BREAKING NEWS Micah Parsons out for multiple weeks with high ankle sprain

Blitzen

Reaction score
If you can find a trade partner willing to part with a decent player or two for a 5th rounder or later, you take it. Mazi showed up big last night, but Osa is invisible and the two vets they brought in haven't been very good. At end, we're looking at Lawson and Kneeland, and not much behind them.

It's a clear need. Has been since last year. I wouldn't mortgage the future and send premium assets unless there's a great young player on his rookie contract, but something needs to be done. The current FA pool isn't going to cut it if they do plan on winning this season. Laugh if you want, but your suggestion is a losing proposition.

A good GM allows the team to prove their worth. Or unworthiness. The team could use several upgrades considering what we saw in the two matchups against their better opponents. That’s the point of waiting to see how the team evolves or devolves. They have only played 4 games and have too many questions to try to answer with trades.

kumizi

Reaction score
I’m not worried about this. Squeeze out one win get to the bye 3-4. They will be well rested, bland will back. More time to learn zims scheme. See what happens. Maybe Micah won’t be wore down at the end of the season
It's time to worry my friend.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
A good GM allows the team to prove their worth. Or unworthiness. The team could use several upgrades considering what we saw in the two matchups against their better opponents. That’s the point of waiting to see how the team evolves or devolves. They have only played 4 games and have too many questions to try to answer with trades.
The question in question is in fact not a question. The defensive line is a known problem. A good GM would have addressed it through free agency or the draft. We dont have a good GM. Defensive line was a known problem last season, and it was a known problem before the opening kickoff against the Browns. If this team has any playoff aspirations, they need to address it before the toughest part of the schedule, which starts in 9 days.

I get what you're saying, but if they wait around hoping somebody turns into Warren Sapp or Aaron Donald (mild sarcasm), it's realistic to say that they could easily be out of the playoff race before the trade deadline. If you trade for an up and comer, you aren't throwing draft picks away. There's a need to replace Osa, preferably before next year's draft. I'm not convinced Joseph or Philips will finish the season here. Lawrence is getting old, may not be around next season. As far as I can tell, there are three healthy defensive ends on this roster. That's a problem that needs attention.

Clearly they would need to target somebody that's going to be around for 2 or 3 years, whether its a guy on his rookie contract, or somebody like Cooks who has a couple of years left on his deal. If no such players are available, roll with what's already on the team until you can't anymore, or you're eliminated from the playoffs. If you bring in a strong DT/DE tweener, or one of each, and an NFL average running back, you could easily change the dynamic of the team. Wouldn't be overly pricey, and mat give the team a chance to compete late in the season.

Reactions: CWR

Blitzen

Reaction score
The question in question is in fact not a question. The defensive line is a known problem. A good GM would have addressed it through free agency or the draft. We dont have a good GM. Defensive line was a known problem last season, and it was a known problem before the opening kickoff against the Browns. If this team has any playoff aspirations, they need to address it before the toughest part of the schedule, which starts in 9 days.

I get what you're saying, but if they wait around hoping somebody turns into Warren Sapp or Aaron Donald (mild sarcasm), it's realistic to say that they could easily be out of the playoff race before the trade deadline. If you trade for an up and comer, you aren't throwing draft picks away. There's a need to replace Osa, preferably before next year's draft. I'm not convinced Joseph or Philips will finish the season here. Lawrence is getting old, may not be around next season. As far as I can tell, there are three healthy defensive ends on this roster. That's a problem that needs attention.

Clearly they would need to target somebody that's going to be around for 2 or 3 years, whether its a guy on his rookie contract, or somebody like Cooks who has a couple of years left on his deal. If no such players are available, roll with what's already on the team until you can't anymore, or you're eliminated from the playoffs. If you bring in a strong DT/DE tweener, or one of each, and an NFL average running back, you could easily change the dynamic of the team. Wouldn't be overly pricey, and mat give the team a chance to compete late in the season.

I have no idea of any player that fits your category and what the asking price would be. It seems like you feel there are definitely some names that would be dramatic upgrades with years of control and would not cost premium picks. Who did you have in mind?

KMY_Amber

Reaction score
A very bad defense lost two of its best players. Bye bye season
Oh, the season was toast before they got injured, otherwise you were delusional. :cool: The defense wasn't dominant with them, so I'm OK trying out some other folks, to see if they can hold the edge on some of these running plays.

Yes, less pass rush, but the run defense may be better. It may be a trade worth making. We'll see.

starz88

Reaction score
Ugh the hits keep coming to the high school defense, maybe the JV level talent backing them up will do better not!! Maybe the 60 million dollar clown can score more than 20 points to help out, unlikely

FVSTONE

Reaction score

Probably best case scenario when you get rolled up like that.

I believe the D-Line played better once both Parsons and D-Law were sidelined. Can these dudes do for a complete game, we're going to find out. One more thing Defense, don't look for the offense to help you out, they have their own problems..........LOL!

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I have no idea of any player that fits your category and what the asking price would be. It seems like you feel there are definitely some names that would be dramatic upgrades with years of control and would not cost premium picks. Who did you have in mind?
Unfortunately I'm not an NFL GM yet, and don't have a direct line to other NFL GMs to find out who's asking what for who. Maybe one of these days. I'd start with Patrick Jones Jr. and Janarius Robinson at EDGE. They're in contract years, but were part of Zimmer's last draft class in Minnesota, and have managed to make names for themselves. From there, I'd branch off and look into prospects Zimmer and/or McClay had their eyes on over the last two or three seasons that either havent panned out, or are buried on a depth chart. Figure out who underperformed and maybe needs a change of scenery. Determine who fits this system the best and move forward from there.

Which teams have made significant changes at DC in the last 2 or 3 seasons and have linemen that don't fit their systems? Which veterans signed multi-year contracts and haven't performed for whatever reason? Maybe Washington has somebody? You aren't going to pull a starter from somebody for cheap, but you may be able to find a guy that can fill a role here, that's unable to do so in their current system. I don't have all of the answers, but the answers shouldn't be hard to find for a decent personnel team and a seasoned coaching staff.

Blitzen

Reaction score
Unfortunately I'm not an NFL GM yet, and don't have a direct line to other NFL GMs to find out who's asking what for who. Maybe one of these days. I'd start with Patrick Jones Jr. and Janarius Robinson at EDGE. They're in contract years, but were part of Zimmer's last draft class in Minnesota, and have managed to make names for themselves. From there, I'd branch off and look into prospects Zimmer and/or McClay had their eyes on over the last two or three seasons that either havent panned out, or are buried on a depth chart. Figure out who underperformed and maybe needs a change of scenery. Determine who fits this system the best and move forward from there.

Which teams have made significant changes at DC in the last 2 or 3 seasons and have linemen that don't fit their systems? Which veterans signed multi-year contracts and haven't performed for whatever reason? Maybe Washington has somebody? You aren't going to pull a starter from somebody for cheap, but you may be able to find a guy that can fill a role here, that's unable to do so in their current system. I don't have all of the answers, but the answers shouldn't be hard to find for a decent personnel team and a seasoned coaching staff.

Patrick has 4 sacks in 3 games and Minnesota is 3-0 so that is not a realistic option. Maybe Janarius for a conditional seventh rounder based on playing time, but they have already suffered DE injuries and Maxx isn’t playing Sunday.

It’s early in the season and making any significant trade is really unlikely because teams will still be trying to figure out what they are going to be this season. We will see how things evolve.

Big D

Reaction score
The two players bickering at each other about hero ball are out. It gives Zimmer a great opportunity to put his scheme to work without all of the extras.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Patrick has 4 sacks in 3 games and Minnesota is 3-0 so that is not a realistic option. Maybe Janarius for a conditional seventh rounder based on playing time, but they have already suffered DE injuries and Maxx isn’t playing Sunday.

It’s early in the season and making any significant trade is really unlikely because teams will still be trying to figure out what they are going to be this season. We will see how things evolve.
I wouldn't imagine Pat Jr would be available, and Robinson is iffy, but they're good starting points. None of us know what's going on behind the scenes. Chemistry comes into play as much as individual production. I don't think it's too early. If a guy has been in a system for a couple of years, I'd imagine a coaching staff would have a pretty good idea of how a player fits in. Fact of the matter is we have a problem that can be corrected, or at least mitigated. If we wait too long, and the next several games are brutal, it won't matter if a move is made or not. Do we wait until we're 2-5? 3-6? Too risky and unnecessary.

CWR

Reaction score
I believe the D-Line played better once both Parsons and D-Law were sidelined. Can these dudes do for a complete game, we're going to find out. One more thing Defense, don't look for the offense to help you out, they have their own problems..........LOL!
Our run game actually looked nice with Martin on the sideline also. Yeah the million dollar question is can they sustain.