Twitter: McCarthy: "I’ve gone out of my way to not make Kellen feel like I’m trying to step on his toes"

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Thumbs-Up-Gif.gif

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Big Mile doesn’t get to make that decision.

KMoore runs the offense.

Per Jerry Jones.

You don't know that. You think Jerry would have blacked out the scrimmage, shut out reporters. Hell Jerry loves the attention and the camera. For the scrimmage McCarthy stated they don't want to show personnel groupings and formations they are using. Why say that if the offense is staying the same? Moore is entering his 2nd season as OC and frankly in year 1 he did a good job but he is OC not HC, HC will set the tone of how aggressive or conservative of play they will use. OC and DC around the NFL do not work for themselves they are accountable to HC and that is the role of McCarthy.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McC didn't bring him back as Asst OC, his training wheels are off.

If you are not familiar with Moore's rep, he basically called his own plays as a senior under Chris Peterson, a very good HC, who predicted he'd be a great coach. He was offered the OC job at WA before agreeing to return to the Cowboys.

It seems hard for some to accept that Moore might be the real deal just because he was a part of a failed coaching staff but he seems to win over players, even on the D side, quickly with his mind and grasp of the game.

Do you think McC didn't have to make some concessions, being a play caller himself, in order to bring Moore back? Think Moore didn't have some issues with his former HC stifling his creativity with his playing not to lose?

If you watched Boise State when he was there, the one word you would use to describe Moore's game was aggressive. Peterson called him that, said he was even more aggressive then he would have been. Aggressive is a double edged sword and those that play not to lose abhor it and consider it reckless. But that's his game, go for it every chance you get and when you get a lead, give it even more gas.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we can be as effective as we were last season it’s a win. Defense and, especially, ST need to improve. Offense wasn’t the problem, and if anything, we have better personnel there now than we did in 2019.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If we can be as effective as we were last season it’s a win. Defense and, especially, ST need to improve. Offense wasn’t the problem, and if anything, we have better personnel there now than we did in 2019.
I agree except for scoring. In this 8 losses, the scoring was well below the average in the 8 wins.

They need to finish drives and get more lethal in the RZ. They do that, they can make the D better by altering the game plans of the other teams and get more balls in the air as they did in 2014.

blueblood70

Reaction score
some of you are making far far to big of deal here on what that means..MM runs this ship now but he has co-captains like any well oiled ship, and you have to trust and not delegate and not micro manage and let the others do their thing, this Absolutely doesnt mean that MM hasnt had a hand in redeveloping the playbook and designs and have KM learning from his advise..

It means he trusts KM to do his job and wont have to look over his shoulder all game with a coach who want to meddle..

translation , he has long leash, doesnt mean he wont be tugged on here or there when needed..

isnt this what conspiracy theorist say Garett was doing to KM and didnt like the stepping on toes and meddling? so wouldn't this statement make you happy not have a barn fire of anxiety..jeez

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We'll see.

If it was my decision McCarthy would be the playcaller.

I don't know how much of a detriment Garrett was to Kellen Moore. I just know I saw great playcalling weeks 1-3 last year and we went to New Orleans and went into a complete shell offensively.

Everything is sunshine right now. We will see if we have a trendy up to date NFL offense soon enough.
I saw this too. I personally suspect that NO game was Garrett's fault, but obviously I can't know that.

What I'm confident I do know is that the Cowboys felt they were clearly the better team with Brees not playing, so they went ultra conservative to make sure they didn't beat themselves with mistakes. The result was they didn't take advantage of the momentum they built weeks 1-3, and it cost them.

I think it was Garrett's doing because I believe he has a more conservative, less creative nature than Moore.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I saw this too. I personally suspect that NO game was Garrett's fault, but obviously I can't know that.

What I'm confident I do know is that the Cowboys felt they were clearly the better team with Brees not playing, so they went ultra conservative to make sure they didn't beat themselves with mistakes. The result was they didn't take advantage of the momentum they built weeks 1-3, and it cost them.

I think it was Garrett's doing because I believe he has a more conservative, less creative nature than Moore.

The New Orleans game really capped the ceiling on our entire season.

I never felt good about the team after that game.. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing and knew the JG gameplan was alive and well.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The New Orleans game really capped the ceiling on our entire season.

I never felt good about the team after that game.. I couldn’t believe what I was seeing and knew the JG gameplan was alive and well.
It did seem that was a negative turning point in the season.

blueblood70

Reaction score
It did seem that was a negative turning point in the season.
less about conservative play and garrets influence and more about the horrible bad call on the zeke fumble and the fumble in open field on chink lay by Witten..those plays killed momentum and cost us the game IMO as it was 2 point game wa sit not?

blaming Garett gets old when plays like those influence close games..

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
less about conservative play and garrets influence and more about the horrible bad call on the zeke fumble and the fumble in open field on chink lay by Witten..those plays killed momentum and cost us the game IMO as it was 2 point game wa sit not?

blaming Garett gets old when plays like those influence close games..
Those plays did hurt, but shouldn't have been game killiers when the opponent only scored 12 points. There was a very clear and definite difference in the offensive approach to that game. The Cowboys weren't nearly as aggressive as they were the first 3 weeks. They pretty much reverted to dink and dunk in the passing game after opening things up more the first 3 weeks.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Those plays did hurt, but shouldn't have been game killiers when the opponent only scored 12 points. There was a very clear and definite difference in the offensive approach to that game. The Cowboys weren't nearly as aggressive as they were the first 3 weeks. They pretty much reverted to dink and dunk in the passing game after opening things up more the first 3 weeks.

disagree that Witten play was a big chunk play NOT dink and dunk and he fumbled it was HUGE, zekes was on a positive drive and the refs blew that those IMO easy 6points if not 10..you play lose games and your D held up and those were absolutely the reason we lost..you arent always going to be in a shootout and in tight games those two plays were key in the loss....

Doomsday101

Reaction score
McCarthy elaborated on that process Wednesday, acknowledging that football isn't always as complicated as it's made out to be.

"There's common concepts that were run here in the past that I've run for 20-plus years in this league, and then there's concepts that I didn't run in my past that were run here that I think are exceptional, so we'll run those," he said. "And there's some things that I have history in that weren't run here that we put in. That's really what it came down to."

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/even-with-new-staff-it-s-kellen-moore-s-show

I have no issue with a HC showing confidence in his coaching staff, I also know that McCarthy involvement in all aspect will take place including offense.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The philosophical connection between Mike McCarthy and Kellen Moore:

Through his 13 seasons as the Packers head coach, Mike McCarthy called offensive plays for all but one season. That was in 2015, and McCarthy quickly took back play-calling duties after the year, claiming he’d never do that again. But McCarthy’s Packers teams never had Kellen Moore, who will be calling plays in 2020.

Moore is still in charge of what plays are called and run, and he’ll presumably have more autonomy over the offense than he did under the previous head coach. McCarthy and Moore have both commented about how they’ve spent the offseason working to synthesize Moore’s highly-efficient offense from last year with McCarthy’s offense.

At first glance, this might seem like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Moore’s motion-heavy offense operated within Jason Garrett’s Air Coryell philosophy, which places an emphasis on vertical shots in the passing game centered around a strong run game. McCarthy, on the other hand, has run a variant of the West Coast offense that features short, quick passes and not much focus on running the ball.

But the reality is that these two coaches share a very deeply-rooted philosophical link that goes back decades. Understanding where their offensive philosophies come from sheds light on how this pairing could actually be the perfect situation for Dallas.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...hy-and-kellen-moore-bill-walsh-chris-petersen

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
disagree that Witten play was a big chunk play NOT dink and dunk and he fumbled it was HUGE, zekes was on a positive drive and the refs blew that those IMO easy 6points if not 10..you play lose games and your D held up and those were absolutely the reason we lost..you arent always going to be in a shootout and in tight games those two plays were key in the loss....
A single play does not reflect the entire game plan. Besides, is 16 yards really a "big chunk" play?

16 yards was actually the 2nd longest completion of the game for the Cowboys, and one of the longest throws other than the Cowboys last possession of the game they were behind and started the possession with their back to their own goal line and were forced to throw downfield. 17 of the 22 completions went for 10 yards or less, and 3 more were less than 15 yards. And if you look at the incompletions the majority of those were similar throws, except. again, during the last possession of the game.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s amazing that we have fans who believe just because Jethro hired a proven HC that he’s totally turned over football operations to him.

Theres always strings attached with our dysfunctional ownership. Moore is part of that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It’s amazing that we have fans who believe just because Jethro hired a proven HC that he’s totally turned over football operations to him.

Jerry will be and is involved, he was involved in the draft and FA as well. I do think McCarthy comes in with a lot of leeway during his honeymoon. For the most part the entire staff was replaced and was done with coaches McCarthy wanted. In terms of Moore, I think many fans here sell him short, he was a 1st year OC on an offense that ranked highly in the NFL so is it a shock that he would be retained? Not to me, in terms of philosophical believes in offense, there is more in common with McCarthy as was pointed out above. Moore did not come from a Don Coryell system he adjusted to that as a backup QB and 1st year OC but his basic roots are roots shared within WCO.

75boyz

Reaction score
McC didn't bring him back as Asst OC, his training wheels are off.

If you are not familiar with Moore's rep, he basically called his own plays as a senior under Chris Peterson, a very good HC, who predicted he'd be a great coach. He was offered the OC job at WA before agreeing to return to the Cowboys.

It seems hard for some to accept that Moore might be the real deal just because he was a part of a failed coaching staff but he seems to win over players, even on the D side, quickly with his mind and grasp of the game.

Do you think McC didn't have to make some concessions, being a play caller himself, in order to bring Moore back? Think Moore didn't have some issues with his former HC stifling his creativity with his playing not to lose?

If you watched Boise State when he was there, the one word you would use to describe Moore's game was aggressive. Peterson called him that, said he was even more aggressive then he would have been. Aggressive is a double edged sword and those that play not to lose abhor it and consider it reckless. But that's his game, go for it every chance you get and when you get a lead, give it even more gas.

All of this in context is dead on with regards to supplying reasoning and logic to why Moore was kept.

Im in Diehard's and others camp that keeping Moore was a conditional part of Mike being hired.

With all of the detailed explanation given before and after this post I wonder how the wins and loss bottom line will ultimately effect Moore's tenure here.

It seems as though Jerry has his ace in the hole on this round he played. Even if the Cowboys lose he either has a scapegoat as McCarthy to blame while keeping "his own supposed McVay"(remember that?) or they win and it's Jerry's hand picked offensive playcaller receiving the Lions share of the credit, and for all intents and purposes, Jerry's credit fix is still fulfilled.

All of the whys and x's and o's coaching justifications to explain why Moore is here starts to sound like preliminary damage control after a while.

They better be dominant on offense because this story will continue to fuel this fire of uncertain offensive accountability all season long.

Just like last year's version of "Whose offense is it?" played a central part in undermining the season.

I thought Risen's post on hiring an offensive coach only to have that coach pay proper respect to an existing offensive coach(OC) kinda hinted at this being the same status quo per Jerry Jones.
I just kinda further elaborated here in longhand, lol. :)

As always, just my opinion

Go Cowboys

Last edited:

blueblood70

Reaction score
A single play does not reflect the entire game plan. Besides, is 16 yards really a "big chunk" play?

16 yards was actually the 2nd longest completion of the game for the Cowboys, and one of the longest throws other than the Cowboys last possession of the game they were behind and started the possession with their back to their own goal line and were forced to throw downfield. 17 of the 22 completions went for 10 yards or less, and 3 more were less than 15 yards. And if you look at the incompletions the majority of those were similar throws, except. again, during the last possession of the game.
i replied with TWO plays and both drive killer's and he was still running when he fumbled could have been 20-25 yards so YES..it kills the flow and momentum of the game and robs you of Points, YES VERY FN IMPORTANT..THey were Critical plays and yes in close games even more important, its was not Garett ok hate on coaching all you want players lost that game and bad call on the ref.. those were Absolutely large and sorry but all games cant be 30-16 when you playing Miami and Washington and NYG./. this was real and those plays cost us..

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Big Mile doesn’t get to make that decision.

KMoore runs the offense.

Per Jerry Jones.
Where did you hear that? He said if Garrett tried to stifle him, then he should "come see me", but I don't recall that being said about MM.