Marcus spears on w/norm at 10:30 to talk dysfunction

khiladi

Reaction score
Jerry....

Why would he fire Rob Ryan if the players loved him? Here we are saying that players couldn't be benched by coaches because of Jerry, yet Jerry cans the guy the players love. This is utter BS.

You got Spears contradicting himself every second from what I can tell. Reporter leading him on to defend Garrett...

khiladi

Reaction score
If Spears said he believes Rob Ryan was hired by Jerry, that means he's going on presumption. And if he is correct, it makes no sense that Jerry would fire him unless Jason Garrett wanted it. This is especially relevant as soon as the loss to the Commanders, because all eyes were pointing on changes on the side of offense. Jerry especially made it a point to say this teams success lies in maximizing Romo's talent. Nobody, and I mean, nobody expected Rob Ryan to be fired.

The problem with this 'leading' type of interviews to make a certain view be presented by the interviewER is that they lead to absurd contradictions.

khiladi

Reaction score
If Jerry is so interfering and totally at fault, how does this explain three assistant coaches with very experienced track records coming here to work under him?

It's just hilarious how these same clown reporters were saying it was all Garrett's connection to Kiffen at Tampa that brought him here and further, it was Rob Ryan's sleeping in meetings which was anti-thesis to the Garrett culture of stern discipline that caused him to be let go.

You think these same clown reporters just got some new access to information suddenly that they weren't aware of before? These same guys were ranting about how Wade couldn't control the locker room and use to make fun of his "easy ways". Now, when it's their homeboy Garrett's turn, suddenly these revelations about Jerry suddenly are coming out.

Hilarious, especially considering the timing of Garrett finally getting called out for his utterly horrific play calling and on the verge of being shown the door.

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
He basically said what myself and others have already said time and time again...

Tawney88

Reaction score
That is the culture change Parcells talked about. The buck stops with the head coach when you're a player. In Dallas, it stops with the owner.

Then fans blame the head coach for the ramifications of that.

It's why I am so indifferent on Jason Garrett. He may or may not be a good coach. I would need to see him in another NFL city to know.

No coach will succeed here with Jerry having the authority he has. This organization is dysfunctional and Jerry is the problem.

khiladi

Reaction score
We were 13-3 and 10-6 with Wade. We won a play-off game. All the reporters were saying it was a joke and a big mess. The biggest mistake ever was hiring this incompetent OC, and now HC who was a QB coach for two years. Yet, Garrett gets all the excuses... Unbelievable

khiladi

Reaction score
He said Stephen Jones was a football guy, the same guy making personnel decisions with buffoon Jim Garrett and Lacewell, since at least 1997.

khiladi

Reaction score
Fire Garrett and get Romo a play book and a real Offensive coach and let it play out from there. I'm tired of all this nonsense. Jerry isn't calling plays on game-day. Jerry isn't going anywhere and one thing is proven right now, which is Garrett blows.

Tawney88

Reaction score
Fire Garrett and Jerry and get Romo a play book and a real Offensive coach and GM and let it play out from there. I'm tired of all this nonsense. Jerry isn't calling plays on game-day. Jerry isn't going anywhere and one thing is proven right now, which is Jerry blows.

FIFY

khiladi

Reaction score
When Patrick Crayton was essentially saying Jason Garrett was a buffoon and sucked at calling plays, homers were brushing it off.

khiladi

Reaction score

He's blowing majorly by sticking with this buffoon and giving him every excuse in the book. It's ironic that Jerry, in the last year of Garrett's contract and consistent failures to get into the playoffs, blowing the division lead three times in a row, that all eyes have turned to Jerry as an excuse for Jason. Nobody was peeping a word about Jerry prior to the year Garrett was about to be shown the door telling us about "progress" being made and the RKG culture was taking route.

Absolutely hilarious... Even Watkins was recently spewing out the nonsense for Jerry to extend Garrett on this premise.

khiladi

Reaction score
Larry Allen said the best owner in sports was Jerry Jones... Who to believe?

khiladi

Reaction score
I wish for the days for the Cowboys that opposing fans only have Richard Sherman type interviews after a conference championship game to target out of jealousy.... Give me Pete Carroll and his West Coast vibe or Harbaugh like intensity coaching this team... Just get rid of this clown on the sidelines who looks totally lost and clueless on the field, making a mockery of thus storied franchise...

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Let's say that you have 53 subordinates and 1 boss. You tell your subordinates that you are in charge and are responsible for everything they do so you will hold them accountable when they don't perform. Everyone of those 53 people buys in to your message and everyone agrees that you are the head guy and that's it.

Time goes by and performance starts to slip, and you take action to correct that behavior. Along comes your boss and then he tells your subordinate(s) that failed to perform it's okay that you under-performed and on top of that here's a boatload of cash for your substandard performance.

You don't see how that translates to what we see on the field?

I don't think it is that simple.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
I haven't heard that they've lost "sales." But I have heard that the Dallas markets' ratings on Sundays are down for the third year in a row. Usually the local market is the first market to lose interest, and it could be a harbinger of things to come.

That is interesting...
Here I've been believing that the Cowboys were such a sales juggernaut.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
I have a hard time believing these comments are enlightening to anybody. If Jerry's defended around here, it's usually against some bizarre off-the-wall criticism and not on the score that he meddles in the staff. Jerry himself has been very upfront about how the team is run in that regard. It's also the same stuff that's been said by players--including franchise greats like Darren Woodson--for years. Jerry's always been a mixed bag, and the only question is really 'how many of those things in the bag are chocolates, and how many are turds.'

Do you really think so? This is the only place I visit on the Internet where it isn't just accepted that Jerry is a huge issue. Here we get the "Dallas is no different than any other team in the league" and "You're hung up on titles" nonsense. Jerry is absolutely an issue and threads (including this one) are spent arguing whether he is or isn't instead of something more interesting. I'm not sure if people just struggle to understand the obvious or they are so caught up in their make believe "insider" stories that they can't open their eyes to reality.

Someone posted a thread here the other day asking "Who do you want as GM?" basically indicating that people couldn't possibly come up with other options better than Jerry.

http://cowboyszone.com/threads/who-do-you-want-as-gm.280598/

Great thread, but it withered and died. Meanwhile, you can get numerous pages debating whether or not Jerry is even an issue.

Do a Google News search on Jerry sometime. Then do one on successful general managers in the league. It is interesting. It is pretty obvious that he's the biggest roadblock to long term franchise success and very heavily involved in things that successful (winning) owners are not. Hire good people and get out of the way. He could learn a lot from Kraft who was a bit of a meddler in his early days as well.

Anyway, interesting interview from Spears. This basically ratified many of my concerns about Jerry.

Next Years Champ

Reaction score
Jerry: "Future, everything you see with a the Star on it you can best believe that I have my hands in it. That's from playing time decisions, the draft, free agency signings, hiring of coaches and everything else, I am the face of the Cowboys. This organization is built in my image, heck my son Stephen is right below me and my daughter handles the branding".

Future: "I'm sorry Mr. Jones but I'm going to need something a little more concrete than that".

Sheez.

Nepotism is a hard act to follow.

Beats what was going on before the Jones' took over.

khiladi

Reaction score
Nepotism is a hard act to follow.

Beats what was going on before the Jones' took over.

You don't think nepotism has a place here for the Garrett's? You got Jim, the father.... Judd in personnel and Jason the head 'freaking' coach. We even had John here who went from TE coach, doing in reality nothing to passing game coordinator. It was only cause he sucked so bad that he left. But even then, the excuse coming out of Valley Ranch was that he was trying to pursue HC opportunities.

Rob Ryan and Peete though didn't get the same favors though. They were just fired.

Tawney88

Reaction score
He's blowing majorly by sticking with this buffoon and giving him every excuse in the book. It's ironic that Jerry, in the last year of Garrett's contract and consistent failures to get into the playoffs, blowing the division lead three times in a row, that all eyes have turned to Jerry as an excuse for Jason. Nobody was peeping a word about Jerry prior to the year Garrett was about to be shown the door telling us about "progress" being made and the RKG culture was taking route.

Absolutely hilarious... Even Watkins was recently spewing out the nonsense for Jerry to extend Garrett on this premise.
Jerry has been blowing for nearly two decades. Some here may not have been complaining until recently but I've wanted him gone since Campo. The guy is a tool and completely ruined this franchise. It's a joke. You like to rail on Garrett, which is fine, but Jerry hired him and Philips, Campo, Switzer and Gailey. He hasn't allowed those men to hire their own staff and went as far as hiring an Garrett as OC before hiring Phillips. The coaches are a symptom of this teams real problem. Jerry Jones, you can't defend him or his ineptness.