Lions are signing Goff to a four-year, $212 million contract extension ($170 million guaranteed)

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Despite the lack of success in the playoffs , Prescott is generally considered a better QB.

The fact Goff’s teams have had more success reaching SB and Championship is more of a reflection of those teams than Goff carrying them.

Goff didn’t set the Market Price since Burrows received 55 per last year.

I’d look for Lawrence to set it or at least match Burrow. Dallas may wait to see the deal he receives.

But based on Goff’s deal I’d expect Dak to be at least 55. I’m not arguing in favor or against but simply stating the likely parameters .
Which, if I remember correctly, 55 is pretty much exactly what I said in my Dak thread last week.

I agree 100% with your post. 55 million was already the floor for Dak IMO.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What exactly do you consider SKYROCKETED to mean?

NOTHING has changed with Dak.
Yea, it was expected the starting point in negotiations for Prescott was at least 55, the Market Price set last year with Burrows.

I’d argue this 53 per with Goff wouldn’t change that much if at all. And I agree , this is what was expected . Not skyrocketed.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Honestly the NFL should have never fostered an environment where QB’s are so overvalued. And if it’s going to keep on this way, they need to adjust the cap to compensate.
Over valued? You think the Chiefs have those 3 SBs because of their Oline? their Stellar defense? Their amazing coaching?

They arent over valued. The fact is the QB dictates your team's success. PERIOD. This isnt even open for a debate.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Dallas will use the Henry theory of the cap, "we have no cap space to sign him".

This signing has just about assured that Prescott will not be resigned.
you can not be serious? If the Cowboys want to sign him, it will get done. PERIOD. Money isnt going to have a damn thing to do with whether or not Dak is with the Cowboys after this year.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Now we can slot Dak in accordingly:
4 year $165 million Guaranteed ($41.25 mill avg)
Cousins got $160 and Goff $170.
Dak is better than Cousins but Goff is more accomplished than Dak.
They can make the total amount above Goff's $212 Million because it's phony money since it's just fluff added on by the agent to bump up the overall avg. The Guaranteed $ is all that matters.
If Dak balks at that type of deal, then let him walk.
bahahahahahahahhahaahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhahahahah. Dak had a 40 million per year deal last time. You cant come back at me with whatever BS you want about playoff wins or no SBs or whatever.... but Dak has had 3 straight 12 win seasons and you think a new deal is going to barely be more than his last one? Even though QB salaries have gone through the roof?

you can not be serious?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Goff has ended up being the best QB from the 2016 class.

5-4 in the playoffs. More wins than those bums Dak and Romo combined.

8 TDs to 2 INTS in the his playoff career.

A Super Bowl appearance and leading the Lions, yes the Lions, to the NFC Championship game.

If any team pays Dak more than what Goff is being paid then they will deserve the failure that Dak brings them.
Cry, cry cry! Quitter

Reid1boys

Reaction score
the cowboys will never sign dak to that kind of deal i am not sure they are even going to sign c d lamb to a contract extension
Have you only been watching the Cowboys for the last 2 years? Not a chance in hell Lamb doesnt get an extension... and its 30 million per season, no matter what some of you crazies think. Every time a player signs a new deal, so many of you say... that is crazy, no player is worth that.

Do you pay any attention to what the NFL is making each year? Rumor is Netflix is about to kick down 100 million dollar per game for a 2 game Christmas package.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Mahomes should make at least 25% more than any other QB. Use his salary as the yardstick for all others.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Have you only been watching the Cowboys for the last 2 years? Not a chance in hell Lamb doesnt get an extension... and its 30 million per season, no matter what some of you crazies think. Every time a player signs a new deal, so many of you say... that is crazy, no player is worth that.

Do you pay any attention to what the NFL is making each year? Rumor is Netflix is about to kick down 100 million dollar per game for a 2 game Christmas package.
So each team gets about $3 million for that and it has to split it with the players as regards revenue. Does not sound like much to me

CWR

Reaction score
The Lions might have overpaid. In a year or 2 they may want to play Hendon Hooker.
I dont doubt that, but they helped set the market nonetheless. Nothing the FO says against it will matter.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Just look into the games(not at face value) only way to view it.

Agree Goff was nothing spectacular with the Rams in the playoffs. He played medicore at best, however was good in the playoffs with the lions. Had them leading 24-7 at halftime before they melted down on both sides of the ball after the Gibbs fumble. Goes back to another thread how momentum changes games instantly....

Prescott has better face value stats in the playoffs overall. Slightly better ypa, 24tds vs 8tds however Goff has way less turnovers 7-2. Daks turnovers have contributed to tons of points. Dak put up a ton of his actual yardage and Tds once starters and certain backups were removed from the game.

Not saying they both have been anything spectacular but Goff has paid slightly better lately

Dak had a great regular season but no one besides fantasy people care about that. It's what you do in the post season
I agree its what you do in the post season and Goff has not been that great either is my point lol. He didn't get this money because of his playoff play. Can't be. I think the hope is that he will be better than he has been especially with better personnel and another year there.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Crazy money… greed is ruining this sport.

You can’t effectively field a team with the cap where it’s at and star players (agents) demanding to reset the market with every deal.

I am all for the owners sharing more of the pie with the players. I just think this system is fundamentally flawed in it’s current form.

Consider:

Troy Aikman’s highest cap charge was 16 million in 1999 (base of 6.667 million). He made a TOTAL of 55 million as a Cowboy (10 million of which was dead money) in 12 seasons

Now— in 1/3 the time (4 seasons), Jared Goff is GUARANTEED to make 3 X what Aikaman earned OVER HIS ENTIRE HOF CAREER.

That is not “inflation”. That is insanity.
The sport has grown by leaps and bounds since Aikman. Stay tuned , im about to go all Bobhaze on you all and write about this fact.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
you can not be serious? If the Cowboys want to sign him, it will get done. PERIOD. Money isnt going to have a damn thing to do with whether or not Dak is with the Cowboys after this year.
Yea, give Jethro credit he’s simply been waiting to see where the Market would be with Goff, Tua and Lawrence who will probably set new Market Price .

With the frustration from playoffs it would have been poor public perception to pull the trigger first.As much of a critic I am of our owner , this looks to be a smart move.

The Goff deal provides more of a baseline . Hopefully Lawrence doesn’t push 60 per. I think Dak will fall somewhere closer to 55 +. It will prob be over 60 next year.

For all of the detractors it’s not about what a QB is worth but what the Market Price currently is. That’s just the nature of business in the NFL.

Last edited:

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
‪Jerry Jones dilly-dallied and now he’s going to try to liw-ball Dak, screwing over the team. ‬