McGregor vs Mayweather

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Along with boxing skill, there is also strategy involved. It is always a good strategy to let a less experienced or inferior opponent tire themselves out. Mayweather has done this in the past. It wasn't surprising he would do it again. It also takes some skill to implement this strategy. Positioning ones self to not take too many big hits or move in a way to conserves more energy than your opponent. There is a definite skill to that.

Is it a good strategy to eat jab after jab and takes shots as well.

You guys who keep saying Mayweathers strategy to tire him our are talking through pure hindsight.

Meanwhile during the actual fight Mayweather couldn't close down distance and when he did he ate jabs for his trouble.

Then with 1:52 left in the 4th round Connor started to gas.

So it's easy to sit back and say Floyd had some great strategy but Connor hit him over a 100 times and made him fight a style that he wasn't used to fighting.

He couldn't just sit back and be defensive all night because he had to close the distance.

Eventually Connor gassed and that's what won Floyd the fight. His boxing skill was a distant 2nd.

If it was so easy for Floyd he would've ended the fight before round 10 being 49-0 and all against a guy who was 0-0. This was supposed to be some kind of joke which it was not at all. The only joke about Connor was his cardio.

joseephuss

Reaction score
You guys who keep saying Mayweathers strategy to tire him our are talking through pure hindsight.

If it was so easy for Floyd he would've ended the fight before round 10 being 49-0 and all against a guy who was 0-0. This was supposed to be some kind of joke which it was not at all. The only joke about Connor was his cardio.

When did I say it was so easy?

It isn't hindsight. Mayweather has implemented this strategy in the past. It wasn't difficult to imagine it would be used again. He could take jabs because he had the skill to do so without taking on a lot of punishment. If he was truly getting hurt with those shots he would have had to do something else, but all those shots took more out of Connor than they did Floyd. It wasn't just chance or dumb luck that Connor got fatigued. Going into the match many people speculated that Connor may not have the stamina for a long match.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
It seemed obvious when l read it. I mean 200 million!! If that was true...l guess Connors punches did more damage than everyone thought.
:lmao::lmao2::lmao:

Look man!:lmao: I googled dexters news it came back
Houston Chronicle Carried the news that he was donating 200 million to help with food clothing and housing for the unfortunate and it was going to be funded through his charitable Floyd Mayweather organization casing liner Foundationo_O

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
When did I say it was so easy?

It isn't hindsight. Mayweather has implemented this strategy in the past. It wasn't difficult to imagine it would be used again. He could take jabs because he had the skill to do so without taking on a lot of punishment. If he was truly getting hurt with those shots he would have had to do something else, but all those shots took more out of Connor than they did Floyd. It wasn't just chance or dumb luck that Connor got fatigued. Going into the match many people speculated that Connor may not have the stamina for a long match.

Maybe the guy just figured out how to win a fight when another guy was gassed.

He ate a lot of punches for a guy implementing a strategy.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Maybe the guy just figured out how to win a fight when another guy was gassed.

He ate a lot of punches for a guy implementing a strategy.
Those were slaps not punches........ CM had no juice behind his punches ...... too off balance

Everyone knew he would wear down if he made it that far......Boxing is 10x tougher than MMA cardio wise.......FM carried him 3 rounds and then toyed with him

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Those were slaps not punches........ CM had no juice behind his punches ...... too off balance

Everyone knew he would wear down if he made it that far......Boxing is 10x tougher than MMA cardio wise.......FM carried him 3 rounds and then toyed with him
:hammer:

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Is it a good strategy to eat jab after jab and takes shots as well.

Meanwhile during the actual fight Mayweather couldn't close down distance and when he did he ate jabs for his trouble.

Then with 1:52 left in the 4th round Connor started to gas.

So it's easy to sit back and say Floyd had some great strategy but Connor hit him over a 100 times and made him fight a style that he wasn't used to fighting.

He couldn't just sit back and be defensive all night because he had to close the distance.

Eventually Connor gassed and that's what won Floyd the fight. His boxing skill was a distant 2nd.

Anyone even remotely familiar with the sport of boxing knew what Mayweather was doing as he was doing it.

It's comical to think a 50-0 world champion boxer was somehow clueless has to how to handle someone fighting his very first professional boxing match.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The big loser was boxing. This was essentially another example of why the sport sucks.
Floyd ate punches for 4-5 rounds, not even bothering the first 3 rounds to throw back.
He finally turned it on and was pulling away but the ref had no business stopping the match without as much as a knockdown in a fight of this magnitude.
Conor was paid plenty to take his beating til he fell down.

Thankfully I saw this free. Buying boxing matches is a waste of time.

Boxing is not harder than MMA in any way. Which is why the boxer is not going to agree to an MMA style rematch.
But like a world class decathlete being a better all-around athlete than any sprinter, they aren't gonna beat a world class sprinter in a short race.
Floyd turned up the intensity in rounds 6 on and it was pretty much over then.
But we were robbed of the knockdown that would have come in 30 secs or so.

visionary

Reaction score
I've got news for those of you trying to analyze this fight

The whole thing was a set up

Floyd wanted 50-0, he got it

Connor wanted to make a ton of money and increase his brand without getting knocked out, he got it

The fans wanted an 'entertaining ' thus did not end early, they got it

lol, when is the last time everyone got what they wanted?

This fight was scripted from start to finish

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Along with boxing skill, there is also strategy involved. It is always a good strategy to let a less experienced or inferior opponent tire themselves out. Mayweather has done this in the past. It wasn't surprising he would do it again. It also takes some skill to implement this strategy. Positioning ones self to not take too many big hits or move in a way to conserves more energy than your opponent. There is a definite skill to that.

Especially when the other guy weighs at least 20 pounds more than you

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
The big loser was boxing. This was essentially another example of why the sport sucks.
Floyd ate punches for 4-5 rounds, not even bothering the first 3 rounds to throw back.
He finally turned it on and was pulling away but the ref had no business stopping the match without as much as a knockdown in a fight of this magnitude.

Boxing is not harder than MMA in any way. Which is why the boxer is not going to agree to an MMA style rematch.
But like a world class decathlete being a better all-around athlete than any sprinter, they aren't gonna beat a world class sprinter in a short race.

Boxing's a great sport, but the promotion corruption has ruined it.

It needs someone like Floyd - honestly - to use his Mayweather Productions brand and buying power to establish a true governing body like UFC.

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score

Anybody trying to hype up McGregor has an agenda, lol.

This is 100% accurate. Floyd did the equivalent of a school yard bully hold a flailing kid by his forehead, swinging punches and getting tired for 3 rounds, and then started working his body to get those hands down, and then it was a straight up beating. McGregor is lucky the ref stopped the fight, because he would've been taking a nap in about 10 more seconds (if that).

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I don't think Floyd is the best but that just my opinion.

He is the best, pound for pound. There have been better fighters but Floyd is the best boxer that I've ever seen, and I've watched a ton of boxing and I boxed in college.

His defense is elite, he doesn't usually ever get punched, and he knows how to fill up the scorecard.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
He is the best, pound for pound. There have been better fighters but Floyd is the best boxer that I've ever seen, and I've watched a ton of boxing and I boxed in college.

His defense is elite, he doesn't usually ever get punched, and he knows how to fill up the scorecard.
Floyd is the best defensive fighter of all time across weight classes. To me that's without question.

But I do not have any idea how he would fair versus guys of other eras where judges scored differently and refs didn't save people from beatings.

Have I ever watched Mayweather fight and thought this dude would kill Hagler/Hearns/Sugar Ray? Nope.
By the same token I've never watched Mayweather fight anyone and thought he'd actually lose.

He's a lot like the Ray Lewis led Ravens Super Bowl teams. Painfully effective, brutally efficient but very one dimensional and not very entertaining.

I never watched Mayweather fight and 'felt' the way I did watching a 19 year old Mike Tyson.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Floyd is the best defensive fighter of all time across weight classes. To me that's without question.

But I do not have any idea how he would fair versus guys of other eras where judges scored differently and refs didn't save people from beatings.

Have I ever watched Mayweather fight and thought this dude would kill Hagler/Hearns/Sugar Ray? Nope.
By the same token I've never watched Mayweather fight anyone and thought he'd actually lose.

He's a lot like the Ray Lewis led Ravens Super Bowl teams. Painfully effective, brutally efficient but very one dimensional and not very entertaining.

I never watched Mayweather fight and 'felt' the way I did watching a 19 year old Mike Tyson.
Mayweather mastered the sport of boxing and the promotion of a heel

Fans either wanted to watch FM paint a defensive and counter punching masterpiece or they hated him so much they wanted to see him killed....... so they overlooked his choice of opponents and bought all the PPVs hoping to see a bloody fight

FM fought everyone out there just not always in the order we wanted
He is the best boxer imo but not fighter or attraction..... he was so good his fights were boring

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

MMA is no better

They have to put 10 fights on a card and the lesser fights are no different than the main draws
They can last 10 secs or 15 minutes of hugging
They top guys are all 15-8 or 22-11

Their biggest star was an over-rated woman that got demolished by a "nobody"
CM is just another loud mouth self promoter
Their champ just got busted for drugs again

MMA is like the decathlon..... you know the sport Bruce Jenner won
Boxing is the 100m dash............ you win and you are the Fastest Man in the World and it is the main event at any track meet