Michael Irvin: I would consider bringing in Manziel

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Doesn't play to his strengths although I'd pick the phone up and call him about a WR.

Agreed. I imagine his judgment concerning WRs would be infinitely wiser than what he's demonstrated lately regarding QBs. -- lol

khiladi

Reaction score
Since we are a pocket passing offense, are we still going to blame Tony Romo for trying to be like Brady and stay in the pocket to absolve Garrett for not utilizing Tony's ability to move?

khiladi

Reaction score
This team play excessively conservative outside of Romo.. Manziel is exactly opposite of what they want in a back-up QB...

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
If you take the time to read Irvin's comments, he is not unreasonable in what he is saying.

Gronkowski blows up the dance floor, it's cute. Manziel does it, he is raping and pillaging.

What he does not seem to get is that you do not do that when you are a celebrity QB.

Gronk has been highly successful at his position and hasn't been to rehab.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
  1. Since we are a pocket passing offense, are we still going to blame Tony Romo for trying to be like Brady and stay in the pocket to absolve Garrett for not utilizing Tony's ability to move?

Romo is elusive but he's not a threat to run. He does throw on the run well. Tony doesn't run well enough to incorporate anything into the offense. Tony has ample opportunity to be Tony.

windjc

Reaction score
Not to stand up for Manziel here, but this part I disagree with.

How has he been eluding the rush and gaining rushing yards in the NFL? How is his QBR when throwing outside the pocket?

Yeah. Thought so.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
QBs have to be leaders, and intelligent, he is neither. The only thing bringing him will do is waste a roster spot.

Good call -- they also need to be disciplined, which is a trait that has eluded Manziel completely. Coming to practice drunk doesn't offer any encouragement for admiration.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
We know what he's done on the field so far in his short career. Average.

Why don't you look at his last four or five games. That's the real indicator. If you actually watched the games, you would see how well he is playing. The way he goes through his progressions, the accuracy of his throws, how moves around in the pocket. His ability to move the team in spite of being under constant pressure. The guy has been nothing short of impressive on the field in the last four or five games he played. Which brings me to my next point...

Irvin makes a great point, it seems like everyone is trying to bring this guy down for some reason. One thing I get sick of is how the media plants an idea then average Joe reiterates the same sentiment over and over from person to person and everyone believes it. It's kind of how everyone called Romo a choker for years and years even though he had the highest QB Rating of any passer in the fourth quarter, and had lead multiple come from behind victories. Just because one person says something, doesn't mean everyone should automatically believe it without checking out for themselves.

Anyone who actually watched Manziel play from the Pittsburgh game through the KC (and I did because most of my family are Browns fans) at the end of this season, and are honest with themselves, have to admit that he is going to be special, as long as he straightens up off the field.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
How has he been eluding the rush and gaining rushing yards in the NFL? How is his QBR when throwing outside the pocket?

Yeah. Thought so.

He rushed for 230 yards on 37 carries in only 9 games.. 6.2 yards per carry average. That's the 2nd best in the entire league, behind only Marcus Mariota. Facts. I watched him play personally and he made plenty of plays with his legs.

Yea. Thought so.

Swelly

Reaction score
Yea Manziel, if nothing else, is a good improviser. He made a lot of plays w/ his legs this season. Mostly because his OLine was not very good.

Sydla

Reaction score
There's nothing better/funnier in sports than the fans who overrated mediocre players.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score
Why don't you look at his last four or five games. That's the real indicator. If you actually watched the games, you would see how well he is playing.

vs Bengals 15-33, 168 yds, 1 td, 71.8 qbr
vs Steelers 33-45, 372 yds, 1 td, 1 int, 40.5 qbr
vs 49ers 21-31, 270 yds, 1 td, 1 int, 68.1 qbr
vs Seahawks 19-32, 161, 1 td, 1 int 65.9 qbr
vs Chiefs 13-32, 136 yds, 1 int 35.3 qbr

And your point is? In those 5 games, he was 101-173. A 58% completion rate. With 4 td, and 4 int. His HIGHEST QB rating in those 5 games was 71.8. That's your idea of playing well? My standard for well is better than 58%.

Last edited:

coogrfan

Reaction score
Why don't you look at his last four or five games. That's the real indicator. If you actually watched the games, you would see how well he is playing. The way he goes through his progressions, the accuracy of his throws, how moves around in the pocket. His ability to move the team in spite of being under constant pressure. The guy has been nothing short of impressive on the field in the last four or five games he played. Which brings me to my next point...

Irvin makes a great point, it seems like everyone is trying to bring this guy down for some reason. One thing I get sick of is how the media plants an idea then average Joe reiterates the same sentiment over and over from person to person and everyone believes it. It's kind of how everyone called Romo a choker for years and years even though he had the highest QB Rating of any passer in the fourth quarter, and had lead multiple come from behind victories. Just because one person says something, doesn't mean everyone should automatically believe it without checking out for themselves.

Anyone who actually watched Manziel play from the Pittsburgh game through the KC (and I did because most of my family are Browns fans) at the end of this season, and are honest with themselves, have to admit that he is going to be special, as long as he straightens up off the field.

Manziel's last 5 games:
  • @ Cincy: 15 of 33 168 yds 1 td 0 int's
  • @ Pitt: 33 of 45 372 yds 1 td 1 int
  • SF: 21 of 31 270 yds 1 td 1 int
  • @ Sea: 19 of 32 161 yds 1 td 1 int
  • @ KC 13 of 32 136 yds 0 td 1 int
Cumulative stats in that 5 game stretch: 101 of 173 (58%), 1107 yds (221.4/gm) 4 tds 4 ints.

According to an NFL QB Rating calculator I found here, http://www.primecomputing.com/ , that translates into a QB rating over that 5 game stretch of 75.47. Not bad, but not particularly good either, and certainly not anywhere near good enough to make one overlook JFB's propensity for knuckleheadness.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score
vs Bengals 15-33, 168 yds, 1 td, 71.8 qbr
vs Steelers 33-45, 372 yds, 1 td, 1 int, 40.5 qbr
vs 49ers 21-31, 270 yds, 1 td, 1 int, 68.1 qbr
vs Seahawks 19-32, 161, 1 td, 1 int 65.9 qbr
vs Chiefs 13-32, 136 yds, 1 int 35.3 qbr

And your point is? In those 5 games, he was 101-173. A 58% completion rate. With 4 td, and 4 int. His HIGHEST QB rating in those 5 games was 71.8. That's your idea of playing well? If you actually watched the games, you would see how well he wasn't playing.

Look who he plays for do the Browns even have a WR? Manzeil is a gifted player the only problem and a major one is that his head is wired wrong. If he can finally get it and escape his boy body this guy will be a decent Qb in this league.

coogrfan

Reaction score
Look who he plays for do the Browns even have a WR? Manzeil is a gifted player the only problem and a major one is that his head is wired wrong. If he can finally get it and escape his boy body this guy will be a decent Qb in this league.

"If my grandmother had wheels, she'd be a trolley car." :cool:

DeaconMoss

Reaction score

I watched him play a few games also just so I would know what we are likely going to land in Dallas. Honestly, the kid can make all the throws and lead an offense. Might need to coach some of those head first dives out of him, but JFF can play. I think we get him on the cheap, with a high reward low risk contract. He has so much more to offer than Griffin.

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

Or maybe Manziel isn't accurate enough for the Browns recievers to make plays.