Twitter: Martin Contract Numbers

Aven8

Reaction score
That's over 87 times what Roger Staubach got paid.

Do you really think Martin is going to be 87 times more valuable to the Cowboys than Roger was???

The new NFL I guess. No excuses now. Zeke doesn't go for 1,500 and if Dak gets more than 15 sacks someone needs to be held accountable besides the WR and Oline coach!

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Let the best player on our team walk???

Oh come now, dear boy. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Firstly, we do have the fifth year option available to us, and then, if we're having some difficulty resigning our favourite RB, I reckon we could franchise tag him. Though, I don't see that as something that will be terribly necessary. I have full confidence that the big brass will manage to sort it out when the time comes. One thing I've come to learn, if Stephen wants to resign a player, that chap will be sticking around.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
So you would rather pay a guy who has had 1 record breaking season in a contract year with a history of back issues, or a soon to be 30 year old safety over a guy that hasnt missed a game and is the best at his position? Makes sense. I am happy you are not in control of this team. We have some great convos but on this one we disagree lol. Which is fine. Thats the point of the forum right?
1. The team already said they plan on getting a deal done with D-Law. Its going to happen
2. ET is only one year older than Martin lol

Let me ask you this, out of the three positions (DE, S, OG), which is the easiest to find?

Its like our fans continually forget how we keep losing season after season.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
About as expected. I'd only count the extension AAV, as we already had the rights to this year cheaper.

I'll be interested in seeing how much money is pushed to the last couple of seasons. They may not be real years.
The 7/93.4m @13.3m is relevant because that puts him as the top OG..... they did that intentionally

The 40m gtd puts him as top OL

phildadon86

Reaction score
1. The team already said they plan on getting a deal done with D-Law. Its going to happen

Let me ask you this, out of the three positions (DE, S, OG), which is the easiest to find?

We have addressed defence big time via the draft. It’s like our fans just find stuff to complain about. We are sitting arguing about how you’re upset we paid the best guard in the league lol

Verdict

Reaction score
I could understand someone thinking the Martin contract is too rich for a guard. What I can't buy into is the idiotic mantra that we " we haven't put enough resources in the defense".

He have invested heavily in the defense in terms of draft capital. If the defense sucks it will not be because we failed to draft defensive players.

Martin probably got paid a reasonable contract for his level of play. Whether that was "too large" of a percentage of our cap remains to be seen. I could seee that going either way.

I could see it being a top 10 level guard contract in 5 years. I could also see him getting hurt in training camp for the first time and losing him for the year and him never being the same. That's the risk you take.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I could understand someone thinking the Martin contract is too rich for a guard. What I can't buy into is the idiotic mantra that we " we haven't put enough resources in the defense".

He have invested heavily in the defense in terms of draft capital. If the defense sucks it will not be because we failed to draft defensive players.

Martin probably got paid a reasonable contract for his level of play. Whether that was "too large" of a percentage of our cap remains to be seen. I could seee that going either way.

I could see it being a top 10 level guard contract in 5 years. I could also see him getting hurt in training camp for the first time and losing him for the year and him never being the same. That's the risk you take.
According to some here we haven’t invested in defence at all and have no chance at beating anyone because we paid Martin. Don’t even need to have the season. Just fold up shop

CPanther95

Reaction score

They have rookie contracts on the QB, RB and DE, no WRs of note and Sean Lee. Where the hell else are they going to spend their money?

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
To anyone that is complaining about his numbers, I can all but guarantee you that he would get that and then some on the open market.

Andrew Norwell did it two years tops. Martin is a rarity in NFL history in terms of his achievements in his first four years.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
According to some here we haven’t invested in defence at all and have no chance at beating anyone because we paid Martin. Don’t even need to have the season. Just fold up shop
That argument is more check your brain out at the door.

It is just ignoring this franchise's total inability to scout defensive talent, college or pro, for a very long time.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
We have addressed defence big time via the draft. It’s like our fans just find stuff to complain about. We are sitting arguing about how you’re upset we paid the best guard in the league lol
Good job not answering the question :clap:

phildadon86

Reaction score
That argument is more check your brain out at the door.

It is just ignoring this franchise's total inability to scout defensive talent, college or pro, for a very long time.
We have one of the youngest up and coming secondaries in the league and revamped our LB corps in the last 3 years. Have a decent DL too. I don’t know what else you really want them to do

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
I did answer the wuestion. We have invested heavily on defence the last 4 years. Via the draft.
No you didnt