yet Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady make 4th quarter comebacks and everyone says, look at how great they are. the game is 4 quarters. every quarter counts the same.

with that said, I am not saying dak is elite. I am not saying he is without fault or if he is perfect in any shape of form. far from it. but its all Jerry. his brilliant idea of going all for it perhaps was get rid of Cooper and give Gallup, coming off knee surgery a big contract and Make noah brown his 3rd WR. BRILLIANT.

can we win with Dak? I think we can. we need the right team, right coaches in his ears. despite some saying he has to be surronded by all HOF offensive players, which just pure stupidity. I don't think Jerry is capable of putting a winning product on the field. 28 years prove it. I bet there is another 10 years just like it.
I do ponder what Jerry seems to say, like most here, "We need to run the ball" but if we take a collective poll on what is most important to JJ would it not be what sells the most tickets/media...Passing is exciting so it kinda goes against how JJ thinks when he basicqally says "I want a less exciting offense on the field" again one of the most head banging problems about this franchise is "Who the hell is actually calling the shots on Sundays????"

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do ponder what Jerry seems to say, like most here, "We need to run the ball" but if we take a collective poll on what is most important to JJ would it not be what sells the most tickets/media...Passing is exciting so it kinda goes against how JJ thinks when he basicqally says "I want a less exciting offense on the field" again one of the most head banging problems about this franchise is "Who the hell is actually calling the shots on Sundays????"
MM is calling the shots on the field.
Jerry does not meddle like the fans say.

After all these years not one coach or player came out and sated that. Even Parcels said Jerry was great to work with.
It is other issues for lack of success, like going over board in FA and stupid trades, then they went the opposite and now avoid FA players.
Though they have drafted well, thanks to Will McClay. And now the large contracts that may be hurting as Dak and Zeke, DLaw, Tyron cap hit this season. I think the Pollard tag is just as damaging for now.

However I always say the cap has a way of working itself out, so I do not get caught up in all of that. It is a year to year issue actually.

MM said he wants to run the ball more, and focus on it. Jerry just reiterates that.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
MM is calling the shots on the field.
Jerry does not meddle like the fans say.

After all these years not one coach or player came out and sated that. Even Parcels said Jerry was great to work with.
It is other issues for lack of success, like going over board in FA and stupid trades, then they went the opposite and now avoid FA players.
Though they have drafted well, thanks to Will McClay. And now the large contracts that may be hurting as Dak and Zeke, DLaw, Tyron cap hit this season. I think the Pollard tag is just as damaging for now.

However I always say the cap has a way of working itself out, so I do not get caught up in all of that. It is a year to year issue actually.

MM said he wants to run the ball more, and focus on it. Jerry just reiterates that.
I want to believe you, i really do. That leaves huge questions on why KM was here then if he a MM didnt see eye to eye on how to run an offense, does it not?

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I want to believe you, i really do. That leaves huge questions on why KM was here then if he a MM didnt see eye to eye on how to run an offense, does it not?
I think it came to a head during / after this past season.
MM was learning the offense as well as the terminology. He agreed to keep Moore as OC, as he did not want to change too many things to keep the flow of the offense and not impede any progress.

He wanted to evaluate the team, then Dak got injured. So into year 2, he has the same plan. I think he seen what he needed to see, and 2022 he seen enough to make that change.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
You've tried arguing and shifting the blame on EVERY issue, your only negative comment on Dak was that you're not saying he's without fault (which lets be fair is blatantly obvious).
However, that paragraph above is the main reason why I dont think Dak's the QB that's going to win a SB. His weakness is that in high pressure situations in important games where the Offense needs to step up and the clock is ticking we seldom seem to win (eg 2022 and 2023 vrs 49ers).....now you'll probably shift the blame to other aspects, however, he's the greatest influence on what happens, as he touches the ball on every play.
I would say that if we had a team able to give Dak an arm-chair ride (or at least a lead) I think he'd be great, but during a play-off run there will be adversity .....at which point he's yet to show the mental strength and composure to lead the Offense to victory.

As for Jerry I think he's frightened to go ALL-IN and the 49ers second half does give support to his reluctance....needs to see an improvement in Dak and team in 2023.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
chiefs couldn't be smart with an unselfish Mahomes approving the deal. 99% of players and agents see a 10 year deal as dumb ie not smart when the cap keeps going up as does the top 5 salary's seemingly 20% a year so a 4 year deal and then you get huge new deal.. he left money on the table if you see Watson, Wilson, and Murrays deals
Mahomes was on a 5-year rookie deal so all but guaranteeing himself 450M was actually genius.
He's already being considered in GOAT conversations and he has accumulated generational wealth.

It probably helps he was always very well off to begin with as his Dad was a major league pitcher.
And his high school sweetheart is his wife.
Dude is just grounded, well advised and smart on and off the field.

Also the contract notes are greatly in his favor:
Contract Notes:
  • $63M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2020 salary + 2021 salary + 2021 roster bonus + 2022 salary + 2022 roster bonus)
  • 2023 salary & roster bonus + workout bonus fully guarantee on 3/19/2021 ($100M of total dead cap)
  • 2024 salary & roster bonus + workout bonus fully guarantee on 3/18/2022 ($113.3M of total dead cap)
  • 2025 roster bonus + workout bonus fully guarantees on 3/17/2023 ($121.3M of total dead cap)
  • 2025 salary + workout bonus fully guarantees on the 3rd league day of 2024 ($81.9M of total dead cap)
  • 2026 roster bonus fully guarantees on the 3rd league day of 2025 ($80.85M of total dead cap)
  • 2026 salary + workout bonus , 2027 roster bonus fully guarantee on the 3rd league day of 2026 ($91.35M of total dead cap)
  • 2027 salary + workout bonus + 2028 salary + 2028 roster bonus fully guarantee on the 3rd league of 2027 ($104M of total dead cap)
  • 2029 salary + workout bonus & 2029 roster bonus fully guarantee on the 3rd league day of 2028 ($89.4M of total dead cap)
  • 2030 salary & 2030 roster bonus fully guarantee on the 3rd league day of 2029 ($94.85M of total dead cap)
  • 2031 roster bonus fully guarantee on the 3rd league day of 2030 ($63.8M of total dead cap)
  • 2031 base salary fully guarantees on the 3rd league day of 2031 ($51.9M of total dead cap)
  • Playoff Bonus: $1.25 million for winning the AFC Champ Game
  • League MVP Bonus: $1.25M
  • No Trade Clause

Ken

Reaction score
This is what I thought .............then the balance $2K is paid over 17 games
Yes...but that money paid out is spread evenly over the course of the contract and is paid out in full if cut or traded before end of contract.

Ken

Reaction score
No, it’s never been like that. Occasionally it’s erroneously reported that this happens, but players and agents have come out refuting it. There is no possible contract scenario where a player does not get at least nfl minimum game checks.
right...he has a base amount that he is paid....I will go and look it up.

Looks like a base amount of 2 million.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You've tried arguing and shifting the blame on EVERY issue, your only negative comment on Dak was that you're not saying he's without fault (which lets be fair is blatantly obvious).
However, that paragraph above is the main reason why I dont think Dak's the QB that's going to win a SB. His weakness is that in high pressure situations in important games where the Offense needs to step up and the clock is ticking we seldom seem to win (eg 2022 and 2023 vrs 49ers).....now you'll probably shift the blame to other aspects, however, he's the greatest influence on what happens, as he touches the ball on every play.
I would say that if we had a team able to give Dak an arm-chair ride (or at least a lead) I think he'd be great, but during a play-off run there will be adversity .....at which point he's yet to show the mental strength and composure to lead the Offense to victory.

As for Jerry I think he's frightened to go ALL-IN and the 49ers second half does give support to his reluctance....needs to see an improvement in Dak and team in 2023.
That is complete nonsense and frankly embarrassing to my Welsh roots.
Dak has 20 game winning drives.
He has the 8th best all-time QB rating and a QB rating of 92 for the playoffs.

Simple-minded people blame the QB for the overall team failures.
Dak and the Cowboys just demolished the GOAT in the playoffs.
Was that because Brady just isn't good enough when it counts???

Dak is not some uber elite QB. But he is good.
And the majority of Super Bowls are won by good QBs, not ubermen.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Mahomes was on a 5-year rookie deal so all but guaranteeing himself 450M was actually genius.
He's already being considered in GOAT conversations and he has accumulated generational wealth.

It probably helps he was always very well off to begin with as his Dad was a major league pitcher.
And his high school sweetheart is his wife.
Dude is just grounded, well advised and smart on and off the field.

Also the contract notes are greatly in his favor:
Contract Notes:
  • $63M guaranteed at signing (signing bonus + 2020 salary + 2021 salary + 2021 roster bonus + 2022 salary + 2022 roster bonus)
  • 2023 salary & roster bonus + workout bonus fully guarantee on 3/19/2021 ($100M of total dead cap)
  • 2024 salary & roster bonus + workout bonus fully guarantee on 3/18/2022 ($113.3M of total dead cap)
  • 2025 roster bonus + workout bonus fully guarantees on 3/17/2023 ($121.3M of total dead cap)
  • 2025 salary + workout bonus fully guarantees on the 3rd league day of 2024 ($81.9M of total dead cap)
  • 2026 roster bonus fully guarantees on the 3rd league day of 2025 ($80.85M of total dead cap)
  • 2026 salary + workout bonus , 2027 roster bonus fully guarantee on the 3rd league day of 2026 ($91.35M of total dead cap)
  • 2027 salary + workout bonus + 2028 salary + 2028 roster bonus fully guarantee on the 3rd league of 2027 ($104M of total dead cap)
  • 2029 salary + workout bonus & 2029 roster bonus fully guarantee on the 3rd league day of 2028 ($89.4M of total dead cap)
  • 2030 salary & 2030 roster bonus fully guarantee on the 3rd league day of 2029 ($94.85M of total dead cap)
  • 2031 roster bonus fully guarantee on the 3rd league day of 2030 ($63.8M of total dead cap)
  • 2031 base salary fully guarantees on the 3rd league day of 2031 ($51.9M of total dead cap)
  • Playoff Bonus: $1.25 million for winning the AFC Champ Game
  • League MVP Bonus: $1.25M
  • No Trade Clause
yet it was team friendly helped the team not doing 4 and coming back for more.its the way brady handled things and not the norm around the NFL in the give ,me my whole bag NOW lol its what's holding up Jacksons deal he want max money more more more.memememememememe

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
To be sure we are all on the same page........the only impact of his restructuring is he gets $29M of his guaranteed $31M salary right now as opposed to having it spread out over 17 games. It did not add any additional G-money or G-years to the contract. His contract still has no G-money beyond this season. I'm 100% confident he will not play one down without G-money. So in a sense, this is a contract year for Dak because playing for new guaranteed money and years from the Cowboys ( I dare to say elsewhere) but how much???? That's the trick question......lot will depend on this season but you count him and Todd France wanting something in the range of $45-50M.

• Current contract average $40M per year
  • Notice Spotrac puts his current value $43.9M ( this is probably close to what Stephen will offer unless we get to NFCCG or Super Bowl )
  • Just my take, but trade or release are NOT options unless there is a wide gap between what Dak and Todd think he's worth and Stephen drawing the line on what he will pay. Some may ask how this matter.......if we somehow miss the playoff with Dak playing all 17 games, it'll be huge.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/market-value/

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/dak-prescott-19089/

First 3 yrs of daks deal
2021 17.2mil caphit
2022 19.73mil caphit
2023 27.3mil caphit

Lol the norms here will constantly tell us how dak is overpaid, he's crippling the cap at 40mil a yr. Well clearly he's not costing Dallas anywhere near 40mil a yr.

I've been telling them this since the deal was signed, and have reminded them every yr when they start throwing out 40mil a yr cap whining.

Dak has cost Dallas 65.23 mil on the cap since he signed his deal. 21.74 mil aav.

Dallas will probably let dak play on his 59.3 mil caphit next yr because basically they will have a ton of caproom. They plan for this. Something you people don't have a clue about. You continually say they don't know what they're doing. What they have done is, made a 4yr 160 mil qb contract that most said would sink this team and made it a team friendly deal.

Now he does have 36 mil owed in 2 yrs that are already voided but were put there for SB purposes and restructure purposes. Now if Dak stays turning the ball over Dallas can get rid of him next yr as a June cut or a normal release and still have a ton of cap. BUT MOST LIKELY THEY DO WHAT THEY DID WITH ROMO. Extend him next yr and give him bottom end base salary in 2024 and a little higher base in 2025 to offset the cap charge in the restructured money those 2 yrs.

Anybody can say what they want but this was a smart contract by the team and genius the way it was structured.

Last edited: