Mel Kipers perfect 3 round mock draft

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hey, I made my point already, you just tried to ignore it. No actions from this team indicates this " dire need" for TE that you claim they have. None.

No I didn't ignore it. I tried to talk football and you replied with a smug remark.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd consider Howard at 28 because he appears to be that special.

But after that, I'd probably wait until the later rounds for a TE unless maybe a guy like Butt is there in the 4th, I would strongly consider him. Doubt he lasts that long.

Same here, except for the part about Howard. Even if he was there, which I don't feel he will be, I'd pass on him. Best player available is great, and overall the way to go, but it's not an absolute thing either. Need is always a factor. And, no matter how things shake out prior to pick #28, there will be a defensive player there worthy of pick #28.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
And it won't. He just wants to refuse to believe it.

How much effort was made to keep a "WR/TE" in Escobar that they used a 2nd round pick on? Answer? None.

And how many free agent TE's have they looked at to fill this "huge need"? Answer? None.

So how much effort have they put in to fill this "huge need"? None.

Escobar was not a good player.

He couldn't block and he couldn't get himself in good positions to make himself a target.

Also, all of these guys played with a young Witten. Jason Witten is not what he was at all. TE is not a position of strength with this team anymore and a TE helps SEVERAL aspects of this offense.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No I didn't ignore it. I tried to talk football and you replied with a smug remark.

I wasn't being smug at all. Sorry if that's how it came across. If they take a TE within the first three rounds, I'll be shocked. And please feel free to tell me how wrong I was about it if they do.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Escobar was not a good player.

He couldn't block and he couldn't get himself in good positions to make himself a target.

This team kept that player on the roster for four years. After drafting him in the second round. They saw something at the time. And then, ultimately, they made no effort to keep him, even when he signed for peanuts in Kansas City. That doesn't show me that they feel they have a need for a "WR/TE" like you mentioned, because if that's what they wanted, they'd have kept Escobar.

Also, all of these guys played with a young Witten. Jason Witten is not what he was at all. TE is not a position of strength with this team anymore and a TE helps SEVERAL aspects of this offense.

Given the extension, the team obviously feels differently. They've got both Swaim and Gathers in the pipeline as well. And there's no reason to give up on either of them at this point.

So Witten's staying, Swaim is staying, and Gathers is staying. Who knows about Hanna's future at this point? How much more do you invest at the TE position?

dstew60105

Reaction score
i

Dallas Cowboys

Round 1 (28): Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee
Round 2 (60): Fabian Moreau, CB, UCLA
Round 3 (92): Gerald Everett, TE, South Alabama

I expect the Cowboys to draft defense on Day 1, and defensive back is in play after Brandon Carr, Morris Claiborne and J.J. Wilcox departed in free agency. If Barnett is available at 28, though, Dallas has a chance to grab a pass-rusher who could put up double-digit sacks annually. Former second-round picks DeMarcus Lawrence and Randy Gregory combined for only two sacks last season, and Gregory is suspended for at least the 2017 season. Barnett was one of the most productive defenders in college football throughout his career (33 total sacks). Moreau tore a pectoral muscle at his pro day, but his workouts and 4.35 40 at the combine impressed scouts, so he won't drop far. Dallas could get starters with its first two picks. This tight end class is deep, and the Cowboys could bet on Everett as an eventual replacement for Jason Witten, though they have tried that in the past, including using second-round picks on Martellus Bennett and Gavin Escobar. Everett (6-foot-3, 239 pounds) is more of a pass-catcher than blocker.

I'd take that in a heart beat.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
This team kept that player on the roster for four years. After drafting him in the second round. They saw something at the time. And then, ultimately, they made no effort to keep him, even when he signed for peanuts in Kansas City. That doesn't show me that they feel they have a need for a "WR/TE" like you mentioned, because if that's what they wanted, they'd have kept Escobar.

Given the extension, the team obviously feels differently. They've got both Swaim and Gathers in the pipeline as well. And there's no reason to give up on either of them at this point.

So Witten's staying, Swaim is staying, and Gathers is staying. Who knows about Hanna's future at this point? How much more do you invest at the TE position?

They let Escobar go because he was a bust.

They need quality. Escobar is just a guy.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They let Escobar go because he was a bust.

They need quality. Escobar is just a guy.

They didn't bring in anyone else either.

I think that they realize that Witten is their guy until he isn't. And it's a waste to invest any sort of premium pick for a guy who will be nothing but second fiddle until Witten is gone.

Fool me once, shame on you. (Fasano)

Fool me twice, shame on me (Bennett)

Fool me three times? (Escobar) What a bunch of morons!
Fool me four times? I don't have the words. :facepalm:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
They didn't bring in anyone else either.

I think that they realize that Witten is their guy until he isn't. And it's a waste to invest any sort of premium pick for a guy who will be nothing but second fiddle until Witten is gone.

Fool me once, shame on you. (Fasano)

Fool me twice, shame on me (Bennett)

Fool me three times? (Escobar) What a bunch of morons!
Fool me four times? I don't have the words. :facepalm:

Young Witten with the other guys and we hardly ever ran the ball with Romo. Fasano was ok and Bennett is one of the better TE's in the league and wanted to get out of here..

Wittens age is currently a factor and his diminishing blocking skills are a factor.

Escobar is just not good.

A dynamic TE helps out Dak, Zeke, our Offensive Tackles, the WR's, and even Witten.

They didn't bring anyone else in argument makes no sense at all.

Tristan

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd even rather go WR in the 3rd instead of Everett. Maybe one of the LSU WRs.
I agree, should be a great soot to get some good value, id love to see a a guy like Dupree, Westbrook, Darboh etc. in the 3rd

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Young Witten with the other guys and we hardly ever ran the ball with Romo. Fasano was ok and Bennett is one of the better TE's in the league and wanted to get out of here..

Wittens age is currently a factor and his diminishing blocking skills are a factor.

Escobar is just not good.

A dynamic TE helps out Dak, Zeke, our Offensive Tackles, the WR's, and even Witten.

There's are much bigger "fish to fry" than a TE who will play a fraction of the time. Witten isn't going anywhere this year and our offense barely uses two TE's.

From a roster perspective, who goes?

Witten, Swaim, Gathers, Hanna? Are you definitely keeping four? How much will the rookie even play among this group?

Now how much sense does it make to use any of your picks in the top 3 rounds on the guy?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It's a home run if we get Barnett.I would hold off on the Te till the later rds.

Unless O.J. Howard mysteriously dropped to our pick in the third round, I'd agree. Heck, I'd even take a flyer on Sidney Jones if he were still there. I would, however, like to add another pass rusher, another corner or a safety with that third pick.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
This would be a fantastic signing, added to the two aforementioned (Barnett and Moreau/or D prospect), Irv. Think he'll still be around that long?
It's possible....most likely not but with his concerns guys we thought would go first round dropped to 3rd-7th round some undrafted.

Byron, Frazier (Heath or draft), Moreau, Brown and Tabor would be a great secondary to work with. Add to the front 7 and we have a defense gentlemen

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I agree, half the second round picks in these mocks seem like pipe dreams. Then again its so darn deep that no matter how you mock it someone suprising drops
That's the thing first round guys will be taken in 2-4 rounds

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Not sure about TE.

Like to see Rico Gathers play some first.

If they feel they need a quality second TE to have this offense function, I don't care what taking another TE would do to stunt the growth of Gathers.

All I know is the offense needed Swaim after he got hurt and unless Gathers suddenly got better by some miracle in the offseason, he is not the solution.

As for Kiper's draft, I am okay with a TE, but I don't think Everett is the kind that we need.