Martin contract getting closer but not official until contract details are released

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looking at the history of the NFL and great Defenses going up against great Offenses. The great defenses almost always control the great offenses. Sometimes just a very good Defense will control an all time great O. Look what the Giants D did to Tom Brady and Randy Mosses record setting O in the Super Bowl a few years ago. We don’t value Defense enough, it’s just not smart football. Look at our salary cap allotment. Heavily weighted to the O, and that is with Dak on his rookie contract!

Its been 23 years of no SB glory and Jerry and his YES MEN are insisting on spending all our Cap on the Dallas Wall with 4 no 1 picks and a new 2nd rounder. Idiotic management that can only be found in Big D ......
And most of these fellow fans of ours agree NP....guess most of these guys haven't tasted SB glory in there lifetime and are ok dreaming on the Draft to give them a defense to be proud of.....As long as we have the Dream of the Dallas Wall who needs a defense....Jerry keep fooling them they love it man as it seems they simply love LOSING!!!!!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That will tell it all right there!! I for one, would rather spend big on a dominate D line, than a dominate O line. Look what Denver did to our O line last year. I hope that never happens again.

We're in big trouble if it does. That game was inexplicable. And thankfully an anomaly that didn't happen again last season. I hope we never see the likes of that again. Otherwise, we've failed on our investments and we're never going to win a championship.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Wait so let me get this straight when Leary was here Collis was not good enough to be a guard, now that connor is here he is not good enough to be a Tackle?
When Leary was here,honesly LEARY was better than the then rookie Collins. So your right..Leary was better. Collins has since proven he's a stud at guard. MAYBE he will be a great RT..Im no expert,but he just seems better at guard.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Interesting that it is 6 years. I always believed the holdup was that would want to be 30 or 31 when the deal expired so that another giant payday would be possible.

cern

Reaction score
That's how signing bonuses work in the NFL. It's not some secret Stephen Jones strategy.
Not really. Some agents hold out for large guaranteed money paid quickly. It's not the way the dez contract was structured. There is no hard and fast rule for resigning. The base salary is easy to determine. It's working out the details of the structure that are the difficult issues. Chalk another up for Stephen.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
jess-haynie_dallas-cowboys_cowboys-zack-martin-seeing-market-value-in-other-guard-contracts.jpg
He looks like a super giant hobbit.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Yes! We need to continue spending huge amounts of cap space on the OL in order to prove to the rest of the league that way works. They can take their "elite defenses" and shove it.

Where else should they spend it? They resign the all pro draft picks. I like it myself. Nevermind that Martin at OG is likely to play at a high level through all 6 of those years.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Not really. Some agents hold out for large guaranteed money paid quickly. It's not the way the dez contract was structured. There is no hard and fast rule for resigning. The base salary is easy to determine. It's working out the details of the structure that are the difficult issues. Chalk another up for Stephen.
Dez had a 20m signing bonus and only a 7m first year cap hit

INCowboysFan

Reaction score
Its been 23 years of no SB glory and Jerry and his YES MEN are insisting on spending all our Cap on the Dallas Wall with 4 no 1 picks and a new 2nd rounder. Idiotic management that can only be found in Big D ......
And most of these fellow fans of ours agree NP....guess most of these guys haven't tasted SB glory in there lifetime and are ok dreaming on the Draft to give them a defense to be proud of.....As long as we have the Dream of the Dallas Wall who needs a defense....Jerry keep fooling them they love it man as it seems they simply love LOSING!!!!!
3 first round picks and a second. I know, Collins was projected to maybe be a first, but the fact is he wasn't. he was a UDFA. Period.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
NO. I BEEN saying this from day 1. IMO..Collins is a guard more than a tackle. His best position is guard. Connor Williams at RT would be a big upgrade and give us basically a better version of Doug Free. We have yet to replace him.

Same here. I thought that Collins could be a decent tackle last year, and he was decent. But, we now have the opportunity to put him back to Guard where he's best and let Williams play RT where he'd excel. I'm all for it.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
4 out of 5 getting flat out paid. Zeke better go for 2,000.

TFred and Smith's $10m AAV for all pro level play is a deal. TFred actually makes a bit less. LC doesn't make nearly as much as those two.

Dak is guaranteed good protection for the foreseeable future and Zeke will have running lanes.

Sydla

Reaction score
Another way to look at this if you are scared about locking that much money up in an OG.

With Smith, Frederick and Martin, you can pretty much go cheaper now at RT (in the future if Collins never progresses beyond what he is) and LG. I'd rather have three studs on an OL than 5 average guys for the same cost.

cern

Reaction score
Dez had a 20m signing bonus and only a 7m first year cap hit
True. And he was to count 16.8 million his last two years. Jerry's last contract negotiation. Stephen will do better in this regard than Jerry. Seems a good deal for both parties.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Really? So how did we go into Seattle and become the first team in 3 years to win there? How did we absolutely destroy Green Bay at Lambeau( best run d at the time), and Pittsburgh at Heinz (best run d at the time)? How did we beat Baltimore (best run d at the time) and TB (best run d at the time) in 2016? If it wasnt Dak, and it wasnt the OL. Who was it? And I am the joker? You came here from another site, and within a week everyone here knew who you were and what you were. You are a troll of epic levels. And no one here respects your opinion because all you do every time is bash on Dak. So stop. Please, you are embarrassing yourself.

I actually dealt with him on the other forum, and he did that there too about Dak. As far as 2016 went (and I think some that were on there can back me up for this), I made it clear that I'd support whoever was going to be the starting QB between Dak and Romo. I liked and still like both QBs. I frankly didn't mind either way. So, I'm basically neutral in terms of the Romo vs. Dak thing, so let's get that out the way. The point of what I'm saying is that I like Dak. I think he's got excellent potential. You don't throw as few interceptions as he did in his rookie year by being a bad QB. Sure, we had Zeke playing out of his mind, but Dak played well too. I know that everyone rips on Dak for Atlanta (which is a game that I'm tired of hearing about, just like I tired quickly of hearing about some of Romo's not-so-great performances), but I don't think that is terribly telling about what kind of QB he is. Every QB has a bad game once in a while, ESPECIALLY when they're young. I think the problem there was that the coaches didn't react well enough to fix the problems that a kid playing Madden could've fixed.

There is plenty of blame to go around for that game, but did we really expect our coaches to succeed without Zeke? Remember, Garrett SUCKED without Romo in 2015. I think the BLAME goes to Garrett. We KNEW going into last year that we were likely to be without Zeke for a time period, and you CAN'T run the same offense that you ran with Zeke. Garrett had a choice to do one of two things. A. Draft another RB that could fill in for Zeke adequately or B. change the offense so that Dak can succeed without Zeke. Instead, similar to 2015, Garrett chose C. Not do anything and see what happens. So, I think the blame goes to the coaches for last season just as it did in 2015, and, at least Romo's injury in 2015 was less expected (though, I'm still bothered that Garrett forced Romo back in there against Carolina when he was getting battered like a rag doll).