Management dropped the ball

John813

Reaction score
Reading about Miller, he left LA, who did try to retain him, for the Bills due to they offered the most amount of money and the team they built including players on their team such as Diggs and Allen.
So, chance for the most cash and a team with realistic SB chances.

IIRC the hoopla about Miller in Dallas was that he did mention Dallas as an option but the Cowboys offered him the same contract they did to RG and he wanted a bit more

Proof

Reaction score
stated facts

Its not poster shaming, he made an attempt to blame our team and management for not signing Von, when no other team did but Buffalo. especially his last 2 teams that are far more ignorant for letting this final SUPER secret MVP piece to a SB go...:facepalm::muttley:

right that just a bad post. Not shaming, all facts, the post nor your comments aged well. Fell flat.. also, facts are its ONE game overreactions, as usual, just another excuse to further rip our own team and its laughable. :muttley::popcorn::espn:

I don't think LA could afford what Von was looking for. He WANTED to play for Dallas and could have been a huge addition. That's why Dallas specifically is being called out.

Creeper

Reaction score
If last years 12 - 5 roster was not close...then good Lord what is close? Didn't the Bengals get to the SB with a 2nd year QB coming off a major injury and a 2nd year head coach? The NFC is ripe for the picking...the owner is 80 years old....we downgrade the roster and emerge from the offseason with the 3rd most cap room in the NFL. Make that make sense!

The Bills looked like an up and coming team last season, with a definitive need on the DL, which they addressed. The Cowboys looked overmatched by a beat up 49ers team. The Cowboys did nothing to really address their losses in the off season so they are a team on a downward trend. I would take note of last night's game and the Rams OL, because that is where the Cowboys OL is right now. Adding Vo Miller, would not address the Cowboys biggest problem going into 2022.

pansophy

Reaction score
Oh man all I could think about last night was if we had von Miller coming off edge with parsons how nasty our defense would’ve been. Not even mentioning dlaw to the picture. Wow management don’t wanna win
From the broadcast last night they sad Miller specifically wanted a chance to be the first player to win a super bowl on 3 teams. I don't think there was anything we could do to convince him that we are closer than Buffalo to a super bowl.

Ken

Reaction score
Oh man all I could think about last night was if we had von Miller coming off edge with parsons how nasty our defense would’ve been. Not even mentioning dlaw to the picture. Wow management don’t wanna win
I wanted Von for the obvious reason that he is a difference-making player.

If we had not gotten a guy like Sam Williams in the draft, I would have been pounding that drum all off-season. I am fine with what we did because, while Sam won't impact THIS season like Von, he will impact it and he will be even better in future years.

The Rams totally ruined their team by trading Von for Wagner. No way Wagner impacts that defense like Von does.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
It is. Rams should not have let him go. They lack the inside/outside punch they had last season that they rode to the super bowl.

Maybe Floyd or their 7th round pick Hardy will develop.
They probably balked at price. 50 million guaranteed is alot for a 33 year pass rusher. It makes sense for a team Buffalo to pull the trigger. They are so close and a player like Miller could push them over the top. We aren't close enough and LA already got their SB

Adreme

Reaction score

Um which part. The only team with more cap space than the Cowboys is the Browns. Every other NFC contender got weaker. The Cowboys had the cap space to not get weaker and try to go for it but did not. Every aspect of what I said is true.

Sydla

Reaction score
So 31 teams' management "missed the boat" then

All 31 teams didn't have a need for an edge rusher. We did after Gregory bolted.

Again, that whole situation shows how bad Jerry and Stephen are at this stuff. Gregory was such a vital DE for us that we were willing to give him $70 million, for frankly what had been decent production up until now. They clearly wanted him back to fill that other DE spot opposite Lawrence. So they viewed a need and tried to not create a hole by paying Gregory (and based on the contract they were willing to hand him they thought he was a upper level DE) a large chunk of change.

If DE wasn't that big of a need then why even offer Gregory that money? By offering him that much money you made it clear that 1) you realized you would have a big hole at DE 2) that you thought you needed a high end DE to fill taht hole.

But Gregory bolts and suddenly, I guess, we had no need for a high level DE anymore.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
The management lives on hope every year. They just don't want to go all in. They're content with winning the division every other year and losing wild card games.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
If he would have taken Gregory’s contract then they would have signed him. He said no and Buffalo gave him a ridiculous long term deal for someone of his age. It isn’t hard to understand what Dallas is doing. They are concentrating on drafting well and developing those players. When they identify young guys they want to keep on a second contract, they start planning ahead for those years to make sure a new contract will fit. They are currently in the mode of planning for Dak’s, Lamb’s, Parson’s, and Digg’s next contracts. Part of being able to afford to resign those players and still have a competitive team is carrying over cap space each year. You may look and see that they have $20 million in cap space right now but what you don’t seem to understand is that they have a significant portion of that earmarked to carry over and have available in future years when they have to give out what will surely be market setting deals at already expensive positions. So take your pick, players like Von Miller now and watch him decline as Parsons, Diggs, or Lamb head out the door? I want to win now as much as anyone but I see what they’re doing and since I can’t do anything about it, I’ll just watch the games and be entertained.

Creeper

Reaction score
Last year’s Cowboys went 12-5. The Bills went 11-6.

To say that the team with the lesser record is a Super Bowl contender while the other isn’t is a terrible attempted argument.

The AFC is a much tougher conference than the NFC. Half of Dallas's wins came against the NFC East. The Cowboys were 1 and done in the playoffs. The Bills beat a tough Pittsburgh team then went into OT against the Chiefs. I'd say based on the playoff performances, the Bills were closer to a SB then than Dallas who looked overmatched by the Wild Card 49ers.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
According to Christianity, the 10th commandment states thou shall not covet your neighbor's things. I believe you'll live a much happier life if you live by this. So much of today's society places a priority on keeping up with the Joneses; acquiring material possessions just to keep up with what your neighbor has. That is the wrong perspective to have, in my opinion. You can be happy for your neighbor having a certain something but don't wish you had your neighbor's possession. I'll make my point... The Buffalo Bills have Von Miller. It's okay to be happy for the Bills having that player but it's wrong to wish you had their player. As a practicing Christan, I can not say I wish we had that player. He is another team's property. However, I can be happy for Buffalo for having him. I acknowledge his talent and think he will be a great contributor to that team, as we saw last night.

I understand my perspective on this is unique and most of you heathens don't think this way. I don't want to debate it. You think the way you want to and let me believe what I want. I just wanted to share my perspective because I know it is not common ground with most of you.

DFWJC

Reaction score
All 31 teams didn't have a need for an edge rusher. We did after Gregory bolted.

Again, that whole situation shows how bad Jerry and Stephen are at this stuff. Gregory was such a vital DE for us that we were willing to give him $70 million, for frankly what had been decent production up until now. They clearly wanted him back to fill that other DE spot opposite Lawrence. So they viewed a need and tried to not create a hole by paying Gregory (and based on the contract they were willing to hand him they thought he was a upper level DE) a large chunk of change.

If DE wasn't that big of a need then why even offer Gregory that money? By offering him that much money you made it clear that 1) you realized you would have a big hole at DE 2) that you thought you needed a high end DE to fill taht hole.

But Gregory bolts and suddenly, I guess, we had no need for a high level DE anymore.
6 years for 120 million

Do you really think with all of our big contracts (and a bunch coming up soon) that we could pull that off?

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
According to Christianity, the 10th commandment states thou shall not covet your neighbor's things. I believe you'll live a much happier life if you live by this. So much of today's society places a priority on keeping up with the Joneses; acquiring material possessions just to keep up with what your neighbor has. That is the wrong perspective to have, in my opinion. You can be happy for your neighbor having a certain something but don't wish you had your neighbor's possession. I'll make my point... The Buffalo Bills have Von Miller. It's okay to be happy for the Bills having that player but it's wrong to wish you had their player. As a practicing Christan, I can not say I wish we had that player. He is another team's property. However, I can be happy for Buffalo for having him. I acknowledge his talent and think he will be a great contributor to that team, as we saw last night.

I understand my perspective on this is unique and most of you heathens don't think this way. I don't want to debate it. You think the way you want to and let me believe what I want. I just wanted to share my perspective because I know it is not common ground with most of you.

What a load of crap. Heathens? This post should be deleted and you should be made to stand in the corner.

Mr_437

Reaction score
It you till last night the figure they been messing up? Well, welcome to the party better late than never.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Miller looked great last night, we'll see if that pace keeps up but he would be a force in this defense.

On the opposite end, lot of people have been jealous of the Rams offseason adding Wagner, Robinson, etc. and some of their aggressive moves they've made last couple of years. It's one game, but man what a dissapointing start.

Sydla

Reaction score
6 years for 120 million

Do you really think with all of our big contracts (and a bunch coming up soon) that we could pull that off?

The larger point being made here isn't about not signing Miller. It's that the strategy at DE was downright peculiar.

PS - When you look at the Miller contract, it's really just a 3 year deal. After those first three years, the Bills can pull the parachute and get out of of his deal with minimal pain. For all intents and purposes, the deal is a 3 year, $52 million contract. Miller has massive base salaries in 2025, 26 and 27 that get you to $120 million for the total contract, but he likely will never ever see those base salaries. For example, in 2027 his base salary is $30 million. There is zero chance the Bills will be paying an edge player close to 40 years old $30 million in base salary.

Last edited: