McClay (2017) on Rico in practice - "We can't stop him" against 1st teamers **merged**

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
During DallasCowboys.Com Cowboys Break, Steve Eatman asked Will McClay about Rico Gathers and everything sounds very promising. McClay even went on to say, “We can’t stop him”. And Rico/Romo were going against 1st teamers in byron jones, church and heath.

So his passcatching was called "unstoppable" against 1st teamers, but yet there are people who claim Rico is nothing special? That was in 2017, so people seriously now think he 'forgot' how to be unstoppable???

https://thesportsdaily.com/2017/05/03/will-mcclay-on-rico-gathers-we-cant-stop-him/

furthermore, Broaddus said during an episode of The Draft Show this week. “I will say this. I had people come up to me and say, cause I was always curious about Rico [Gathers], I had people come up to me and say ‘You ought-of seen what [Tony] Romo did with him today, ... Cause Romo was with him on scout team. And Romo just kept throwing him the ball because he was so much bigger. He was battling [Barry] Church, he’s battling [Byron] Jones, he’s battling [J.J.] Wilcox and [Jeff] Heath. The kid just kept making plays. The problem is not the athletic ability, it’s the mental side…he just hasn’t played football”

here is a video of a Mcclay gushing about Rico.

3 games in the preseason and 1 decent catch? (granted I didnt watch the 4th quarters maybe I missed something) But if my assumption is correct in that we havent seen any game action, then how can that be?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
i did answer.
perhaps marty's talent may be in other areas rather than catching the fade pass.
good coaches take advantage of the strength of players.
rico was ncaa leading rebounder with ridiculous numbers.
it takes a certain kind of brain talent to do that, and marty may not have that.
Rico wasn't leading NCAA rebounder his last year in college...he was 49th....he was 4th in his Jr. year...which means still there were 3 others better than him......which then that makes them in your words super ridiculous numbers....

and being a rebounding leader doesn't make you a football player...otherwise, there were 48 other rebounders ahead of rico that we should have considered....so that line of reasoning is quite stupid if I may say so...don't be offended.

and now you are saying rico is better talent than Marty B, you just went there.... and that Marty B has no brain talent..... fantastic...the myth of rico grows, the guy who can't remember his assignments compared to a guy who played 11 years in the NFL...awesome....

waldoputty

Reaction score
yes, give him 10 years...there are expectations of how quickly NFL players need to learn, how they learn, etc. there are great players in the NFL, tons of them and will continue to be....to invest so much in some one...that can only give you a fade route after 3 years...cut your losses and move on and look for the next great TE..... its the NFL...he ain't worth it.....and all recent articles and reports from camp say the same thing...tale of the tape in watching the games concur that...he is now probably as good as some big time high school players in his knowledge and ability

keep twisting the facts.
1. 2.5 training camps
2. 1 season of ps where he can practice
3. 1 season of ir where he cannot practice - the big mistake or garrett jail
4 3-4 years of controllable years remaining - key stat
5. even the articles this year say he has talent but lack experience. nobody i know of said he lack significant talent, unlike the other te's

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
not everyone twists facts like u - ;)

How Baylor big man Rico Gathers became the bestrebounder in college basketball.
https://www.si.com/college-basketba...co-gathers-college-basketballs-best-rebounder

once again... true stats for you not somebody's opinion....opinions are like a-holes...everybody has one (including me LOL)

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...er/_/stat/rebounds/sort/avgRebounds/year/2015

scroll to the second page to find his name here

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...er/_/stat/rebounds/sort/avgRebounds/year/2016

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
keep twisting the facts.
1. 2.5 training camps
2. 1 season of ps where he can practice
3. 1 season of ir where he cannot practice - the big mistake or garrett jail
4 3-4 years of controllable years remaining - key stat
5. even the articles this year say he has talent but lack experience. nobody i know of said he lack significant talent, unlike the other te's
2.5 training camps and he still doesn't know the playbook or simple assignments...so that's why I said he needs 10 years and a full time dedicated coach, maybe two....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
3 games in the preseason and 1 decent catch? (granted I didnt watch the 4th quarters maybe I missed something) But if my assumption is correct in that we havent seen any game action, then how can that be?
ahhh, you didn't miss much...a very simple route, peewee level and he played against a bunch of scrubs.... his footwork was awful and he looked like he started off in mud before gaining any type of speed.....

waldoputty

Reaction score
once again... true stats for you not somebody's opinion....opinions are like a-holes...everybody has one (including me LOL)

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...er/_/stat/rebounds/sort/avgRebounds/year/2015

scroll to the second page to find his name here

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...er/_/stat/rebounds/sort/avgRebounds/year/2016

here is another article by someone else - this is not a fluke or fantasy:
College basketball's best offensive rebounder wants to be an NFL tight end
6'8, 275-pound Rico Gathers averages nearly a double-double on the basketball court, but a transition to football appears to be his best bet.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-ba...rico-gathers-NFL-tight-end-college-basketball

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
6'8, 275-pound Rico Gathers averages nearly a double-double on the basketball court, but a transition to football appears to be his best bet.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-ba...rico-gathers-NFL-tight-end-college-basketball
I get it, its another opinion....again see the actual stats...real ones...happened in a game...recorded for eternity...its an opinion article yet again... doesn't prove anything...like I showed you..

and again, what does rebounding ability have to do with being a TE in the NFL? link that up

so answer me a question: why didn't we draft the other three players that were better than this ridiculous rebounder? wouldn't they be more coordinated and better for fade away jump balls in the end zone?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
btw, its funny, to pump him up they said he nearly averages a double double, not that he really did, like so many other players..... too funny

waldoputty

Reaction score
I get it, its another opinion....again see the actual stats...real ones...happened in a game...recorded for eternity...its an opinion article yet again... doesn't prove anything...like I showed you..

and again, what does rebounding ability have to do with being a TE in the NFL? link that up

so answer me a question: why didn't we draft the other three players that were better than this ridiculous rebounder? wouldn't they be more coordinated and better for fade away jump balls in the end zone?

i have no idea as i dont follow ncaa basketball.
it may be a reb/min measure or some other measure
if it is on SI, i am sure they have their basis.

waldoputty

Reaction score
ahhh, you didn't miss much...a very simple route, peewee level and he played against a bunch of scrubs.... his footwork was awful and he looked like he started off in mud before gaining any type of speed.....

but u did not mention the tape where he is schooling jones, church and heath - like little kids playing ball with daddy

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
i have no idea as i dont follow ncaa basketball.
it may be a reb/min measure or some other measure
if it is on SI, i am sure they have their basis.
wait. you dont' follow NCAA, yet you just quoted a bunch of articles about NCAA basketball player and how great he is.... so you are not sure, yet you make a claim and use it to exclaim greatness...so you are saying you have no clue? finally

waldoputty

Reaction score
wait. you dont' follow NCAA, yet you just quoted a bunch of articles about NCAA basketball player and how great he is.... so you are not sure, yet you make a claim and use it to exclaim greatness...so you are saying you have no clue? finally

no i quote sports illustrated which named him as best ncaa rebounder.
i quote from mcclay and si
on the other hand, u count on garrett and urself :lmao::lmao::lmao:

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
During DallasCowboys.Com Cowboys Break, Steve Eatman asked Will McClay about Rico Gathers and everything sounds very promising. McClay even went on to say, “We can’t stop him”. And Rico/Romo were going against 1st teamers in byron jones, church and heath.

So his passcatching was called "unstoppable" against 1st teamers, but yet there are people who claim Rico is nothing special? That was in 2017, so people seriously now think he 'forgot' how to be unstoppable???

https://thesportsdaily.com/2017/05/03/will-mcclay-on-rico-gathers-we-cant-stop-him/

furthermore, Broaddus said during an episode of The Draft Show this week. “I will say this. I had people come up to me and say, cause I was always curious about Rico [Gathers], I had people come up to me and say ‘You ought-of seen what [Tony] Romo did with him today, ... Cause Romo was with him on scout team. And Romo just kept throwing him the ball because he was so much bigger. He was battling [Barry] Church, he’s battling [Byron] Jones, he’s battling [J.J.] Wilcox and [Jeff] Heath. The kid just kept making plays. The problem is not the athletic ability, it’s the mental side…he just hasn’t played football”

here is a video of a Mcclay gushing about Rico.

We got Barry Church back?