Lewis over Jones

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I thought the consensus among the 5 posters that think Byron is a good CB was that he matches up better on the inside? Lewis and Awuzie should the two starters on the outside
His experience is in the slot but he physically is built more like an outside guy in Richard's system.
Lewis is a prototype slot CB. I expect he takes that job fairly quickly.

Dallas has 4 starting caliber CBs which is what you want because these guys do get dinged.
And it's nice to have your 4th guy be better than your 2nd guy playing at 75%.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I thought the consensus among the 5 posters that think Byron is a good CB was that he matches up better on the inside? Lewis and Awuzie should the two starters on the outside
I don’t know about anyone else but I never said that. Jones is clearly an outside guy in Richard’s secondary. Anyone saying different isn’t seeing things clearly.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Just my opinion but Lewis will be better in the slot and Jones will be better outside. Not sure they are fighting for the same CB spot.

I would say the same. Jones is not made for the slot.

plasticman

Reaction score
All can say is it's so wonderful to have this "problem".

Byron Jones, Anthony Brown, Jourdan Lewis, Chidobe Awuzie,......what a difference from the Campo nightmare years of Derek Ross, Pete Hunter, Duane Goodriche, Mario Edwards.

I can remember the pride by which Jerry Jones characterized those drafts as he "deftly" moved up and down the draft order.....Kareem Larrimore....Tony Dixon.....They were so bad that you knew the Cowboys were in trouble every single time the opponent threw long. It didn't matter how accurate the pass was because if the receiver didn't catch it then there was sure to be a holding penalty....a really stupid one.

It was always the same.You would get a screen shot of the receiver catching it and racing to the end zone for a TD, a second later Goodriche in the picture running by.......to be followed a second later by that legendary free safety Tony Dixon.

Jones, Brown, Lewis....who cares?They will all see significant playing time....if healthy. The point is, we have them and they will get better because they actually have talent.......and, yes, coaching.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...echnique-helps-him-rebound/?ref=SPORGWIRE.com

Brown expects the technique new secondary coach Kris Richard has brought from Seattle to benefit him and the rest of the cornerbacks this season. Brown calls the kick-step “a huge change.”

“Last year we didn’t have a set technique,” Brown said, via *$@# of the *&$#. “It was pretty much do as you please, whatever makes you comfortable. That’s helping us be patient. and it’s really helping our feet. . . . Whenever we press man and we come up to the line, our first thought in our head is to get that kick-step.”

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I keep thinking it’s still early and eventually Richards will realize Lewis is just better despite the 1/2 inch or whatever. But let’s say he’s just another one of those stubborn coaches that sticks to his template, how many games before they make the switch?

I’m gonna set the Over/Under to 5 Games till they make the switch. What say you?

Stupid Offseason thread...:mad:

Personally, I just want the best guy to play. For the good of the team, it would eb better if its Lewis. But we shall see.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
All can say is it's so wonderful to have this "problem".

Byron Jones, Anthony Brown, Jourdan Lewis, Chidobe Awuzie,......what a difference from the Campo nightmare years of Derek Ross, Pete Hunter, Duane Goodriche, Mario Edwards.

I can remember the pride by which Jerry Jones characterized those drafts as he "deftly" moved up and down the draft order.....Kareem Larrimore....Tony Dixon.....They were so bad that you knew the Cowboys were in trouble every single time the opponent threw long. It didn't matter how accurate the pass was because if the receiver didn't catch it then there was sure to be a holding penalty....a really stupid one.

It was always the same.You would get a screen shot of the receiver catching it and racing to the end zone for a TD, a second later Goodriche in the picture running by.......to be followed a second later by that legendary free safety Tony Dixon.

Jones, Brown, Lewis....who cares?They will all see significant playing time....if healthy. The point is, we have them and they will get better because they actually have talent.......and, yes, coaching.

Those were really bad years for our secondary

cern

Reaction score
It's early. But I've got to believe Richard knows his stuff. Jones should have always been played at corner imo. Seems we finally have a coach who agrees.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Lewis will be in the Scandrick role.

They are putting Jones and Chidobe out wide.

conner01

Reaction score
I wonder if they still use Byron for TE covering duties on obvious passing downs. That would be a way to make use of more of our cornerbacks and fewer of our safeties.

He was actually quite good at that.
Very possible
He’s good at handling athletic TE