McClay (2017) on Rico in practice - "We can't stop him" against 1st teamers **merged**

waldoputty

Reaction score
so one sentence from Mcclay in 2017, before training camp...and since then McClay has not talked to Garrett, given they don't talk to each other and cowboys have not drafted an TEs since, because they were sold on Rico...I mean isn't McClay in charge of scouting and directly involved in the draft....(oh oh, brain twist).

and given you like to cite science, which is evidence based, facts based and numbers based and not opinion based.... then you shouldn't have a hard time understanding why rico suck (oh oh, another brain twist)...

:muttley:

here is another scientific nugget regarding brain biology relevant to rebounding a basketball (or catching a pass). the ability to do that well does not disappear over a 1 year time period. again, a reference is provided in the way a rational discussion over science.

For example, to catch a bouncing ball the brain relies on the position and speed of the ball. However, when kinematic information is unreliable one may additionally rely on temporal cues. In the bouncing ball example, when visibility is low one may benefit from the temporal information provided by the sound of the bounces. Our work provides evidence that humans rely on such temporal cues and automatically integrate them with kinematic information to optimize their performance. This finding reveals a hitherto unappreciated role of the brain’s timing mechanisms in sensorimotor function.

http://www.pnas.org/content/early/2018/03/02/1713316115

dallasdave

Reaction score
here is another scientific nugget regarding brain biology relevant to rebounding a basketball (or catching a pass). the ability to do that well does not disappear over a 1 year time period. again, a reference is provided in the way a rational discussion over science.

For example, to catch a bouncing ball the brain relies on the position and speed of the ball. However, when kinematic information is unreliable one may additionally rely on temporal cues. In the bouncing ball example, when visibility is low one may benefit from the temporal information provided by the sound of the bounces. Our work provides evidence that humans rely on such temporal cues and automatically integrate them with kinematic information to optimize their performance. This finding reveals a hitherto unappreciated role of the brain’s timing mechanisms in sensorimotor function.

Rico is going to be a catching machine this year !!!!!

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
swaim is the best blocker. and schultz is being kept, i agree. i haven't seen enough of plays from jarwin to keep him over rico but i also haven't seen enough practice to know how either are playing down in and down out.

I would put Schultz onto the practice squad. He can't block also. And he certainly can't run routes and as slow as molasses. If someone picks up Schultz it won't be a big deal. He doesn't offer anything worth screaming home about.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
it was not one sentence. i took the trouble to provide the video. do try to listen to the whole thing with an open mind.

simple physics - conservation of momentum - a 280lb pound man will win in a collision with a 200-250lb man most of the time.

visual processing necessary for basketball rebounding or catching a pass in the cerebral cortex, including depth perception and timing, does not just degenerate over a few months or even 1 year unless there is an injury.
I have an idea I have been mulling for a little while, with all our injury issues on the OL and apparent debth at DL, you think it would be worth trying to convert one of the DL players. I mean they know what the DL does and all their tricks and perhaps they can more easily convert to being a center. most of them have the quickness, they just need to learn to snap the ball. they should have an easier time making the line calls, since they know all the defensive tricks. what's your thoughts on that?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

what's your thoughts on the slot CB? I was kind of hoping that Brown would take it and run with it and have a bounce back year, but I have been a bit disappointed, but hopefully given lewis and brown one can come through.

I just hope we would make a trade for ET already.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I have an idea I have been mulling for a little while, with all our injury issues on the OL and apparent debth at DL, you think it would be worth trying to convert one of the DL players. I mean they know what the DL does and all their tricks and perhaps they can more easily convert to being a center. most of them have the quickness, they just need to learn to snap the ball. they should have an easier time making the line calls, since they know all the defensive tricks. what's your thoughts on that?

you can try but sounds like our probowler tfred may be back sooner than later (knock on wood)
looney seems like a very decent backup and did quite well in the preseason games.

a dt that we could cut would likely not be picked up by someone.
there are a number of backup oc candidates that was listed in another thread.
that could serve as a disposable backup oc while tfred recovers.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
you can try but sounds like our probowler tfred may be back sooner than later (knock on wood)
looney seems like a very decent backup and did quite well in the preseason games.

a dt that we could cut would likely not be picked up by someone.
there are a number of backup oc candidates that was listed in another thread.
that could serve as a disposable backup oc while tfred recovers.
true, but I wouldn't really count on fred….its not a definite recovery timeline for those things....I think it would be worth trying one of those DTs..depeding on which oc's are available after the cut...

waldoputty

Reaction score
true, but I wouldn't really count on fred….its not a definite recovery timeline for those things....I think it would be worth trying one of those DTs..depeding on which oc's are available after the cut...
lets hope for the best, but looks like a backup oc would be available.
i prefer to trade someone like tapper or ealy for one if anyone would make a trade.
a 5th round pick would be fine too or even a 4th if we have no choice.
better off trading for one now while there is some good new for tfred.
or someone would have us under the barrel like at safety

we have enough dt's to convert if anyone wants to try, and i doubt anyone would try to take them away. i have no idea what is needed for a center except at least 300lb would be nice. i am also not sure how difficult it is to hike a ball reliably. also the player would have to be able to handle shotgun where ball velocity and accuracy may be difficult. getting that motion down may take a long time.