Marion Barber didnt follow dress code

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tupperware;3694618 said:
I just don't know that the benefit of playing Barber for a single series is going to benefit us enough as would sending a clear message from JG that he will not tolerate it.

One series is not going to make or break our team in this game, at least not as far as having MB play or not is concerned.
The message would be primarily for Barber's benefit if Garrett considers him an asset to the offense for the duration of this season. I know that fans have their individual opinions of Barber, but that's irrelevant. It's all about what this newly installed head coach thinks of Barber's overall worth as a running back in his offense.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
DallasEast;3694622 said:
The message would be primarily for Barber's benefit if Garrett considers him an asset to the offense for the duration of this season. I know that fans have their individual opinions of Barber, but that's irrelevant. It's all about what this newly installed head coach thinks about Barber's overall worth as a running back in his offense.

This kind of behaviors will undermine Jason Garret authority as a coach.To tell you the truth I am really very disappointed that he is even flying with the team.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Fonz;3694626 said:
This kind of behaviors will undermine Jason Garret authority as a coach.To tell you the truth I am really very disappointed that he is even flying with the team.
It may undermine his authority. Nothing has been determined conclusively at this time.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
It's a dumb rule, but it is a rule. And if you break the rules, there is/and should be a price to pay. No matter how you feel about rules, you must follow them. Personally, I wish we could go off on people around here but we can't, so I follow the rule. ;)

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
DallasEast;3694622 said:
The message would be primarily for Barber's benefit if Garrett considers him an asset to the offense for the duration of this season. I know that fans have their individual opinions of Barber, but that's irrelevant. It's all about what this newly installed head coach thinks of Barber's overall worth as a running back in his offense.
Barber is not going to give a flip. If he is played for a series and benched he's not going to feel any different towards JG and will continue to disobey. If JG never makes it clear why Barber was taken out after a series then of course the message is never sent that he's in charge.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tupperware;3694631 said:
Barber is not going to give a flip. If he is played for a series and benched he's not going to feel any different towards JG and will continue to disobey. If JG never makes it clear why Barber was taken out after a series then of course the message is never sent that he's in charge.
Any other hard facts to share?

For anyone believing that Barber will never give a flip, they should support cutting him right now and never change that personal opinion.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
Sarge;3694529 said:
I happen to think this is a big deal. That is a complete slap in Garretts face. How Garrett handles this is an even bigger issue.

It won't matter in the win/loss column if he plays or not becasue he stinks, but it matters immensely moving forward as far as how seriously this is handled.

It was a punk move and something Wade would have probably shunned. I am personally wanting to move on to better things than this nonsense.

Not only is this a punk move, it's punk move by a team captain. It's a challenge to JG's authority. Garrett needs to send a message and send it loud and clear. I'd be disappointed if he was active for todays game.

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
DallasEast;3694635 said:
Any other hard facts to share?

For anyone believing that Barber will never give a flip, they should support cutting him right now and never change that personal opinion.
I'm saying he is not going to give a flip that Garrett is nice enough to allow him one series of play.

I really have no idea what the point would be in playing the guy one series. He should either be a part of the game plan or not, no need to confuse matters.

If he plays, then he needs to be harshly reprimanded in some other way. (But how?)

If he doesn't play, again the message is sent that you as a player have to follow the rules.

By playing him at all you just confuse matters. Playing him a series and benching him will do nothing. If you do it without telling the team or Barber that he is benched and try to make it appear as a game plan thing, then the message of accountability is lost. If you play him a series and then bench him and let him know he's benched, the one series isn't going to give Barber a change of heart. How can you not see this?

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Hostile;3694431 said:
I'd sit him for at least the 1st quarter if I were Garrett.

The whole game would send a real message with two backs in Felix and choice able to take his role. In fact what would have been great is if they left him at the airport as an inactive

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tupperware;3694644 said:
I'm saying he is not going to give a flip that Garrett is nice enough to allow him one series of play.

I really have no idea what the point would be in playing the guy one series. He should either be a part of the game plan or not, no need to confuse matters.

If he plays, then he needs to be harshly reprimanded in some other way. (But how?)

If he doesn't play, again the message is sent that you as a player have to follow the rules.

By playing him at all you just confuse matters. Playing him a series and benching him will do nothing. If you do it without telling the team or Barber that he is benched and try to make it appear as a game plan thing, then the message of accountability is lost. If you play him a series and then bench him and let him know he's benched, the one series isn't going to give Barber a change of heart. How can you not see this?
I do not know for certain if Barber is a total loss cause.

If Garrett plays him a series, benches him for the rest of the game, does not see any indication from Barber that "he gets it" during the following week and decides to go with only Felix Jones and Tashard Choice for the rest of the season, how can you not see this?

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
DallasEast;3694589 said:
Dallas has Felix Jones and Tashard Choice. Do you really see that much of a drop off if Barber is "tearing it up and scoring" afterwards?

Then why even start Barber? It makes absoutely no sense, unless Garrett barks more than he bites.

jamesdojr

Reaction score
Not let him play? You mean he's been playing this year? Wow I don't watch close enough.

Gibby!;3694426 said:
Make him suit up, and sit him, at least for the first half. Let Choice have his carries. It shouldn't be hard for Choice to get 3 ypc...

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
tupperware;3694425 said:
Agreed all the way.

We're seeing what purposes this dress code serves other than to make the team look professional.

We're finding out who isn't willing to go all in and take direction from the HC.

This!

Omg.... your sig is priceless.

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
DallasEast;3694656 said:
I do not know for certain if Barber is a total loss cause.

If Garrett plays him a series, benches him for the rest of the game, does not see any indication from Barber that "he gets it" during the following week and decides to go with only Felix Jones and Tashard Choice for the rest of the season, how can you not see this?
Because I'm thinking of the message that is spread to those beyond just MB. I think not playing him at all shows zero tolerance, whereas playing him, regardless of a subsequent benching, isn't as clear.

And I really don't see advantages for playing him. He should have put on his suit like the rules state. I think at this point I'm going to have to agree to disagree with your stance.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
5Stars;3694657 said:
Then why even start Barber? It makes absoutely no sense, unless Garrett barks more than he bites.
Any good head coach is going to weigh the positives and negatives of how long to bench a player which he already knows the other team's coaching staff has gameplanned for. There are more things to consider here than being upset with what Barber has done to counter Garrett's dress code. That's a reality of today's NFL.

tupperware

A Plastic Container
Reaction score
jimmy40;3694664 said:
I wonder how we'll stop the Giants pass rush.
It will be a lil tougher out there with Felix and Choice on blitz pickups, but the issue here is a team policy was broken.

You can't just let one or two players ignore the rules because their role is a little more important to the team than another player.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
tupperware;3694660 said:
Because I'm thinking of the message that is spread to those beyond just MB. I think not playing him at all shows zero tolerance, whereas playing him, regardless of a subsequent benching, isn't as clear.

And I really don't see advantages for playing him. He should have put on his suit like the rules state. I think at this point I'm going to have to agree to disagree with your stance.
I agree with your disagreement. I'm going to take a wait-and-see approach with Jason Garrett to see just how effective a head coach he can be--regardless of how much his personal individual head coaching decisions are appreciated by fans.