McCarthy: We've adjusted some things in Trey Lance throwing motion

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Dak was working on different arm angles. Don’t think that’s what’s being tweaked with Lance. His throwing motion doesn’t look very good, which could explain his poor completion percentage.
Bottom line is he just has simply not played enough football, in high school, college, or the NFL. The Cowboys need to give him just about every snap in all three preseason games because that's what he needs. Reps, reps, and more reps.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Many QBs start with a low completion pct. Then improve. Trey has not had enough attempts to say he is not good.

I think Mahomes style is a bit quirky as well.
Romo completed over 65% after his first season as the starter. Mahomes uses different arm angles to make certain throws. That’s part of what’s made him great. A lot of QBs are working on that.

Qcard

Reaction score
How did he try to fleece Jerry. That was the 5th year option. Jerry declined to pick it up.
It has nothing to do with Trey trying to fleece him. As he had no leverage to do so.

The workout video had nothing to do with it.
It had everything to do with what Trey Lance did with his time while try to earn the 5th year option....Is there any doubt that Jerry Jones would have picked up the option if Lance showed his 2023 season thru 2024 OTAs tenure showed development and progress?

The workout videos showed me Trey Lance was camped out in Britt's office :lmao2:

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Bottom line is he just has simply not played enough football, in high school, college, or the NFL. The Cowboys need to give him just about every snap in all three preseason games because that's what he needs. Reps, reps, and more reps.
He played enough to be the third overall pick. Even if he gets every snap in preseason that probably won’t be enough for us to go forward with him unless he has to play during the regular season and plays well.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
He played enough to be the third overall pick. Even if he gets every snap in preseason that probably won’t be enough for us to go forward with him unless he has to play during the regular season and plays well.
He was third overall based on his 2019 season when he had like 30 TD's and zero picks. That was really his only college season. The pandemic hit, he played just one game in 2020, then entered the draft. He excelled at the combine and the 49ers drafted him more off potential than anything else.

All the tools were always there but nobody knows to this day if he can put it all together. The 49ers tried to find out but he got hurt. Then Brock Purdy came along and there was no longer a need to keep the project going.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
He was third overall based on his 2019 season when he had like 30 TD's and zero picks. That was really his only college season. The pandemic hit, he played just one game in 2020, then entered the draft. He excelled at the combine and the 49ers drafted him more off potential than anything else.

All the tools were always there but nobody knows to this day if he can put it all together. The 49ers tried to find out but he got hurt. Then Brock Purdy came along and there was no longer a need to keep the project going.
When a team gives up the farm to take a QB third overall and no longer feels the need to keep going with them after only two seasons they see no hope in the QB. Purdy has looked good but I’m still not totally sold on him. He couldn’t make the throws when he needed to with the SB on the line. That’s the same problem Jimmy G had in the SB a few years ago with the game in the line.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
When a team gives up the farm to take a QB third overall and no longer feels the need to keep going with them after only two seasons they see no hope in the QB. Purdy has looked good but I’m still not totally sold on him. He couldn’t make the throws when he needed to with the SB on the line.
I agree, it's odd the 49ers punted on third down with Lance given the investment. But there's also the chance they saw enough to see he wouldn't fit what they wanted to do schematically.

And, while I don't know if this has been discussed yet here, is it possible Lance himself might have wanted to start fresh someplace else after it became clear the 49ers wanted to roll with Purdy? I don't really know.

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
Why? His throwing mechanics have been one of the biggest knocks on the kid since he was drafted. Typically you don't want to play around too much with a QBs mechanics in season so it makes sense if it's been an offseason adjustment.

If McCarthy thinks he can decrease his release time and increase accuracy with some mechanical tweaks what's the harm? I think you have to look at Lance as playing with house money at this point.
Only its not house money, it was this years 4th rounder.

Mikexike

Reaction score
I agree, it's odd the 49ers punted on third down with Lance given the investment. But there's also the chance they saw enough to see he wouldn't fit what they wanted to do schematically.

And, while I don't know if this has been discussed yet here, is it possible Lance himself might have wanted to start fresh someplace else after it became clear the 49ers wanted to roll with Purdy? I don't really know.
The 49ers needed someone to be better than JimmyG, They thought lance was him but he got hurt... They just happened to luck out on Purdy or else they would still be developing Lance..

Lance got what he wanted which was a trade for a fresh start.

Chasing6

Reaction score
As much as I want to be open minded here, I can't see any reason anyone would have an issue with McCarthy tweaking Lance's throwing motion other than the fact that Dak doesnt have an extension done yet.
It should have been done last year. A lot of people on here that thought McCarthy the QB guru was working with Trance last year. He clearly was not.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

With everything they gave up to get him you would think they would have given him the duration of his contract to come around. You don’t see teams give up any player who they invested a top 5 pick on after only 2 seasons unless there’s a serious off the field issue with the player. Lance may have wanted out but the 49ers invested far too much in him to try and do him a favor. If they saw any hope in him he would still be in SF and they wouldn’t have parted ways with him for only a 4th round pick. No teams saw much hope in him or someone would have given up at least a second rounder. It’s clear the 49ers wanted to get at least something for him.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Even as a Dak supporter I am excited for the possibilities with Lance.

No player lasts forever. And smart teams look for players at every position. The Cowboys have lucked into their last two franchise QBs in Dak and Romo. Before that it was a nightmare.

Lance might save us from a potential post-Dak nightmare. Instead of dumping on this kid, why not give him a chance?

fivetwos

Reaction score
I agree, but the longer they take, what message are you sending to Dak?

What message was sent when they traded for Trance? When we had a legit back up QB in Rush.

The longer you wait, he starts opening up his mind and preparing to depart. I am sure Dak's agent already knows what teams will be interested and who has the cap space.

At some point Dak and his agent are going to say we are no longer interested in negotiating and just want to play out the year and see what happens. Dak has never been afraid to bet on himself.
I think we are already to where it makes no sense for either side to do a fair deal until the season plays out.

The team should make Prescott assume the injury risk, which he can insure against.

From the player’s point of view, you’re too close to the true open market (no tags) to agree to anything less than a market resetting deal.

The factor that we don’t know is how much of his endorsements cancel or reduce if he isn’t the QB for the Cowboys. I’d bet it’s significant, and why he will give Jerry a slight discount and make him happy, and to make him feel vindicated after losing the last round.

Sometimes change for change sake is necessary, and since not a whole lot makes sense these days, it’s possible at least one of the two sides is leaning in that direction. Again though, in the end, I think they both balk at the uncertainty of the divorce fallout and come to an agreement.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Why do so many feel threatened with Lance being on the team? There is a 0% chance that he beats Dak out of a job no matter how the preseason goes. There is nothing wrong with trying to salvage his career and make improvements here and there. At worst, he sucks and his career is over. At best, he improves and can be traded for something or a possible future starter in Dallas if talks with Dak fail.

Lance is still very inexperienced and worth giving a shot to play most of the preseason to see if he can progress. The hand-wringing over this opportunity is ridiculous and petty.
It is not about him being a threat. He was never going to be threat to Dak from day 1. It is the fact that GM Jethro on his own stupidly, wasted a 4th round pick and $5.3M.

We could have traded last year for a LB.

We could have added Henry this year with that $5.3M.

We could have drafted a RB this year in the 4th round. Then we could have spent the $5.3M on a DT.

Mikexike

Reaction score
Even as a Dak supporter I am excited for the possibilities with Lance.

No player lasts forever. And smart teams look for players at every position. The Cowboys have lucked into their last two franchise QBs in Dak and Romo. Before that it was a nightmare.

Lance might save us from a potential post-Dak nightmare. Instead of dumping on this kid, why not give him a chance?
Its because a lot of people on here thinks he is a FB with an arm.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

I wonder if they shortened it. He seemed to have a bit of a wind-up motion, bringing the arm down and around at times instead of cocking it back to set for release.