Mel Kiper on Anthony Spencer

BLT

Reaction score
Mel Kiper is giving us some SERIOUS LOVE!!!! OMG while i type this he just said Antony spencer will be the biggest Difference maker.. Before this they asked him who the Defensive ROY will be and with out hesitation he said ANTHONY SPENCER! hes like this guy will help out Ware and get 12-15 sacks... omg how great would that be.. WARE and Spencer with almost 30 sacks combined? thats crazy

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Kiper was saying Spencer will be DROY way before the draft.

He absolutely loves him.

Reaction score
BLT;1484524 said:
Mel Kiper is giving us some SERIOUS LOVE!!!! OMG while i type this he just said Antony spencer will be the biggest Difference maker.. Before this they asked him who the Defensive ROY will be and with out hesitation he said ANTHONY SPENCER! hes like this guy will help out Ware and get 12-15 sacks... omg how great would that be.. WARE and Spencer with almost 30 sacks combined? thats crazy

LOL I was just watching that! Yeah Mel Kiper LOVES Spencer! If Dallas isn't afraid to start a rookie OLB then I like his chances to get Defensive ROY..

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Thanks for posting--that is the kind of reports I just love to read--man, that may set a record for two defensive players on the same team......It would be interesting to know what that total is?

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
I think he even said that before the draft too. ROY that is.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's Kiper's answer regarding "Which OLB is the best fit for a 3-4 defense?"

"I think this guy is a very underrated player, from a program that supplied the NFL with Shaun Phillips: I'm going with Anthony Spencer from Purdue. He's a heck of an outside pass-rusher and plays on his feet very effectively. He completely schooled Notre Dame tackle Ryan Harris this year. The guy has great instincts, good closing speed, hustles on plays on the opposite side of the field and never quits."

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
Joe Thomas and Levi Brown also said Spencer were their toughest competition.

Nice to hear that from 2 top 5 picks.

jimmy40

Reaction score
BLT;1484524 said:
So how long before Kiper can go back to being an idiot?

Reaction score
Spencer should be starting at OLB! I'm hoping he develops fast in training camp much like Demarcus Ware did...

BLT

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1484531 said:
Thanks for posting--that is the kind of reports I just love to read--man, that may set a record for two defensive players on the same team......It would be interesting to know what that total is?

i remember a few years ago trace armstrong and jason taylor had i think 16 or so each.. thats gotta be close to the record

BLT

Reaction score
jimmy40;1484552 said:
So how long before Kiper can go back to being an idiot?

right after he gives us love..then hes back to being an idiot

Roughneck

Reaction score
He's a damn good prospect coming into a great system, in which he is a perfect fit, and will play on the other side of one of the most dominant, up-and-coming pass rushers in the entire league.

Not hard to see why Spencer could rack up some hardware at the end of the season.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
lurkercowboy;1484554 said:
So, who did Kiper tout last year? It would be interesting to know.

Last year Kiper touted Cameron Wimbley as rookie of the year on defense. :)

I always enjoy kiper, but remember what most on here say: "Kiper's an idiot with funny hair"....hahaha.

smarta5150

Mr. Wright
Reaction score
wayne motley;1484569 said:
Last year Kiper touted Cameron Wimbley as rookie of the year on defense. :)

I always enjoy kiper, but remember what most on here say: "Kiper's an idiot with funny hair"....hahaha.

I always thought he was a machine.

Going to the draft 4 straight years I never saw the guy eat or drink...

During commercial breaks the guy would put his head down like he went into power save mode.

Actually, they are probably packing him back up into the closet as we speak.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's a positive mention from SI's Don Banks as well:

"10. I can't wait to watch what Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips does with the team's first-round pick, linebacker/defensive end Anthony Spencer. Phillips could have himself another Shawne Merriman to mold. This much seems assured: DeMarcus Ware won't be the only guy rushing the passer in Dallas this season."

These comments echo what I feel as well. I think Spencer will be used as the SOLB 'Merriman role' and Ware will have the more coverage responsibilities of the two.

Spencer reminds me more of Merriman than Shaun Phillips and I think he'll be the Dallas defense's version of Shawne Merriman (hopefully with similar success).

BLT

Reaction score
yea ive always liked kiper too.. the guy is amazing.. he has perfected his craft.. obvious he loves his job.. a lot of people dont like him because sometimes hes wrong and he doesnt admit it.. but i dont think espn wants him telling people what he thinks.. just state it as facts