Machota on the new DC if Quinn leaves

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Outside of Bland, who had half of the team's interceptions and Parsons, who had nearly a third of the total team sacks, not many on the defense contributed to "splash" plays.

I think the team became too dependant on these two to turn a game each week.

Other defensive stats such as yards per game and scoring were not bad. However, the Achilles heel seems to have been the inability to stop the opposition in long, sustained drives. I haven't seen any stats on the percent of 3 and outs allowed by a defense, but I bet the Cowboys didn't rank well in this area.

My concern is with the likely FO thinking that is Diggs returns and there is incremental improvement in other players, all will be good.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Im just waiting on the “Dan Quinn is returning to the Cowboys in 2024” tweet at this point

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think Quinn was the problem. I think the injuries to Overshown, and LVE really hurt this defense. He was playing with a 215lb LB out of necessity not want.
After Overshown’s injury, which was in August, it never seemed like this FO was that serious about getting some help in here. We signed some retread off the street but they could have made a trade.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Outside of Bland, who had half of the team's interceptions and Parsons, who had nearly a third of the total team sacks, not many on the defense contributed to "splash" plays.

I think the team became too dependant on these two to turn a game each week.

Other defensive stats such as yards per game and scoring were not bad. However, the Achilles heel seems to have been the inability to stop the opposition in long, sustained drives. I haven't seen any stats on the percent of 3 and outs allowed by a defense, but I bet the Cowboys didn't rank well in this area.

My concern is with the likely FO thinking that is Diggs returns and there is incremental improvement in other players, all will be good.
In 12 of the 18 games the team played in 2023, the defense gave up points on the first possession. Getting Turnovers masked a ton of this D’s weaknesses. If they were not getting them, they were an average defense.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
In 12 of the 18 games the team played in 2023, the defense gave up points on the first possession. Getting Turnovers masked a ton of this D’s weaknesses. If they were not getting them, they were an average defense.
I agree, Bob. It just seems like we are still missing a complimentary pass rusher opposite Parsons and NT/MLB combination that can stop the run in critical 3rd down situations

CowboysFanKY88

Reaction score
Come on man. Yes he was terrible. Overshown was a rookie, so we have no clue how much, if any, he would have helped us. LVE wasn't great either, even when healthy. Lets stop the excuses for bad coaching. I am praying DQ leaves and then we hire the right guy as DC. Then we gotta draft well. Micah needs to be moved back to linebacker, that much is clear. Hes better there.
Oh I agree, I just don’t think they had the right personnel and GB exploited our lack of size at LB.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
I don’t think Quinn was the problem. I think the injuries to Overshown, and LVE really hurt this defense. He was playing with a 215lb LB out of necessity not want.
His defense faced a Kyle Shanahan offense 7 times and got absolutely destroyed every time.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
I’m extremely down on Quinn right now and do have questions about his in game feel but his biggest deficiencies beyond that are roster issues. If they can fill some holes, a big if, and tweak a few minor things - there’s a reason he’s a respected coordinator and up for coaching jobs.

In this moment his stock is low but the idea that he’s a bumbling buffoon who sucks is just more hyperbole from this place

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They been getting exploited since the rams play off game in like 2018. Nothings changed with this defense since then.
Yep. Linebackers weren’t too small either. Just another excuse we gonna come up with. Yeah it was a issue this year but not last year.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
Can't link it as it's a paid service but in Machota's 5 things that must change in 2024 (Run game, better Prescott in big games, improved road performance, must draft well unlike 2023 and defensive improvement) he says this about Dan Quinn's replacement should he leave.

-

The biggest uncertainty at the moment for the Cowboys is who will be calling their defense. Defensive coordinator Dan Quinn is in the process of interviewing with several teams for their head coach openings. If he doesn’t get one of those jobs, will he back in Dallas for another season? Probably so. If he’s not back, who is taking over that very important position? It’s unlikely that someone in house would be next in line. It would probably go to a coach with previous NFL head coaching experience.

-

No in house. Someone with prior head coaching experience. Which would mean more of a scheme change than if they elevated Nit Whitt Jr.
well I don't want any old guys here either, get a vrable or something, when I say old guys I mean guys that were mentioned being here 10 years ago lol, Frazier

Sydla

Reaction score
Im just waiting on the “Dan Quinn is returning to the Cowboys in 2024” tweet at this point
At this point, I think we should all expect it.

Same staff, same offseason strategy (LOL at people talking about what we need in FA, we'll nickel and dime the **** out of FA again this year), same marketing/PR blitz from Jerry and Stephen about how this is the best team he's had.

And then we'll all be back here next January laughing (and maybe crying) at Jerry's stupidity and the gullibleness of some of our fans that actually thought bringing the whole gang back was wise.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
At this point, I think we should all expect it.

Same staff, same offseason strategy (LOL at people talking about what we need in FA, we'll nickel and dime the **** out of FA again this year), same marketing/PR blitz from Jerry and Stephen about how this is the best team he's had.

And then we'll all be back here next January laughing (and maybe crying) at Jerry's stupidity and the gullibleness of some of our fans that actually thought bringing the whole gang back was wise.
and he'll say the same about how we were close and we're going to run it back in 2025 with the same guys

kramskoi

Reaction score
Can't link it as it's a paid service but in Machota's 5 things that must change in 2024 (Run game, better Prescott in big games, improved road performance, must draft well unlike 2023 and defensive improvement) he says this about Dan Quinn's replacement should he leave.

-

The biggest uncertainty at the moment for the Cowboys is who will be calling their defense. Defensive coordinator Dan Quinn is in the process of interviewing with several teams for their head coach openings. If he doesn’t get one of those jobs, will he back in Dallas for another season? Probably so. If he’s not back, who is taking over that very important position? It’s unlikely that someone in house would be next in line. It would probably go to a coach with previous NFL head coaching experience.

-

No in house. Someone with prior head coaching experience. Which would mean more of a scheme change than if they elevated Nit Whitt Jr.
You can't bring Dan Quinn back. It would be like bringing back Kellen Moore in 2022.