McCarthy confirms Trey Lance to get bulk of work in preseason

rambo2

Reaction score
Regardless how he plays. How does it give the team more options?

Let's say he has the best performance any one has ever had in preseason.

1. He is still a free agent next year.
2. No one will trade for him at the end of preseason. Too late in the year.

The only option is he could potentially compete for a starting job if/when Dak leaves next year. Which requires him being resigned, with no other QB on the roster and most likely a late 1st round draft pick. So who will have the leverage? GM Jethro or Trance and his agent.

Our GM is an idiot!!!

What team has all 3 QB's expiring at the same time?

That is really the only potential option.
They can sign him to an extension.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score

The only option is he could potentially compete for a starting job if/when Dak leaves next year. Which requires him being resigned, with no other QB on the roster and most likely a late 1st round draft pick. So who will have the leverage? GM Jethro or Trance and his agent.

Our GM is an idiot!!!

I agree, our GM is an idiot, he should have slapped the transition tag on slak four years ago when Jerry might have gotten two 1st rounders for slak, then we wouldn't be in this position.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Dak wasn't going to play much in the preseason. Rush doesn't really need much work, either. He is what he is at this point in his career. They just need a few warm-up snaps. Lance needs lots of snaps.
Dude’s been complaining for months about how “Trance” hasn’t played enough in the past. Now he’s whining about that going to happen this preseason, while worrying about how that might hurt the feelings of Rush and Dak.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Dude’s been complaining for months about how “Trance” hasn’t played enough in the past. Now he’s whining about that going to happen this preseason, while worrying about how that might hurt the feelings of Rush and Dak.
When all 3 of them will be free agents you have to consider how they manage that. I am pretty sure Rush and Dak, both feel confident in themselves and understand Trance needs the work, however is does not mean they have to like it or agree with it.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
When all 3 of them will be free agents you have to consider how they manage that. I am pretty sure Rush and Dak, both feel confident in themselves and understand Trance needs the work, however is does not mean they have to like it or agree with it.
I don't think either is worried about his job. They understand what the preseason is for, the development of younger players. The veterans get their work in camp.

GMO415

Reaction score

200w.gif

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
They know what Rush can do so it makes sense to let Lance play the majority of preseason. Might be the only games will ever see of him with the Cowboys.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

Wait until the real deal starts and he's thrown into the mix, he'll run a few plays and then get blown up on passing downs............LOL! This dude has thrown less than 500 passes in his WHOLE career as a QB in HS, college and NFL combine and the brain trust thinks he's the next QB if Prescot moves on, C'mon man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!

jujoboys

Reaction score

Our GM is an idiot!!!

lol. Great points. I am just hoping something accidentally comes out good from that trade.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Wait until the real deal starts and he's thrown into the mix, he'll run a few plays and then get blown up on passing downs............LOL! This dude has thrown less than 500 passes in his WHOLE career as a QB in HS, college and NFL combine and the brain trust thinks he's the next QB if Prescot moves on, C'mon man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!
You have to ask yourself why you need to announce a final judgment on Trey Lance. Why not give the kid a chance to prove himself? Being supportive of him being successful doesn't mean selling out Dak. Why can't both QBs be successful? Wouldn't that be a good problem to have?

Chasing6

Reaction score
The article was talking about pre-season snaps. Not camp.
So you think he will play all preseason without taking significant snaps at camp? What would the point of that be? That would be setting him up for failure.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Once people get a good look. They're gonna have a hard time going back to duck. I mean dak.
If I'm Dak and agent I'm gauging interest elsewhere.

RoboQB

Reaction score
Dak's agent is probably gonna be asking him to
name some (more) teams he'd waive that NTC for
soon.

'Lance2024'...lol

Chasing6

Reaction score
Once people get a good look. They're gonna have a hard time going back to duck. I mean dak.
If I'm Dak and agent I'm gauging interest elsewhere.
After taking a look at Trance, he will be added as the 7th RB.

Chasing6

Reaction score
What's the real reason

1. See what they have in him as a backup
2. Showcase him off to other teams
3. Use this as a tool to not sign Dak?
4. See if he's the new starter whenever
None of the above.