• Yes

Votes: 131 70.4%
  • No

Votes: 55 29.6%

• Total voters

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
He does not get the calls because of the rip move exception.

From the NFL rule book:

(1) When a defensive player is held by an offensive player during the following situations, offensive holding will not be called:

(i) if, during a defensive charge, a defensive player uses a “rip” technique that puts an offensive player in a position that would normally be holding.

Exception: Holding will be called if the defender’s feet are taken away from him by the offensive player’s action

Cameron Wake had the same problem as well because he was a heavy rip move user like Micah. If he wants to get the calls he needs to add some more tricks into his bag which sounds ridiculous because he is already so good, but he can get even better with a more diverse approach to getting to the QB.

Here is a demo of the rip move and you can see how it would put an offensive lineman in a compromising situation:

I did not know this rule. Thanks for the schoolin'.

Seems like a lot of guys are taking full advantage of that loophole.

Proof

Reaction score
Refs are graded every game. When teams start fining and suspending players for missing tackles or blocks, then we can talk about refs for missing calls.

this is a pretty strange stance.

players already have ramifications each time they have poor play.

the ref grading system just determines who gets to work in the post season

we also excessively talk about the players

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Reminds me when I played basketball and would complain about a non-call on me and my coach would be right there, on my butt.
"Hey! I yell at the refs! You play the damn calls I give you!"
When I was 22 I managed to actually touch the rim I could not jump worth squat But I liked playing

Soth

Reaction score

He is not using a rip move every rush. He gets held a lot and they don't call it regardless of whether he uses the rip move or not.

NFL refs are bunch of clowns. I am glad he called them out.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Seems Micah went to the CowboysZone school of thinking something is a hold when it isn't. First off, you can't tell holding by using a still picture. It is a penalty called due to a motion, hence video would be necessary to determine. Second, maybe Micah doesn't know of of the several exceptions to holding being called when the defender uses a rip technique, which Micah used a ton of yesterday and appears to have done in that still shot which leaves the OL's arm across the top of his body because Micah dipped his arm underneath and fiercely lifted it upwards (rip technique). Officials will give the benefit of the doubt to the OL in that case because it's in the rulebook and all.

RULE 12
SECTION 1 BLOCKING, USE OF HANDS AND ARMS
ARTICLE 3. ILLEGAL BLOCK BY OFFENSIVE PLAYER

Blocking Notes:
(1) When a defensive player is held by an offensive player during the following situations, Offensive Holding will not be
called:

(a) if the runner is being tackled simultaneously by any defensive player;
(b) if the runner simultaneously goes out of bounds;
(c) if a Fair Catch is made simultaneously;
(d) if the action clearly occurs after a forward pass has been thrown to a receiver beyond the line of scrimmage;
(e) if the action occurs away from the point of attack and not within close-line play;
(f) if a free kick results in a touchback;
(g) if a scrimmage kick simultaneously becomes a touchback;
(h) if the action is part of a double-team block, unless the defender splits the double team, gets to the outside of either
blocker, or is taken to the ground; or

(i) if, during a defensive charge, a defensive player uses a “rip” technique that puts an offensive player in a position
that would normally be holding.

MarcusRock

Reaction score

From the NFL rule book:

(1) When a defensive player is held by an offensive player during the following situations, offensive holding will not be called:

(i) if, during a defensive charge, a defensive player uses a “rip” technique that puts an offensive player in a position that would normally be holding.

Exception: Holding will be called if the defender’s feet are taken away from him by the offensive player’s action

Cameron Wake had the same problem as well because he was a heavy rip move user like Micah. If he wants to get the calls he needs to add some more tricks into his bag which sounds ridiculous because he is already so good, but he can get even better with a more diverse approach to getting to the QB.

Here is a demo of the rip move and you can see how it would put an offensive lineman in a compromising situation:

One other person in the whole thread actually went looking into the rulebook. Well done. Maybe they'll hear us half percenters one day.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I just rewatched the game. Parsons was flagrantly held 7 times. SEVEN. His opposing OLineman was called once. There lies the potential for at least 3 more sacks. Yes, he has a case.

LOL.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
One other person in the whole thread actually went looking into the rulebook. Well done. Maybe they'll hear us half percenters one day.

This forum is driving me crazy lately haha. Even after I posted it everyone keeps ranting about conspiracy theories. You can lead a horse to water, but can't make it drink.

Parsons uses a speed rip about 70% of the time coming off the edge. For this reason it is ok for linemen to be draped all over him. Point blank he needs to find some new moves.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Interesting. I didn't know this, explains many of the obvious no calls. But it still leaves it up to the ref to decide if he sees the rip move or not

When you are on the edge, even those in the rafters can see a rip move being executed. It's easy to see even if you didn't see it start. Just in the picture in the Tweet you can tell Parsons used one by the OL's arm position across his body because that's the result of a rip move. Glad more and more are discovering this exception because almost no one knows about it before they go yelping that holding is happening when they don't even know what they're looking at.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
This forum is driving me crazy lately haha. Even after I posted it everyone keeps ranting about conspiracy theories. You can lead a horse to water, but can't make it drink.

Parsons uses a speed rip about 70% of the time coming off the edge. For this reason it is ok for linemen to be draped all over him. Point blank he needs to find some new moves.

Hey, once people are dialed in it's like a freight train you can't stop. This is why I like quoting the rules or post video to see just how much a person will contort themselves to keep from admitting they were wrong. People will literally make crap up on the spot.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Seems Micah went to the CowboysZone school of thinking something is a hold when it isn't. First off, you can't tell holding by using a still picture. It is a penalty called due to a motion, hence video would be necessary to determine. Second, maybe Micah doesn't know of of the several exceptions to holding being called when the defender uses a rip technique, which Micah used a ton of yesterday and appears to have done in that still shot which leaves the OL's arm across the top of his body because Micah dipped his arm underneath and fiercely lifted it upwards (rip technique). Officials will give the benefit of the doubt to the OL in that case because it's in the rulebook and all.

RULE 12
SECTION 1 BLOCKING, USE OF HANDS AND ARMS
ARTICLE 3. ILLEGAL BLOCK BY OFFENSIVE PLAYER

Blocking Notes:
(1) When a defensive player is held by an offensive player during the following situations, Offensive Holding will not be
called:

(a) if the runner is being tackled simultaneously by any defensive player;
(b) if the runner simultaneously goes out of bounds;
(c) if a Fair Catch is made simultaneously;
(d) if the action clearly occurs after a forward pass has been thrown to a receiver beyond the line of scrimmage;
(e) if the action occurs away from the point of attack and not within close-line play;
(f) if a free kick results in a touchback;
(g) if a scrimmage kick simultaneously becomes a touchback;
(h) if the action is part of a double-team block, unless the defender splits the double team, gets to the outside of either
blocker, or is taken to the ground; or

(i) if, during a defensive charge, a defensive player uses a “rip” technique that puts an offensive player in a position
that would normally be holding.

:facepalm::thumbdown:

Last edited:

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
When I picture holding, it usually involve a tug on the jersey. It might help if we establish specific parameters for holding.
How is having your arm wrapped around the defender’s neck/upper chest not holding? The Packers did the very same thing on the pass play that lead to their winning play in the 2016 playoff game, except it was more egregious since the Olinemen was pretty much behind the defender and had his wrapped around our player’s neck. It wasn’t called then either. It’s clearly a hold.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
How is having your arm wrapped around the defender’s neck/upper chest not holding? The Packers did the very same thing on the pass play that lead to their winning play in the 2016 playoff game, except it was more egregious since the Olinemen was pretty much behind the defender and had his wrapped around our player’s neck. It wasn’t called then either. It’s clearly a hold.

Read the posts made earlier referencing the rip move exception in the rulebook.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
They always say that the refs give favorable treatment to the best players. That never seems to be the case if you play for a Dallas team.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
He is such a leader and awesome player, I'd say no, don't call out the refs. Do your communication on the field
I agree, don't call out the refs, let others do it for you.
If he personally starts calling out refs, it'll get worse.