Lots of speculation RG3 has a torn ACL

Cowboys22

Reaction score
daboyzareback;4949571 said:

There's more going on here then has come out yet. Something just doesn't make sense. Four weeks ago after the Ravens game, he had the MRI right after the game and they immediately came out and said it was just a sprain. This time they hold the results and then tell us the MRI is unclear and what they see may be the results of his prior ACL injury. Why wasn't that the case 4 weeks ago? Don't they have that MRI to compare it to? That tells me they know there is more damage to the knee this time but they just don't want to let that news out right now given the circumstances and the news coverage. He is flying down to see the doctor because that knee is messed up and they know it. He will probably end up with a full reconstruction and they will tell us in a few weeks or so when the outrage has died down a little. The secretive nature of this whole affair points to very bad news. If he was fine or there was no new damage, they would know it by now and they would be shouting it on every sports show in the country.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Avery;4949803 said:
I just spit out my drink seeing this photo.

Yeah. I cracks me up, too.

(I do think RGIII's injury is a crying shame, though).

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Wezsh0T;4949779 said:
I thought that was an MCL. Oops...you're right. Torn ACL. No idea how you could even do that.

You do it with a gigantic huge brace that stabilizes the joint, like RG3 was wearing. I don't think it's too much of a hyperbole to suggest that without that brace he might have suffered some Cadillac Williams/Robert Edwards caliber knee damage playing on it with that much instability. As gruesome as that final play was, imagine how the knee would have bent without being caged by stainless steel.

Stryker44

Reaction score
Beast_from_East;4950240 said:
Well I care, because RG3 is a Texas kid that went to Baylor.

While I hate the Commanders, I am a fan of RG3 and I hate to hear that he may miss all or part of the 2013 season.

Believe it or not, you can be a fan of different players around the league without being a fan of the team they are on.

That's how I felt about Emmitt Smith when he played for the Cowboys. I hated that he played for the Cowboys but couldn't help but respect how he played the game.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
InmanRoshi;4950736 said:
You do it with a gigantic huge brace that stabilizes the joint, like RG3 was wearing. I don't think it's too much of a hyperbole to suggest that without that brace he might have suffered some Cadillac Williams/Robert Edwards caliber knee damage playing on it with that much instability. As gruesome as that final play was, imagine how the knee would have bent without being caged by stainless steel.

Yep. What's more, the Skins had to know the extent of his problem before they let him play on it. So it goes. Injuries stink; he's a very, very good young player, and he'll be hobbled or out for the next season of his development.

rynochop

Reaction score
Who wants to set the over/under on games he plays next season? 8?

I agree with someone above, I'm betting its really serious with this business about Andrews not clearing him and shany playing him anyway, and now saying it was a miscommunication.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
Being that he tore his ACL in 2009, this obviously doesn't bode well for him. Your ACL isn't going to get stronger after more surgeries haha. He is going to have to damn near eliminate running from his game if he is going to want a long career in the NFL.

This sucks for him as a player but it is good news for the Cowboys. I'm going to guess that he will play about 5-6 games next year. Even those will be limited.

Stryker44

Reaction score
ajk23az;4950843 said:
Being that he tore his ACL in 2009, this obviously doesn't bode well for him. Your ACL isn't going to get stronger after more surgeries haha. He is going to have to damn near eliminate running from his game if he is going to want a long career in the NFL.

This sucks for him as a player but it is good news for the Cowboys. I'm going to guess that he will play about 5-6 games next year. Even those will be limited.

Actually hope at this point he gets saved for OTA's in 2014 rather than bringing him back at less than 100 percent.

The hit he took from Ngata initially was a freak injury hit, but its on the organization for not recognizing it hadn't fully healed.

If anything Cousins should have played the last 2 games in addition to Cleveland. Ordinarily I don't think we beat the Cowboys with Cousins necessarily, but looking at the fact that RGIII was 9 for 18 for 100 yards in that game, its obvious that Morris carried us. I thought going in we'd probably need over 30 points to win, though.

The funny thing is that Cousins actually has the most passing yards for one game this season.

1fisher

Reaction score
ajk23az;4950843 said:

Do you know if he had ACL replacement surgery in 2009? If so, the ACL is stronger than it was before surgery. I had ACL replacement many years ago where they took a piece of my Patella tendon and made a new ACL ligament. The doc said it was stronger than ever....... but it could still be torn!

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Idgit;4950766 said:
Yep. What's more, the Skins had to know the extent of his problem before they let him play on it. So it goes.

Yeah, you don't put a brace like that on a player who depends on mobility unless you know that the knee needs some serious stabilization, likely with an ACL issue (the last time I saw a QB play with a brace that size was Phillip Rivers with the ACL tear). And maybe my eyes deceive me, but it looks like the brace he wore against Seattle was even bulkier than the one he wore against us (and bigger than the brace he wore against Cleveland), which would indicate they knew the joint was getting more unstable the more he was playing on it. And then after the 2nd TD, Shanny runs over to RG3 and then he disappears behind the secret compartment on the sidelines ... probably to get the stability of the knee re-evaluated, which indicates they were already aware and concerned about further damaging it.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
1fisher;4950912 said:
Do you know if he had ACL replacement surgery in 2009? If so, the ACL is stronger than it was before surgery. I had ACL replacement many years ago where they took a piece of my Patella tendon and made a new ACL ligament. The doc said it was stronger than ever....... but it could still be torn!

While the actual tendon itself is stronger, since it's "like new", is the blood supply to the new ligament is stronger/better? My understanding is ligament regeneration is dependent on blood flow, and that will be a factor to consider as to whether a partial ACL tear would need complete reconstruction surgery or just rest/rehab.

gmb85

Reaction score
HA HA HA! Fail to the Deadskins! :laugh2:

b81d4c389e5b3d22230f6a706700e0b8.jpg

1fisher

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4950945 said:
While the actual tendon itself is stronger, since it's "like new", is the blood supply to the new ligament is stronger/better? My understanding is ligament regeneration is dependent on blood flow, and that will be a factor to consider as to whether a partial ACL tear would need complete reconstruction surgery or just rest/rehab.

Is there even blood flow to the "new ligament"..... I watched the video of my surgery and they drilled holes through the femur and tibia and pulled the new ACL through those holes and attached with screws. Maybe blood will flow.... I don't know.

My knee is now tighter than ever but I have some serious arthritis! :D

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
1fisher;4950990 said:
Is there even blood flow to the "new ligament"..... I watched the video of my surgery and they drilled holes through the femur and tibia and pulled the new ACL through those holes and attached with screws. Maybe blood will flow.... I don't know.

My knee is now tighter than ever but I have some serious arthritis! :D

Ligaments don't get much blood flow as it is, which is why they don't regenerate very fast, but I read that blood flow is a key factor as to whether doctors advise patients get partially torn ACLs reconstructed.

Glad it worked out for you.

1fisher

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4951040 said:
Ligaments don't get much blood flow as it is, which is why they don't regenerate very fast, but I read that blood flow is a key factor as to whether doctors advise patients get partially torn ACLs reconstructed.

Glad it worked out for you.

When I first tore the ligament the doc put me in a cast from my hip to my ankle for 12 weeks and told me it would heal in that time frame (I was 18). Apparently it did but the joint was still weak. I rehabbed it for months and then tore it completely about three years later. That's when I got the ACL replacement done.

If this is the second one for RG then he's got an uphill battle.

slaga

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4950934 said:
... but it looks like the brace he wore against Seattle was even bulkier than the one he wore against us (and bigger than the brace he wore against Cleveland), which would indicate they knew the joint was getting more unstable the more he was playing on it...

Really? RG3 did not even play against Cleveland.

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of making a petition on that whitehouse site to please free RG3 from the stupid skins. He deserves to have an NFL career on a decent minded team. Not one that is going to kill him.

kjcmeb

Reaction score
Schefter - Robert Griffin expected to undergo surgery this week on torn LCL and at that time doctors will determine if any damage has been done to ACL.

RastaRocket

Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.
Reaction score
CitySlicker202;4950479 said:
Yes, he's had at least one concussion and an ACL issue back at Baylor. As a Skins fan I understand the reality in that RG3 is just way too young to be sustaining these major injuries at 22. Although his style of play isn't what I'd call "reckless", exposing your body beyond the line of scrimmage can always be dangerous to a QB. If he won't be ready in time for 2013, the temperature of the fanbase is that we're comfortable giving the ball to Kirk Cousins Week 1 and going from there basically.

Those injuries are very worrying. Two ACLs and two concussions already. I remember when Troy had concussion issues.