Video: Michael Gallup film study

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
The comparison Brugler gave was Pierre Garcon.

I see a good route runner who gaines separation despite having good but not great speed and makes plays through contact.

He doesn’t remind me of Dez at all even though both are hard-nosed receivers. Dez during his prime was a straight up bully with glue for hands, while Gallup appears to just be tough enough but much more refined as a route runner and tactician.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
no...its that we have receivers except for Beasley THAT were lazy and didn't learn the route tree. Now our wr corp is remade and has unselfish hardworking guys who want to be better. I expect good things as the season goes on.
And an actual WR coach, not that drooling sack of weak-willed flesh we had.

Rayman70

Reaction score
And an actual WR coach, not that drooling sack of weak-willed flesh we had.
exactly. Dooley was an enabler. He didn't hold Dez accountable on his routes..and it affected the entire corp. Sanjay Lal will get these youngsters going,big time.Beasley will be even better. TWILL...I don't think will be around much longer honestly.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
In 2019 I think TWILL will be a thing of the past,and our starting guys will be Hurns,Gallup and Beasley...with Wilson getting more and more Playing time.
I think they trade him at some point, but yeah they probably keep him this season for his experience. Unless Gallup just flat out takes over and makes his experience a non issue.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think they trade him at some point, but yeah they probably keep him this season for his experience. Unless Gallup just flat out takes over and makes his experience a non issue.
It could happen. TWILL has to nut up now. If he's ever gonna compete,its now.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The comparison Brugler gave was Pierre Garcon.

I see a good route runner who gaines separation despite having good but not great speed and makes plays through contact.

He doesn’t remind me of Dez at all even though both are hard-nosed receivers. Dez during his prime was a straight up bully with glue for hands, while Gallup appears to just be tough enough but much more refined as a route runner and tactician.

I see Garçon more than Dez, but even that’s not perfect. I’d love it though if he could be the player Garçon is. Love that guy.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Being a non homer..
He seems to struggle with getting separation. He seems tough after the catch and does a decent job on 50/50 balls.
I don't think he is as strong as Dez or as good at the 50/50 balls as Dez was.
I'm not yet sold on him as our starter. He seems to have trouble with CB's who jam him at the line. He isnt elusive enough to make them pay for press coverage.

Overall he seems like a guy who will make some plays. Just not sure he is better than T Will yet.....and im not a T Will fan at all.

SEPERATION!

Screw The Hall

Reaction score
I see Garçon more than Dez, but even that’s not perfect. I’d love it though if he could be the player Garçon is. Love that guy.

Yeah, I’d feel like the cat that swallowed the canary if Gallup turned into a young Garcon. And I agree it’s not a perfect comparison.

gmoney112

Reaction score
We didnt draft any other WR's that played Alabama last year.
Deon Cain lit them up but we didnt draft him so it doesnt matter.

NFL defensive backs are better at man coverage than Alabama's CBs so he better figure out how to beat it because teams will load up and press the crap out of us daring us to beat them with anyone but Zeke.

Gallup played Alabama last year. I watched him in that game. 5 for 81 and a 16 yard average. Alabama rolled coverage to him a lot because CSU was terrible. He showed skills.

Anyway, I dont see Dez resemblance at all. Maybe after the catch. Gallup is already a better route runner. Hes also better technically, like arm swiping after contact and selling routes.

Beating the jam is something every WR coming into the league has to get better at but it's a strong part of Gallups game. Hes learned to get them to try and jam, and then hitting them with the appropriate arm to get their shoulders facing in/out depending on leverage and route. You can see it in game quite a bit. He often uses a faux step in opposite direction which uses the DBs balance against them.

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score
Unbelievable technique with his hand release there.
Unbelievable technique with his hand release there.
Agreed. Kiper said this guy was one of his favorite WRs coming out. I honesty don’t need his opinion to sway mine, but Gallup could end up being a monster!

So the whole, “He doesn’t get seperation.” stance is hillarious considering his resume and ceiling moving forward.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Note, I am not saying Gallup can't become a really good WR in this league. I liked the pick when we made it.

But I think those pimping Gallup tend to be Dez bashers and their mindset is to assume that anyone can fill Bryant's shoes. I think people undervalue just how good and dominant Bryant was at times and while he had slipped the last few years, assuming a kid taken in the 3rd round can be our new Dez Bryant is a stretch at this point until we see something from the kid.
I think he is Allen Hurns 2015 Versions. Which went for 60-1000-10.

NotForLong

Reaction score
He was a 3rd round pick for a reason. Sorry it hurts your feelings to accept that he has flaws in his game that made him a 3rd round pick.

But is it valid reason. Which Flaws do you speak of. Maybe his QB . There are none. Just because he was drafted in 3rd doesn't mean he has flaws.

There was a reason Jordan Lewis was drafted in 3rd. But for the life of me I don't know why.

DBOY3141

Reaction score
But is it valid reason. Which Flaws do you speak of. Maybe his QB . There are none. Just because he was drafted in 3rd doesn't mean he has flaws.

There was a reason Jordan Lewis was drafted in 3rd. But for the life of me I don't know why.
DV issue. If not for that, he's a for sure 2nd rounder. Didn't see anything prior to the draft that had him in the 1st.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Remember Dez was not that sharp coming from college; give this young man time to learn, practice, and develop.

Billyd

Reaction score
Not sure I see much of a difference between him and Ridley

Touchdowns over the last two seasons? However if you allow for ALABAMA vs Colorado state, maybe that is about even..That and Ridley runs a 4:43 40, and Gallup a 4.51 40..Ridley allegedly a better route runner and probably had to be..Im Pleased with Gallup, St John and Gallup were my targets before draft anyway.. The other Wr has something as well..Nothing to do but see what they bring in camp..

Im not sure how TWill disappeared last year, but he seems to find new ways yearly..

One more thought on Ridley..See KD Cannon..He reminds me of a less precise Ridley..Lol..