McCarthy on Lance: He's close to being a master of the system

Proof

Reaction score

Jimbo123

Reaction score
Picking up Lance’s 5th year right now doesn't make any sense, resigning him won't be an issue if they decide he is Dak's replacement. Probably under the 25 mil cap hit it would be signing him on his option year.
It is too late for the 5th-year option, that ship sailed a while ago.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Those are old “please keep buying merch” comments. Two of them are from months ago.

The same corny “I believe in him (not enough to extend him though” type of stuff.

Where are the ones of him looking great and mastering the offense since OTAs started?

Proof

Reaction score
Lance gets $5.3M for 2024. That's more than at least two playoff QBs last season. Plenty for a one year "prove it" starting QB.
If Dallas wanted to trade Dak, a simple benching would open up trade talks. He will waive the NTC. If not, oh well,
they're both on the books whether the play or not.
The Raiders benched Derek Carr with two games to go two seasons ago. Last year, Denver sat Russell Wilson.
I know they weren't traded but teams didn't have a problem benching $100M-$200M QBs. So benching Dak wouldn't be any different.
when else? those are fairly specific cases and neither would apply in Dallas.

Proof

Reaction score
Those are old “please keep buying merch” comments. Two of them are from months ago.

The same corny “I believe in him (not enough to extend him though” type of stuff.

Where are the ones of him looking great and mastering the offense since OTAs started?
lol @ mastering the offense since OTA's. He's already done that over the years in their minds. That's not something that needs to be said. Lance is getting the bulk of pre-season snaps, dak can lead us to a superbowl. *shrug* at this point I'm looking forward to what lance can do and hope he lights it up. i just don't buy anything coming out of the FO's mouths

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
lol @ mastering the offense since OTA's. He's already done that over the years in their minds. That's not something that needs to be said. Lance is getting the bulk of pre-season snaps, dak can lead us to a superbowl. *shrug* at this point I'm looking forward to what lance can do and hope he lights it up. i just don't buy anything coming out of the FO's mouths
I buy PR campaigns from this organization.

They are hyping up the new toy while the old toy went from “confident a deal gets done” to “I’ll control what I can control” in about two weeks.

Proof

Reaction score
I buy PR campaigns from this organization.

They are hyping up the new toy while the old toy went from “confident a deal gets done” to “I’ll control what I can control” in about two weeks.
you realize they're marketing specifically to you right? lol. but if you like it i love it.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Stupid would be committing 4 more years to a QB of Dak's caliber. The fantasy that he will eventually get us there can be viewed as pretty pathetic. The real mistake that was made was giving Dak the no trade clause in his last contract, they painted themselves in a corner. Now the reality is do they repeat that mistake again and resign him, hamstringing the salary cap for the for seeable future, or cut the losses and walkaway? So far they seem to be willing to take the loss, which I for one hope they stick with. I'm pulling for Lance to make it an easier choice.
$50+ million dollar contracts do not hamstring the salary cap. Other teams have them. Poor management of player compensation does. The Cowboys have a cap mess and did it only giving Dak a $40 million AAV deal. No wonder they’re afraid to offer any players big contracts right now. Dak is not going to sign with the Cowboys unless it is over $55 million AAV with $200 million guaranteed. That is not forthcoming and he’ll be moving on. Why the team doesn’t just cut him loose now and get started with Lance can only be because they are unsure about the best course of action. The start of the season is not that far off to be wondering what you want to do.

RoboQB

Reaction score
when else? those are fairly specific cases and neither would apply in Dallas.
Not sure what you mean. "When else?" What?

I replied to a comment suggesting IF Lance were named starter, he would somehow be entitled to a higher salary.
Also, I mentioned benching Dak, hypothetically, would most likely incline him to waive his NTC that everyone seems to think is written in stone. I gave two examples of high priced QBs being benched recently.

When jumping into a conversation, it's best to go back to where that conversation began. Otherwise, you're just going to look like you're picking a fight on the internet.
To which the innocent feels obligated to defend themselves as the instigator instigates the other guy
to eventually be locked out, or even benched. Removing him from the conversation he was having with decent people. This has happened too many times to me recently.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is a master of the offense and the hope is so high that they went ahead and exercised his fifth year option in order to keep him...oh wait.

plymkr

Reaction score
Week 1 will tell us what Jerry is thinking. If Jerry tells big Mike to start Chuma Edoga at LT, then you know they want to get Lance a chance to see the field after Dak gets creamed.
Okay that actually was kind of funny. True, and funny.

Jayinem

Reaction score
What is the point of building him up right now unless hes the starting QB this season.

Flamma

Reaction score
What is the point of building him up right now unless hes the starting QB this season.
I don't know, but he's not starting unless Dak gets hurt. Do you want to be McCarthy answering questions after the game as to why he started Lance in a 28-6 loss to Cleveland in week 1? What would compel BigMac to start Lance?

HonoluluCowboy

Reaction score
$50+ million dollar contracts do not hamstring the salary cap. Other teams have them. Poor management of player compensation does. The Cowboys have a cap mess and did it only giving Dak a $40 million AAV deal. No wonder they’re afraid to offer any players big contracts right now. Dak is not going to sign with the Cowboys unless it is over $55 million AAV with $200 million guaranteed. That is not forthcoming and he’ll be moving on. Why the team doesn’t just cut him loose now and get started with Lance can only be because they are unsure about the best course of action. The start of the season is not that far off to be wondering what you want to do.
News Flash : Dak has not signed, nor will sign with the Cowboys . Jones said Sayonara loser ! Even CBS SPORTS today has an article pointing out its time for the Boys' to move on . Who do you think tipped the reporter ??

lmaooo Davidians keep praying to no avail

Jayinem

Reaction score
I don't know, but he's not starting unless Dak gets hurt. Do you want to be McCarthy answering questions after the game as to why he started Lance in a 28-6 loss to Cleveland in week 1? What would compel BigMac to start Lance?
Then there's no point to this thread is my point. You don't hype up a backup QB or third string, but I guess that's what they're doing for reasons.

Maybe they are trying to get Dak to sign a team friendly deal, I have no idea, even though that won't work.

Flamma

Reaction score
Then there's no point to this thread is my point. You don't hype up a backup QB or third string, but I guess that's what they're doing for reasons.

Maybe they are trying to get Dak to sign a team friendly deal, I have no idea, even though that won't work.
You're pretty spot on. I know a lot of people think they are signing Dak to an extension this year, but I don't think they are. They might sign him to one after this season, but not now. I'm just going by history. What the Cowboys usually do. There is no reason to sign Dak and open up 30M in cap space now.