McCarthy confirms Trey Lance to get bulk of work in preseason

Reid1boys

Reaction score
But of course some succeed and others fail. That isn't what I was objecting to.

The coaches certainly MUST see SOMETHING..that WE don't get to see. Or even have the knowledge to, maybe.

I know I know...but san fran ditched him so he SUCKS!

They are also the same ones that used THREE 1st round picks for him so not sure they are the almighty gurus some say, especially if he is as bad as you say.

I Say there's other reasons SF moved on.

But hey...you are the expert here. So carry on!
He sucks because he looked like garbage when he did play. Im from norcal, I watched his last preseason game. He was pathetic.

Chasing6

Reaction score
But of course some succeed and others fail. That isn't what I was objecting to.

The coaches certainly MUST see SOMETHING..that WE don't get to see. Or even have the knowledge to, maybe.

I know I know...but san fran ditched him so he SUCKS!

They are also the same ones that used THREE 1st round picks for him so not sure they are the almighty gurus some say, especially if he is as bad as you say.

I Say there's other reasons SF moved on.

But hey...you are the expert here. So carry on!
Why would the coaches need to see something?

GM Jethro made this decision proudly on his own. GM Jethro is going to make sure he gets every opportunity regardless of what the coaches think.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I agree, but half of our fans think he is magically going to become a starter. It is not going to happen.

Therefore it was a wasted trade. We already have a good back up QB. If Rush gets cut he will get picked up fairly quickly.
You seem to have decided to take the contrary stance to those who think he "is magically going to become a starter." He may be a wasted trade, but he also could develop and giving him lots of snaps in the preseason is the way to see if he can. He may still become a starter-quality quarterback in this league. It isn't likely, but it looks like Dallas is going to give him the opportunity to show if it might be possible. And there's nothing wrong with that. If he does develop, then they can always recoup the value in a trade if not keep him as a higher-quality backup. Maybe they could even trade Rush to someone in need of a backup.

I could take or leave the trade, but I don't know if can qualify it as wasted or not at this time. We should know more after this preseason, especially if Lance is given those reps he needs to show whether he was worth it.

Reactions: CWR

gimmesix

Reaction score
He sucks because he looked like garbage when he did play. Im from norcal, I watched his last preseason game. He was pathetic.
Between college and pros, I believe he's played in 27 regular-season games. He may ultimately not develop, but no one can say that he has had much opportunity to do it yet. It's hard for me to understand why San Fran ever used a first-round pick on him. Seems like a fourth is about right when balancing his skills with his experience.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You seem to have decided to take the contrary stance to those who think he "is magically going to become a starter." He may be a wasted trade, but he also could develop and giving him lots of snaps in the preseason is the way to see if he can. He may still become a starter-quality quarterback in this league. It isn't likely, but it looks like Dallas is going to give him the opportunity to show if it might be possible. And there's nothing wrong with that. If he does develop, then they can always recoup the value in a trade if not keep him as a higher-quality backup. Maybe they could even trade Rush to someone in need of a backup.

I could take or leave the trade, but I don't know if can qualify it as wasted or not at this time. We should know more after this preseason, especially if Lance is given those reps he needs to show whether he was worth it.
He needs like 5 years of reps. Kid did not play in HS and barely played in college.

But hey, he could be the one exception right?

gimmesix

Reaction score
He needs like 5 years of reps. Kid did not play in HS and barely played in college.

But hey, he could be the one exception right?
He does. I'm not expecting him to be the exception, but you never know. Geno Smith spent six years as a mediocre quarterback. He probably should have been treated about like Lance, but he got the typical first-round treatment and every chance to prove himself. He wasn't completing even 60 percent of his passes and had 36 interceptions to 29 TD passes. Not saying he's become great since going to Seattle but his completion percentage has been in the mid- to upper 60s and he has 55 TD passes to 21 interceptions. I don't think anyone was expecting that.

You seem to want to completely dismiss Lance (even giving him a derogatory nickname). I'm not sure why, other than because some are talking about him starting over Dak (which is implausible). I just want to see if he can develop, and the best way for that to happen is for him to get a lot of reps. Again, thankfully, our starter and No. 2 are at points in their careers where they don't need a lot of reps.

Last edited:

Chasing6

Reaction score
He does. I'm not expecting him to be the exception, but you never know. Geno Smith spent six years as a mediocre quarterback. He probably should have been treated about like Lance, but he got the typical first-round treatment and every chance to prove himself. He wasn't completing even 60 percent of his passes and had 36 interceptions to 29 TD passes. Not saying he's become great since going to Seattle but his completion percentage has been in the mid- to upper 60s and he has 55 TD passes to 21 interceptions. I don't think anyone was expecting that.

You seem to want to completely dismiss Lance (even giving him a derogatory nickname). I'm not sure why, other than because some are talking about him starting over Dak (which is implausible). I just want to see if he can develop, and the best way for that to happen is for him to get a lot of reps. Again, thankfully, our starter and No. 2 are at points in their careers where they don't need a lot of reps.
So we want a Geno Smith type of player replacing Dak?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I thought preseason didn't matter. Now it does. Did he play with the cuts or 1st team? I mean you aren't giving us ANYTHING...for being such an incredible expert.

Show us the film. Since yer an expert.

I've seen really good players have bad games (couchdakcough)

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wonder what other teams and organizations give the bulk of the work to their 3rd string QB?

I wonder how this not only makes Dak, but Rush feel?

Why would Dak have any interest in resigning with the Cowboys at this point?

I wonder how this gets our first string offense in rhythm and ready to go for week 1?

Only in Jerry World.
No worries as week 1 is a loss as we can only beat the Giants.

CWR

Reaction score
I've always rooted for Dak, but I'd answer that question with a maybe. It depends on how much we'd save on the cap and if cap boy would open up his wallet to bring in talent.

That's the biggest problem with not paying Dak. We have no way to know if the FO would actually spend those savings on other needs. I'd be furious if we let Dak go and remained uninvolved in FA.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Who said that? I'm just saying that Geno Smith went from bad to decent. Lance might can do that, too. If he stays here, it would likely be in a backup role.

I don't expect him to ever be the starter here or replace Dak. I expect Dak to get an extension before the start of the season. However, we should never stop wanting to improve a position or improve our depth. Anything can happen in this game, and despite the fact that the Cowboys have a 5-1 record with Rush at QB, we can improve the backup spot. I don't know if Lance will be able to do that, but I'm OK with exploring that possibility.

Frankly, I'd like to see us sign the Hohensee kid we had in for a tryout. The more QBs we try to develop, the better. Then, if Lance were to play good enough to replace Rush, Hohensee could move into that developmental spot. He probably would end up going the same way as DiNucci, White, McGee. But you'll never get a hit if you don't take a swing.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I've always rooted for Dak, but I'd answer that question with a maybe. It depends on how much we'd save on the cap and if cap boy would open up his wallet to bring in talent.

That's the biggest problem with not paying Dak. We have no way to know if the FO would actually spend those savings on other needs. I'd be furious if we let Dak go and remained uninvolved in FA.
The Cowboys' free agent strategy isn't based on how much they are paying the QB position. It was in place well before we drafted Dak and while we were paying him on his rookie deal.

rambo2

Reaction score
Who said that? I'm just saying that Geno Smith went from bad to decent. Lance might can do that, too. If he stays here, it would likely be in a backup role.

I don't expect him to ever be the starter here or replace Dak. I expect Dak to get an extension before the start of the season. However, we should never stop wanting to improve a position or improve our depth. Anything can happen in this game, and despite the fact that the Cowboys have a 5-1 record with Rush at QB, we can improve the backup spot. I don't know if Lance will be able to do that, but I'm OK with exploring that possibility.

Frankly, I'd like to see us sign the Hohensee kid we had in for a tryout. The more QBs we try to develop, the better. Then, if Lance were to play good enough to replace Rush, Hohensee could move into that developmental spot. He probably would end up going the same way as DiNucci, White, McGee. But you'll never get a hit if you don't take a swing.
Sign the kid that they brought in for rookie camp? Lol. Now that is ridiculous.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I thought preseason didn't matter. Now it does. Did he play with the cuts or 1st team? I mean you aren't giving us ANYTHING...for being such an incredible expert.

Show us the film. Since yer an expert.

I've seen really good players have bad games (couchdakcough)
uhm... what do you want me to give you? Film? Go look at it wise guy. Im no expert... but Ive been watching NFL since 1977, and yiu can see good and crappy QB play, no maytter who they are playing with. Dak's rookie year, in pre season, unless you are blind, you could step back and say wow... this kid can play.

Ive seen NOTHING from Lance to get excited about. But what does that mean? Until he is given the key =s for 2-3 seasons, none of us know. But I can say that the Niners had seen enough to completely bail on a guy that they had invested a ton in.

TheCritic

Reaction score
uhm... what do you want me to give you? Film? Go look at it wise guy. Im no expert... but Ive been watching NFL since 1977, and yiu can see good and crappy QB play, no maytter who they are playing with. Dak's rookie year, in pre season, unless you are blind, you could step back and say wow... this kid can play.

Ive seen NOTHING from Lance to get excited about. But what does that mean? Until he is given the key =s for 2-3 seasons, none of us know. But I can say that the Niners had seen enough to completely bail on a guy that they had invested a ton in.
False conclusion about the 49ers on your part. Trey couldn't stay healthy and then Brock Purdy happened. They hit on a QB and it no longer made sense for them to invest the time and resources into developing a future starter out of Trey Lance. Too much has been made out of Trey Lance bombing out in SF and having some bad preseason games. If you think about it, not all that dissimilar to what happened to Romo. Romo was definitely the better QB heading into 2016, but stuff happens.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score

Great post