Losing Witten would be crippling W/O replacement

jnday

Reaction score
I'm a Witten guy. In my office/man cave, I sit back and look every day at the picture of him on my wall helmetless, but still running against the Eagles. Love the man.

But he's outworn his welcome, only because he's close to Garrett and the Joneses. We have two extremely athletic TE's on this roster that we've hardly seen much of because we are loyal to a fault to Witten. It's time.
Do you mean those two extremely athletic TEs that showed little to nothing last season when Witten was not around? Neither one of those two are starter quality TEs.

jedishogun

Reaction score
According to Matt Miller column today
Cowboys st 17 looking DT, safety or trade back based on his league contacts.
I wonder how Matt Miller can write this article about Dallas’s draft with confidence? The season just ended and the Cowboys hasn’t even set their new coaching staff. I know we have crazy old Jerruh but I bet he is still worrying about his old and future head coach at this moment.

CB61

Reaction score
I think we would be all right with Blake jarwin and Dalton Schultz it will be some growing pains with them but jarwin was well on his way in my opinion before wet came back and maybe we draft one and or a decent tight end in free agency to get us over the hump

blueblood70

Reaction score
thats bit of an exaggeration, we do need an upgrade to TE1 for sure..i dont think any of our TEs is a true 1 but cripple, no , I mean how many targets went to aTE?
we had TW(2) 1k yard WRs, a 1400Yard RB , and a RB2 who were both underutilized in this offense.. I mean nearly 5k in passing without a true Te1

do we need a super starting TE?

well if we cant keep Amari and make Gallup our 1 sure..however in this offense those passes can go to Pollard and zeke and should a lot more regardless whos our TE.. the TE was not abig factor the last 2 seasons and the offense moved pretty well...

so im not using a 1st rounder on a TE we need a run stuffing DL and a Safety those are high priority's..might even need a CB and others..

you have to factor in we have lie 15plus UFA on defense we need to replace as well as an upgrade needed at DL and S..so no way we need to use a 1st rounder on aTE..

maybe find one in the 3rd round but thats only if Amari leaves...

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I read all over this forum about Witten and how he's holding Jarwin back. But to be honest Jarwin is a nice compliment, but shouldnt be nowhere near a starter. He is unusable in the running game. And we know this because Dallas was a strictly inside run team in 2018. Why because the TEs couldnt block the outside.

And it doesnt limit the handicap only to the run game. Theres a reason Dak was sacked at a record pace in 2018 because TEs couldnt help in pass blocking either. It was horrible.

Jarwin is a nice guy to go out and run a seam or a out to the sideline and get forgotten about by the defense because he's not a threat. That would work for the team if he comes in, in situations but if he's a starter then he's not getting them suprise the defense situations.

This team needs a complete TE, theres a reason Dallas wanted Geodert with Witten moving to the booth.

As much as Witten declined with age, Jarwin isnt half the TE Witten is. Jarwin is a guy you bring in, in situations. Not a guy you depend on regularly.

IMO Cole Kmet is just what this team needs. And picking him at 17 would be a great for this team. I see needs on defense but this defense needs veteran leadership. They have plenty of young talent who arent ready to be leaders. The offense is full of vet leaders. With the cap this team has, go and pluck a couple of vets in FA for this defense that are able to lead on the field.

Ignoring the loss of Witten would be a huge mistake as Dak found out in 2018 when im sure plenty of Monday mornings he woke up sore from the beating he took on sunday.

Witten is a serviceable player but it’s obvious Jarwin is better then him at this point.

It’s time to move on from him because we can’t seem to get him in a smaller role as a backup and Jarwin is a more dynamic player anyways and our offense needs dynamic players and not guys that put no pressure on the safeties.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
thats bit of an exaggeration, we do need an upgrade to TE1 for sure..i dont think any of our TEs is a true 1 but cripple, no , I mean how many targets went to aTE?
we had TW(2) 1k yard WRs, a 1400Yard RB , and a RB2 who were both underutilized in this offense.. I mean nearly 5k in passing without a true Te1

well if we cant keep Amari and make Gallup our 1 sure..however in this offense those passes can go to Pollard and zeke and should a lot more regardless whos our TE.. the TE was not abig factor the last 2 seasons and the offense moved pretty well...

so im not using a 1st rounder on a TE we need a run stuffing DL and a Safety those are high priority's..might even need a CB and others..

you have to factor in we have lie 15plus UFA on defense we need to replace as well as an upgrade needed at DL and S..so no way we need to use a 1st rounder on aTE..

OJ Howard will probably be available.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Kmet appears to be a second rounder as of your post today but after the NFL scouts make their draft boards he will probably be a mid first round pick. Are there any other tight ends that we need to take a look at in the draft or free agency?
Albert O may be the most physically talented, but he seems to be getting in the 2nd right now. Still needs alot of work

jwitten82

Reaction score
Uhh we made the playoffs last season without him. Notice how op hast responded to that lol

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
OJ Howard will probably be available.
Id be all over that. Howard is the the type TE we need. A guy that can stretch the field as an inline TE. I dont expect us to ditch our run mentality even with a new coach.

With a run heavy, an inline TE is far more important than a move TE like Jarwin

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Smart football people that watch film know that Jarwin is a budding star at the TE position. Stick with your under the radar guy at TE and spend the money and resources elsewhere.

Jarwin has some speed, and can fill in just like a WR when needed.

We need to design more plays where it looks like he's in to block but in reality is in a pass pattern. Preferably one down the seam and its seems like ages since
we have seen that type of play. We tend to throw sideline to TE's

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Jarwin has some speed, and can fill in just like a WR when needed.

We need to design more plays where it looks like he's in to block but in reality is in a pass pattern. Preferably one down the seam and its seems like ages since
we have seen that type of play. We tend to throw sideline to TE's

Once again a predictable play by our genius coaching staff NOTHING creative at all.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ya TE is the missing Superbowl link for us!
Dak needs a STUD TE hence the reason we can't score over 15 points against good defenses!:omg::muttley:
What happened to Elliot. I thought he was the scoring machine

Beaker42

Reaction score
I would not see them taking a TE at 17. This board would be flipping out. Heck they were flipping out at taking a TE in the 2nd round a couple of times.
That’s because when we took Escobar Witten was still years away from being done. Just a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE pick at that time. I literally punched my TV hard enough to break it but thank goodness I didn’t. Also yelled the F word loud enough I scared my dogs half to death.

Might do it now just thinking about hearing Gavin’s name uttered as the pick.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
That’s because when we took Escobar Witten was still years away from being done. Just a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE pick at that time. I literally punched my TV hard enough to break it but thank goodness I didn’t. Also yelled the F word loud enough I scared my dogs half to death.

Might do it now just thinking about hearing Gavin’s name uttered as the pick.

LLLOOOLLL

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Albert O may be the most physically talented, but he seems to be getting in the 2nd right now. Still needs alot of work
Ok. I will check him out. I dont understand how Shultz became such a bad blocker. That is why I am intrigued by Greg Roman. He seems to develop blocking tight ends and fullbacks. I would love us to become a smash mouth team on offense.