Marinelli's Legacy of Misevaluation

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CalPolyTechnique, Feb 13, 2021.

1. TwistedL0g1k

TwistedL0g1k Well-Known Member

741 Messages
    1,081 Likes Received
    No. You should re-read.
    I made a general statement of fact, one I think anyone would agree with.
    In no way was this a personal insult.
    You were quick to take offense here, and reacted poorly.

2. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

15,596 Messages
    12,176 Likes Received
    .Maybe.

Unless there is a trade back we want.

Cold here in San Antonio....brrr

3. Kingofholland

Kingofholland Well-Known Member

1,917 Messages
    1,762 Likes Received
    Marinelli seems to fall in love with a certain personality and measurables overlooking true talent or production. I used to do the same in Madden knowing if the guy had speed and size I could probably turn him into a 90+ in a few seasons, lol.

We all know Marinelli had his flaws and was extremly stubborn. But one thing is for sure if a the player has any motor Marinelli will get the most of the dlinemen. Taco had a bad motor, and Hill just didn't take much seriously the first year.

4. kskboys

kskboys Well-Known Member

25,691 Messages
    27,958 Likes Received
    You declared that I used hindsight. I did not. It's not more complicated than that. That is the fact. Quit waffling and just admit you misinterpreted. Happens.

If your general statement of fact wasn't directed at me, you shouldn't have quoted my post.

5. chicago JK

chicago JK Well-Known Member

2,480 Messages
    997 Likes Received
    I think we saw last year that Marinelli's scheme is or was not the main issue. It has always been a talent issue. He had an average to below average defense here but that wasn't because of scheme. Maybe he was older and lost that fast ball, but as we saw with Nolan this year, Marinelli was much better.

The whole blaming Marinelli for the draft busts is flawed. An older defensive coordinator who was here for the short term should no way be given the ability to have final say. It is your talent collectors job to understand what your coordinators want/need and then find players to fill those needs/roles. Unfortunately we have Jerry and Stephen. We would have better luck blindly picking names out of a hat.

6. Beaker42

Beaker42 Well-Known Member

5,584 Messages
    4,596 Likes Received
    I’m convinced Marinelli was a Goodell mole whose job was to destroy us. Worked pretty well.

Hennessy_King likes this.
  7. kskboys

25,691 Messages
    27,958 Likes Received
    No matter what, it all comes down to the GM. GM is responsible for hiring the DC.

8. Plankton

Plankton Well-Known Member

9,886 Messages
    13,035 Likes Received
    In most places, the head coach is responsible for hiring the defensive coordinator. Or, any member of the coaching staff that they run.

In Dallas, that sort of talk is blasphemy.

9. stilltheguru

stilltheguru Well-Known Member

8,015 Messages
    5,021 Likes Received
    Now reggie robinson is a safety lol.

10. Whyjerry

Whyjerry Well-Known Member

9,422 Messages
    15,213 Likes Received
    People seem to forget Rod coached the worst team in history. Guy is massively overrated. So he won a SB with Sapp, Rice, Brooks and Barber. All time talents at every level. I could have done that. Marinelli sucks.

11. Haimerej

Haimerej Well-Known Member

2,745 Messages
    3,518 Likes Received
    People also forget he had an awesome defense in CHI before coming to DAL. It seems they've already forgotten DAL had a top 10 defense from 2016-2019, too.

12. kskboys

25,691 Messages
    27,958 Likes Received
    Because he doesn't have the physical ability to be a CB. He was never going to be an NFL starting CB.

S is iffy.

13. stilltheguru

8,015 Messages
    5,021 Likes Received
    What ability does he not have physically? Especially for a cover 3 scheme. Is richard sherman a better athlete than Robinson? Or brandon browner? Real question

14. kskboys

25,691 Messages
    27,958 Likes Received
    Yes. Lateral agility and burst. The ability to mirror a WR comes from mostly that. Sherman has it coming out of his eyes ears and nose. Robinson does not.

The one thing RR has is speed. So, they're trying to make him a S, as S's do not have to cut and mirror as much. He could be the next Jeff Heath.

Back when Browner was good, the Seachickens had one of the best DLines in the game. That means your CB's simply dont' have to cover as long. I would imagine Browner benefitted from that. Don't recall as he's been anything special since.

15. stilltheguru

8,015 Messages
    5,021 Likes Received
    Are you basing his burst and lateral agility from your eye test or combine numbers?

16. Whyjerry

9,422 Messages
    15,213 Likes Received
    So many playoff wins. Such memories. The great,great Marinelli era. 1 playoff win in 3 years as Chicago DC. Awesome?

17. Haimerej

Haimerej Well-Known Member

2,745 Messages
    3,518 Likes Received
    Just hinting that the problem could be elsewhere. There's a reason people had high expectations for the team coming into the season.

18. Whyjerry

9,422 Messages
    15,213 Likes Received
    Marinelli was one of many problems.

mardwin likes this.
  19. mardwin

mardwin Well-Known Member

3,499 Messages
    5,101 Likes Received
    They let a guy that went 0-16 with the lions make personnel decisions and now everyone wonders why those decisions did not pan out.

stasheroo and chagus like this.
  20. chagus

chagus Well-Known Member

2,022 Messages
    1,984 Likes Received
    That is A GREAT POINT!