Looking like Dan Quinn will return

Status
Not open for further replies.

glimmerman

Reaction score
This is not the first time we lost to packers under Quinn. Remember when we lost to the packers during regular season. Our Defense blew a 28 point lead. Were were up by 28 points in the third quarter and lost.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
You could easily make the argument that the line performed better when the backups were in the game. Just sayin.

Maybe he will be healthier in 2024 but people need to get over the idea that he is still an elite player. That ship has sailed.

Last years contract extension was another example of this team paying "their" guys A) for past performance \ comfort level and\or B) they let the player use their failure to have a replacement ready as leverage against them.
I don’t really agree with the idea that he’s not an “elite player”…he may not be the same old Martin but he’s still damn good. Sure, last year maybe he was 3rd best on the o line but that’s because Tyler smith was also very good and so was Tyron, Tyron who is always good but it’s just a matter of health.

Zack being 3rd compared to those 2 is like finishing 3rd at the miss America pageant- it doesn’t make you ugly. Agree, he isn’t the same player he was but that’s because he set the standard so high and he was still an all pro.

jgboys1

Reaction score
Cowboys collapse has basically deflated DQ’s value. But we’re glad to have him back. Lol

We like our guys. 12-5 “3-Peat” is best run with Jethro & Son post Jimmy’s team era.
By the end of next season, we will all be wishing we were 12-5 and knocked out in the first round. Hopefully we start drafting better with the lower draft picks coming our way in the next few seasons.

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The Seattle Seahawks are rumored to be waiting for Ravens Defensive Coordinator Mike MacDonald, and it looks like Washington want the Lions Offensive Coordinator Ben Johnson. That means the Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn is likely to return to Dallas for the 2024 season. Both he and Mike McCarthy will be on short contracts. 2024 could be a do or die year for the Cowboys coaches. They really need to get it right.

There are some players getting near the end also: Zack Martin, DeMarcus Lawrence, Leighton Vander Esch will be in the final year of their deals. Cooks is signed for one more season, also. But Lewis, Gilmore, Hankins, Pollard, Kearse, Gallimore and Tyron Smith will all be free agents.

Could the Cowboys bring back CB Anthony Brown to play the slot, since he's had a full year to heal from his injury?
I hope this isn't accurate. MacDonald would be at the top of my list to replace Mike in 25 after the upcoming throw away year because jerry is too much of a cheap $&& to pay him to leave.

Creeper

Reaction score
Very intriguing turn of events to have the defense look lost and playing prevent and zone. Makes me wonder if there were behind the scenes events between he and Jerry.
I don't know but has Quinn faced the media yet since that Packers loss? Has anyone asked him what the heck happened?

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
don't question the mighty quinn. He was using a new defense, which oftentimes geniuses do in important games. It backfired and he didn't care because he thought he had another gig at the end of the year.
Well, the laugh is on you guys. High-five, the quinn medicine woman doctor is back with his hat on backwards.

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'd love Dan Quinn back. What happened against GB and the run this year was not his fault. We lost LVE, Diggs, Hankins for a while, Gilmore was hurt vs GB which forced us into a zone and Mazi did not take the next step.
Same here, Quinn is a good DC. Some of the defense's recent shortcomings are his fault but he's reinvented his approach and with that some trial and error is expected. I'd trust him to make adjustments and upgrade a few positions... Hopefully with the Jones's cooperation in draft free agency this will happen.

Motorola

Reaction score
This is not the first time we lost to packers under Quinn. Remember when we lost to the packers during regular season. Our Defense blew a 28 point lead. Were were up by 28 points in the third quarter and lost.
2022 - week 10.
Game was tied 14-14 at the half.
Cowboys scored two TDs in the 3rd qtr, which doubled the lead to 28 -14.
Packers scored two 4th qtr TDs to tie the game at 28.
Green Bay then kicked a FG in OT to win 31-28.

Mark

Reaction score
[Re Zack Martin:] no player has the "right" to decide when he comes or goes.
Produce or pack up. Doesn't matter what you did yesterday. Today is all that matters.
Are you suggesting that ZM has not "produced?" He's probably the best player on the team.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The Seattle Seahawks are rumored to be waiting for Ravens Defensive Coordinator Mike MacDonald, and it looks like Washington want the Lions Offensive Coordinator Ben Johnson. That means the Cowboys defensive coordinator Dan Quinn is likely to return to Dallas for the 2024 season. Both he and Mike McCarthy will be on short contracts. 2024 could be a do or die year for the Cowboys coaches. They really need to get it right.

There are some players getting near the end also: Zack Martin, DeMarcus Lawrence, Leighton Vander Esch will be in the final year of their deals. Cooks is signed for one more season, also. But Lewis, Gilmore, Hankins, Pollard, Kearse, Gallimore and Tyron Smith will all be free agents.

Could the Cowboys bring back CB Anthony Brown to play the slot, since he's had a full year to heal from his injury?
As long as he's cheap they should at least bring Brown back to camp to see what he has. Not a lot of speed in our secondary.

LVE - I assume he's done. They didn't even pretend for a second that he might come back last year. That's unlike Jerry.

Martin and Lawrence had good years.

If we can get Tyron on the kind of deal we gave him this year, we should snap him up. But I could see him trying to get a multiyear contract somewhere as list last chance at a big chunk of change. It's up to Tyron.

Cooks got his contract almost all in signing bonus. Smart man. He's not worth his cap hit, but he's easily worth his 4mil salary next year.

Gallimore gone.

Hankins maybe at least signed because he's been so cheap, but he should just be cheap roster insurance, not a starter. Gotta stop pretending that he's a good player.

Pollard is interesting. He started to look more like his old self at the end of last year. I have no idea what the market for him will be. We obviously paid too much for an injured player last year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Zack Martin: His 2024 salary is 18M guaranteed. He signed a new 2 year contract last summer after his holdout.
- He did not play very well in 2023.
- Martin was the 3rd best OLineman on the team in 2023.
- Tyron and Tyler were better when ZM.
I thought T&T were better than ZM for a while last year, but I think Tyler dropped off toward the end of the season.
I'd still give #1 to Tyron over Zack.

PFF really didn't like Zack. 68. Lower than Biadasz. Though Zack was voted 1st Team All Pro.

Cowfan75Lives

Reaction score
This is news to absolutely NOBODY but the media. We love everyone, everything is fine, run it all back.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dan Quinn is a top 5 DC so if he comes back so be it.

But the fan base has every right to be ticked off at him IMO.
He was setting up an insane number of interviews the week of the WC game.
I never begrudge a man a better job and better pay but I do hate campaigning for a new position while falling asleep at the one you have now.

The Dallas defense was TOTALLY undressed versus GB. 7 starting defenders graded below 50 by PFF.
We did not get pressure, failed to stop the run and had at least occasions where a WR was open by 10+ yards.
That is epic ineptitude.

And yes the 215-pound backers were duct taped in place after 0 and 55 were out injured but that was zero reason to get no pass rush and allow no name WRs to be 10 yards open.

McCarthy's game plan also fell to pieces but at least it appears he was trying very hard to keep the job he has.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Cowboys collapse has basically deflated DQ’s value. But we’re glad to have him back. Lol

We like our guys. 12-5 “3-Peat” is best run with Jethro & Son post Jimmy’s team era.
Mike, Quinn and Dak all returning. The definition of insanity is trying the same thing multiple times and expecting different results. Yup, Jerrah is bonkers, as are some of our fans who will expect something better next year.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
I thought T&T were better than ZM for a while last year, but I think Tyler dropped off toward the end of the season.
I'd still give #1 to Tyron over Zack.

PFF really didn't like Zack. 68. Lower than Biadasz. Though Zack was voted 1st Team All Pro.
Zack has been noticeably less dominate the last 2 years.
He is a HOF player to be sure but dings have robbed him of being a top 2-3 OG the past couple seasons.
All-Pro is largely reputation.
PFF has issues but at least they judge each guy fresh each game.
The scoring makes bias very hard to maintain because they use many different scorers and average them.
He is still plus OG to be sure but he is getting series and halves off now.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Mike, Quinn and Dak all returning. The definition of insanity is trying the same thing multiple times and expecting different results. Yup, Jerrah is bonkers, as are some of our fans who will expect something better next year.
While i wouldn't say you are wrong here it is worth noting every HC, QB, DC to win a SB has had MANY seasons where they didn't.
I am not overly excited about status quo but if it really is one last shot before a full rebuild then let's roll.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Tyron Smith contract is up ? Didht know that . I would only bring him back at vet minimum given the half dozen games or so per season he needs to mend . Boy oh boy LVE is done I have no doubt and the LB position is paper thin . OL and LB critical at the draft . And find a RB to pair with Pollard ( pay cut )
first of all he's not gonna play for the veteran minimum only that would be what is basic contract probably should be structured but he should be able to earn up to $6 million the man was the top 10 tackle in this league this year when he played I don't remember how many games he missed but it wasn't that many because when he was on the field he was one of our best lineman so I think we need to bring him back..

Of course it should be incentive field for him to earn a lot of money by how many games he actually plays but not offering him more than a veteran minimum is ridiculous there's guys who are so much worse than him that make $6 million a year I'll take tyron Smith over Tony Pollard any day of the week and Tony made 10 million last year entire and only made six cause he restructured his contract... So yes they need to be smart with some of these contracts for these players if they say they bring Leighton vander ash back needs to be mostly incentive structure..

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Zack has been noticeably less dominate the last 2 years.
He is a HOF player to be sure but dings have robbed him of being a top 2-3 OG the past couple seasons.
All-Pro is largely reputation.
PFF has issues but at least they judge each guy fresh each game.
The scoring makes bias very hard to maintain because they use many different scorers and average them.
He is still plus OG to be sure but he is getting series and halves off now.
Yeah, I see Zack losing snaps, not looking as strong in his anchor as he used to be.

On PFF, people can complain as much as they like. It's not perfect, but whatever it is, you have the same process applied across years. It's not like they haven't loved Zack's play in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.