Twitter: McCarthy: "I’ve gone out of my way to not make Kellen feel like I’m trying to step on his toes"

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
McC didn't bring him back as Asst OC, his training wheels are off.

If you are not familiar with Moore's rep, he basically called his own plays as a senior under Chris Peterson, a very good HC, who predicted he'd be a great coach. He was offered the OC job at WA before agreeing to return to the Cowboys.

It seems hard for some to accept that Moore might be the real deal just because he was a part of a failed coaching staff but he seems to win over players, even on the D side, quickly with his mind and grasp of the game.

Do you think McC didn't have to make some concessions, being a play caller himself, in order to bring Moore back? Think Moore didn't have some issues with his former HC stifling his creativity with his playing not to lose?

If you watched Boise State when he was there, the one word you would use to describe Moore's game was aggressive. Peterson called him that, said he was even more aggressive then he would have been. Aggressive is a double edged sword and those that play not to lose abhor it and consider it reckless. But that's his game, go for it every chance you get and when you get a lead, give it even more gas.

The NFL is a show me league. Show us Kellen Moore. Because last year was as predictable as ever after the 1st 3 games.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If MM needs to give Moore alot of input then wrong guy is calling the plays. I mean whats the point of MM coaching up Moore as OC. The only way Moore should be in this position of being OC with Super Bowl winning HC/OC now running the show is that Moore has different more innovative lean than MM.

Moore can be great at some skills, and not great at others. He seems good schematically. Maybe he's not so good strategically for game management, which HC's generally should have some input on anyway.

And Moore comes out of a different offensive philosophy than McCarthy. Moore is Coryell through Garrett, and whatever that weirdo Boise State stuff was, and McCarthy was WC. McCarthy should have a lot of input on WC scheme. And together, they have something to learn from each other to combine all three.

I think they're a very good pairing of complementary skills and experience. The combination should be better than either alone. I want to get the combination, not just Moore doing it alone.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I think McCarthy has every right as HC to have input into what the offense is going to consist of. Jerry shouldn't restrict him from that, if need be. Mike seems to be doing his best not to insist upon overriding Kellen but who can blame him for wanting a voice in the offensive scheme?! If Jerry forbids him from that action, it could easily cause a rift between MM and the FO, assuming that hasn't happened already. Who knows? Maybe it has. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Moore can be great at some skills, and not great at others. He seems good schematically. Maybe he's not so good strategically for game management, which HC's generally should have some input on anyway.

And Moore comes out of a different offensive philosophy than McCarthy. Moore is Coryell through Garrett, and whatever that weirdo Boise State stuff was, and McCarthy was WC. McCarthy should have a lot of input on WC scheme. And together, they have something to learn from each other to combine all three.

I think they're a very good pairing of complementary skills and experience. The combination should be better than either alone. I want to get the combination, not just Moore doing it alone.

I agree except for the fact Moore, his coaching upbringing was still based more on variation of the WCO be it Peterson who was actually on the same coaching staff with McCarthy at Pitt as they worked under Hackett who of course came out of the Bill Walsh WCO. Even much of Linehan background was around the WCO. Moore learned the concept of Coryell in the time he spent under Garrett but if you look most of Moore background in the game was still variations of the WCO

75boyz

Reaction score
I think McCarthy has every right as HC to have input into what the offense is going to consist of. Jerry shouldn't restrict him from that, if need be. Mike seems to be doing his best not to insist upon overriding Kellen but who can blame him for wanting a voice in the offensive scheme?! If Jerry forbids him from that action, it could easily cause a rift between MM and the FO, assuming that hasn't occurred already. Who knows? Maybe it has.

I tend to follow this line of thinking as well.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i replied with TWO plays and both drive killer's and he was still running when he fumbled could have been 20-25 yards so YES..it kills the flow and momentum of the game and robs you of Points, YES VERY FN IMPORTANT..THey were Critical plays and yes in close games even more important, its was not Garett ok hate on coaching all you want players lost that game and bad call on the ref.. those were Absolutely large and sorry but all games cant be 30-16 when you playing Miami and Washington and NYG./. this was real and those plays cost us..

lol - yes, you mentioned 2 plays a few posts back that hurt, and I acknowledge they did. But that wasn't the context of the comment of mine that you quoted and responded to with this nonsense.

The context of the comment you quoted was a response to your comment about the Witten play showing the game plan wasn't conservative with the passing game focused on dink and dunk. I didn't mention both of those plays because (1) you didn't claim that both plays dispute the idea of a conservative game plan with dink and dunk passing, and (2) because the play I didn't mention was a running play, and therefore does not dispute the idea of a conservative game plan with dink and dunk passing.

Keep up with the context and you may not have to have these all cap moments where you are screaming into the computer screen.

Last edited:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
lol - yes, you mentioned 2 plays a few posts back that hurt, and I acknowledge they did. But that wasn't the context of the comment of mine that you quoted and responded to with this nonsense.

The context of the comment you quoted was a response to your comment about the Witten play showing the game plan wasn't conservative with the passing game focused on dink and dunk. I didn't mention both of those plays because (1) you didn't claim that both plays dispute the idea of a conservative game plan with dink and dunk passing, and (2) because the play I didn't mention was a running play, and therefore does not dispute the idea of a conservative game plan with dink and dunk passing.

Keep up with the context and you may not have to have these all cap moments where you are screaming into the computer screen.

Funny when people talk of dink and dunk offense, Bell Belicheck and Tom Brady have made a HOF careers off of dink and dunk. How many short slants can one man throw successfully as Brady did in NE? Sure the occasional deep ball but so much of what NE did over the years with Brady was no more than short routs they hit consistently.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny when people talk of dink and dunk offense, Bell Belicheck and Tom Brady have made a HOF careers off of dink and dunk. How many short slants can one man throw successfully as Brady did in NE? Sure the occasional deep ball but so much of what NE did over the years with Brady was no more than short routs they hit consistently.
That's true to a point, but what they do is suck the defense in, and then throw the ball downfield, so they aren't disregarding a downfield element to the game plan. They always have a downfield element built into the game plan. I consider that a different animal from an offense that stays dedicated to the dink and dunk.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry will be and is involved, he was involved in the draft and FA as well. I do think McCarthy comes in with a lot of leeway during his honeymoon. For the most part the entire staff was replaced and was done with coaches McCarthy wanted. In terms of Moore, I think many fans here sell him short, he was a 1st year OC on an offense that ranked highly in the NFL so is it a shock that he would be retained? Not to me, in terms of philosophical believes in offense, there is more in common with McCarthy as was pointed out above. Moore did not come from a Don Coryell system he adjusted to that as a backup QB and 1st year OC but his basic roots are roots shared within WCO.
Sounds like you have your own belief system .

Doomsday101

Reaction score
That's true to a point, but what they do is suck the defense in, and then throw the ball downfield, so they aren't disregarding a downfield element to the game plan. They always have a downfield element built into the game plan. I consider that a different animal from an offense that stays dedicated to the dink and dunk.

Of course they use it to setup big play but have consistently dink and dunked as a big part of the offense.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yes and it was effective because their ability to go over the top kept defenses honest underneath.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Sounds like you have your own belief system .

No just went back and looked at the coaching trees of these men. Moore is not a Coryell guy because he spend time as QB coach and OC in 2 season under Garrett? His background goes beyond 2 years. I know both Peterson whom Moore played under and learned much from coached under Hackett who was with Walsh for good while at SF and McCarthy also part of that coaching staff at Pitt. Moore ran the offense in Dallas based on what Garrett wanted out of his offense to claim he is somehow bound by Garrett philosophy is a bit or a reach. I also think Moore is smart enough to work closely with McCarthy not against McCarthy. You do get they are working with each other not against each other? right

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yes and it was effective because their ability to go over the top kept defenses honest underneath.

Of course it is like using the run to set up the pass. Does not change the fact that it was a dink and dunk offense, that is not a knock

Dre11

Reaction score
Of course, he will say something about good about Kellen. What do you expect him to say?

Action speaks louder than words though. I have no doubt that Garrett probably took playcalling back because Kellen was getting too much of the credit.

Garrett couldn't have that. Doesn't look good for his coaching tenure.

lol.. your weak attempt was smashed, your no doubt means squat, Moore debunked that theory two, even laughed at it.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
lol.. your weak attempt was smashed, your no doubt means squat, Moore debunked that theory two, even laughed at it.

Smash by what? What do you expect Kellen to say? The playbook is outdated? That Garrett sucks? Seriously you have issues.

Dre11

Reaction score
Smash by what? What do you expect Kellen to say? The playbook is outdated? That Garrett sucks? Seriously you have issues.

lol....again weak, I take the man at his word, not some hack trying to push some dumb theory, why would anyone fighting for their job, stop what's working for something that's not. the logical answer here is that a rookie OC had some growing pains.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I understand . But there’s a reason it was so effective.

Yes, highly disciplined team, Pat did not shot themselves in the foot, they did not make the stupid mistakes at big moments in games. There was nothing amazing with the x's and o's, hell every time I watched the Pats I knew exactly what they were going to do I was never in shock. Pretty basic and executed extremely well with few mistakes.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
No just went back and looked at the coaching trees of these men. Moore is not a Coryell guy because he spend time as QB coach and OC in 2 season under Garrett? His background goes beyond 2 years. I know both Peterson whom Moore played under and learned much from coached under Hackett who was with Walsh for good while at SF and McCarthy also part of that coaching staff at Pitt. Moore ran the offense in Dallas based on what Garrett wanted out of his offense to claim he is somehow bound by Garrett philosophy is a bit or a reach. I also think Moore is smart enough to work closely with McCarthy not against McCarthy. You do get they are working with each other not against each other? right
Why would anyone think they are working against each other?

The bigger point I think is this isn’t McCarthy’s offense. And that’s not meant to be a negative.

It’s basically what Moore was running last year. Garrett’s offense which was top 10 most years. And that terminology which was what he inherited with Garrett.

Mike has even admitted he had to familiarize himself with it. That said it doesn’t mean Mike wont add some wrinkles , schemes and input of his own. How much is left to be seen.