Micah Parsons

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Honestly, I think a real staff would make sure he didn't have to be. He should have one job in the NFL: fly to the ball.

That position doesn’t exist.

All linebackers have responsibilities.

The only position that comes close to that is an edge rusher. If Jaylon is being used as a 3-down linebacker he’s going to have to cover the pass, make reads, fill gaps, take on blockers, et cetera.

conner01

Reaction score
But I was told last year that 17 was too high for an "off the ball LB."

Was also told that safeties dont matter.

Long way to go but Sewell has gotta be someone Jerry would consider...lack of jersey sales notwithstanding
Anyone should consider Sewell but I doubt he’s there
I would love him though
I think Sewell is the best player in the draft including Lawrence

conner01

Reaction score

The only position that comes close to that is an edge rusher. If Jaylon is being used as a 3-down linebacker he’s going to have to cover the pass, make reads, fill gaps, take on blockers, et cetera.
There was a time guys could be good and onedementional but today teams pass more, pass on early downs
Those days are long gone
Players at most positions on defense have to do it all, especially at LB

HungryLion

Reaction score
There was a time guys could be good and onedementional but today teams pass more, pass on early downs
Those days are long gone
Players at most positions on defense have to do it all, especially at LB

Yep. Plus, offenses are smart. If a Linebacker has weaknesses. The offense is going to exploit it and attack those weaknesses over and over again.

like Jaylon and misdirection. Sean Mcvay showed the league that he can’t handle misdirection without looking like a chicken with no head. Offenses have been taking advantage since then.

HungryLion

Reaction score
It could be an assumption given the fact he’s relatively new to the position, but I haven’t witnessed anything that gave me pause.

The lack of time
At the position is a fair question to ask when scouting him. For sure.

but like you say. I didn’t see anything that made me think like he struggled in that department. I think his ability to read and react to plays was actually very good, especially considering his youth at the position. Theoretically, given his short time playing LB. there is room
For even more growth in that regard.

texbumthelife

Reaction score

I guess what I meant is you don't want this kid diagnosing as little as possible. Give him as concrete of assignments on any given play as possible. You don't want to inhibit his natural gifts by making him stop and thinking constantly.

visionary

Reaction score
The lack of time
At the position is a fair question to ask when scouting him. For sure.

but like you say. I didn’t see anything that made me think like he struggled in that department. I think his ability to read and react to plays was actually very good, especially considering his youth at the position. Theoretically, given his short time playing LB. there is room
For even more growth in that regard.

When you’re taking a LB (not a premium position) in the top 5, he better be all World. The answer should be “his instincts are off the charts”

I don’t see that about him from any analyst . I would try my best to trade down unless my scouts are truly sold on him being elite

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
This top 10 sucks for defenders. We're just gonna have to take what we can get if we don't find a trade partner.

Maybe Parsons isn't the ideal top 5 defender but there isn't an ideal top 5 defender. The 2020 board is the 2020 board.

We aren't getting worse by adding Parsons. We aren't.

If you're sitting at 4 and you tell me you can't trade so you picked Parsons because you just like him more as a prospect for this team, then im cool with it.

But if you tell me you picked Surtain just because "CB is the premium position" but you actually felt like Parsons was a better prospect, now I'm concerned.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
This top 10 sucks for defenders. We're just gonna have to take what we can get if we don't find a trade partner.

Maybe Parsons isn't the ideal top 5 defender but there isn't an ideal top 5 defender. The 2020 board is the 2020 board.

If you're sitting at 4 and you tell me you can't trade so you picked Parsons because you just like him more as a prospect for this team, then im cool with it.

But if you tell me you picked Surtain just because "CB is the premium position" but you actually felt like Parsons was a better prospect, now I'm concerned.
Well said. McCarthy said get me good players and I’ll fit the scheme around them. Let’s see what happens. Last year draft they did that w lamb

cnuball21

Reaction score

Unfortunately there isn’t a Bosa or Young type prospect this year...so you have to have perspective on what’s available.

A lot of it analysts / sites agree that Parsons is the best defender in this draft. I think he’s several slots ahead of guys like Surtain/Farley so I’d have zero hesitations taking an off ball LBr in the top 5 if we feel good about him. He can do everything and is best LBr prospect I can remember in several years.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Unfortunately there isn’t a Bosa or Young type prospect this year...so you have to have perspective on what’s available.

A lot of it analysts / sites agree that Parsons is the best defender in this draft. I think he’s several slots ahead of guys like Surtain/Farley so I’d have zero hesitations taking an off ball LBr in the top 5 if we feel good about him. He can do everything and is best LBr prospect I can remember in several years.

Agreed. I would love for there to be a Fletcher Cox or Aaron Donald or Bosa or Watt brother available in this draft.

There just isn’t though.

Depending how the board falls...... if you don’t go QB.

You do need to take best player available or trade down.

Best player available may very well be Parsons.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Agreed. I would love for there to be a Fletcher Cox or Aaron Donald or Bosa or Watt brother available in this draft.

There just isn’t though.

Best player will likely be Jamarr Chase...but that's a whole nother' discussion.

stilltheguru

Reaction score

There just isn’t though.

Watt brother? Tj had 1 year of production same as Rousseau. Just sayin

HungryLion

Reaction score
Watt brother? Tj had 1 year of production same as Rousseau. Just sayin

Yeh I know. But What you project to be....

Let’s be real. If teams thought TJ Watt would be as good as he is. He goes top 5

Fletcher Cox and Donald went outside the top 10..... but you get the point.

I’m not hearing many talk about Rousseau ad projecting as an elite top 5 pick. But who knows. Lots of time between now and the draft.

DasSchnitzel

Reaction score
But Watt actually showed natural pass rushing ability winning the edge with a variety of rush moves.

Rousseau’s tool box is very limited and he’s a tweener that’s likely best suited inside. His sack total are very inflated.

Watching Rousseau change direction and move in space is honestly comical at times.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Watching Rousseau change direction and move in space is honestly comical at times.

His scouting report reads +athlete, and he might be for someone his size but he does he does not look natural trying to win the edge at all. You never see him explode off the ball and bend the corner on an OT like you do for a natural 1st round pass rusher.