Lewis over Jones

kskboys

Reaction score
I thought the consensus among the 5 posters that think Byron is a good CB was that he matches up better on the inside? Lewis and Awuzie should the two starters on the outside
Byron would get abused in the slot. He was good inside covering TE's.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
My goodness, if this is true... so since he's been hired he's: been stripped of the duty he was hired for, called an on-the-job trainee by his boss, now is a walk-around coach who really has not much (according to Romo) to do with the X's and O's and is a rah-rah guy, and now is being stripped of his ability to hire assistants/coordinators?

Why is he here?
He's coming out with a clapping cd.....surely to be a top seller.....the DVD will soon follow.

kskboys

Reaction score
He's going to get abused everywhere if you ask me. He's a straight line, momentum building runner. He cant cover quick twitch elite receivers.
OMG, I luv you and I'm putting you in my will!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have no idea how many times I've tried to say this, and got shouted down by the Byron should be switched to CB crowd. IMO, S was his only position, and if that didn't work out, he was backup material. My opinion.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I will leave the competition on the field as opposed to a message board. Players at several spots will be battling it out as should be.

kskboys

Reaction score
I will leave the competition on the field as opposed to a message board. Players at several spots will be battling it out as should be.
Then why are you here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saying that in a frivolous manner!!! However, discussing stuff like this is what this site is all about. Of course the competition will be on the field, that's blatantly obvious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Then why are you here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Saying that in a frivolous manner!!! However, discussing stuff like this is what this site is all about. Of course the competition will be on the field, that's blatantly obvious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because I pull for all of the players on this team and hope they go out and battle for the job, I want the best guy. This is what any team should strive for to have good competition and have the players settle it on the field. I don't care about anyone pet cat. One thing I notice more times than not are those who throw a hissy fit because their guy did not get the job and then spend the rest of the time coming here whining about it.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Because I pull for all of the players on this team and hope they go out and battle for the job, I want the best guy. This is what any team should strive for to have good competition and have the players settle it on the field. I don't care about anyone pet cat. One thing I notice more times than not are those who throw a hissy fit because their guy did not get the job and then spend the rest of the time coming here whining about it.

You clearly have reading comprehension challenges. This thread is about Talent over Templates, read it again..

Lewis is better than Jones but Jones got the nod because he’s half an inch taller, Brilliant!!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
You clearly have reading comprehension challenges. This thread is about Talent over Templates, read it again..

Lewis is better than Jones but Jones got the nod because he’s half an inch taller, Brilliant!!

I'm sorry coach Richard I did not know I was talking to you. After all you are out there with the players and you know what you are looking for. I must have mistaken you for a message board want to be.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
I'm sorry coach Richard I did not know I was talking to you. After all you are out there with the players and you know what you are looking for. I must have mistaken you for a message board want to be.

Stop whining

John813

Reaction score
It's really not that big of a deal who starts where in OTAs/MC. Lewis will have PS and TC to prove himself.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It's really not that big of a deal who starts where in OTAs/MC. Lewis will have PS and TC to prove himself.

Exactly, right now guys may get penciled in to begin camp but nothing is set in stone. As the pads come on and we hit training camp and pre season I think it will all shake out in the end.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There is no evidence to support that claim.

Nobody knows how Jones will look at CB, especially in the Kris Richard scheme.

I was a fan of drafting Lewis and he showed some potential last season; however, he was far from great.

Awuzie was clearly better than Lewis last season.

It's not an inch difference in height, it's 3 inches. He also has longer arms and bigger hands.

Jones was better in all measurables (speed, agility, jumping, bench, etc.).

I'm not betting against Lewis because he has a winner's attitude (see the skirmish with Dez on All-or Nothing); however, Byron Jones has terrific physical ability.

Lewis projects to the slot this season for 2 reasons:
1: He is likely better against the Cole Beasley type WRs than the other CBs on the roster.

2: Awuzie and Jones have the prototype size and athletic ability on the outside.

The above is true in any scheme but even moreso in the Kris Richard scheme. The press style in that in that scheme works the best on the outside.

FYI - I think in practice, it's likely that the 3rd best CB in the eyes of the coaches is playing most of his snaps on the outside. By definition that means 2nd team. In other words the CB they consider #4 is likely practicing at slot-CB on the 1st team.

Practicing on the 2nd team gives Lewis a better chance of competing with Jones/Awuzie for one of the 2 outside positions than if Lewis was spending all of his time at slot-CB on the 1st team.

cern

Reaction score
Many seem to think the starting lineup is already etched in stone. It is not. Could be Richard knows his stuff.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
There is no evidence to support that claim.

Nobody knows how Jones will look at CB, especially in the Kris Richard scheme.

I was a fan of drafting Lewis and he showed some potential last season; however, he was far from great.

Awuzie was clearly better than Lewis last season.

It's not an inch difference in height, it's 3 inches. He also has longer arms and bigger hands.

Jones was better in all measurables (speed, agility, jumping, bench, etc.).

I'm not betting against Lewis because he has a winner's attitude (see the skirmish with Dez on All-or Nothing); however, Byron Jones has terrific physical ability.

Lewis projects to the slot this season for 2 reasons:
1: He is likely better against the Cole Beasley type WRs than the other CBs on the roster.

2: Awuzie and Jones have the prototype size and athletic ability on the outside.

The above is true in any scheme but even moreso in the Kris Richard scheme. The press style in that in that scheme works the best on the outside.

FYI - I think in practice, it's likely that the 3rd best CB in the eyes of the coaches is playing most of his snaps on the outside. By definition that means 2nd team. In other words the CB they consider #4 is likely practicing at slot-CB on the 1st team.

Practicing on the 2nd team gives Lewis a better chance of competing with Jones/Awuzie for one of the 2 outside positions than if Lewis was spending all of his time at slot-CB on the 1st team.

This thread is about Lewis and Jones, nobody said anything about Awuzie (Our #1 CB.) There’s no evidence that Lewis is better than Jones? Really? LOL....

Lewis is 5’11
Jones is 6’0

Unless you are going by high school measurements...

Time will tell, hopefully Jones proves me wrong but I give it 5 games if he makes through training camp and preseason as the starter which I’m sure by that point others will make threads about Jones being a liability in coverage..

One thing everyone has proven in this thread though and it’s undeniable is that Jones is only the starter due to his measurables, not his talent...