Michael Irvin says Roy Williams doesnt run complete routes

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
theebs;2524611 said:
Troy aikman referred to him repeatedly as the worst route runner

I've said the same thing since LONG before we traded for him.

Which is one reason I thought we gave up WAY TOO MUCH for him.

LUVDABOYS

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2524631 said:
Here's video evidence of Roy running one of those 'what route was that' routes, lol.

[youtube]0tp3hJ5Zkzo[/youtube]

Now I do think he can help the team though because of the point I am making about him reminding me of Irvin as far as body type goes.

Roy isn't quick, but he's big and athletic. When Romo learns to trust him and throw the ball in his vicinity a few times and Roy 'goes and get's it' then that will become a part of the Cowboys offense.

That's going to take a training camp where Romo can throw 2000 passes while Roy is 'covered' and not worry about INT's.

Now you combine Roy's skills and T.O.'s mouth I can only say one thing.

Please let me see the Cowboys begin the 2009 season with Roy and TJ Housh as their two starting WR's.
In all fareness, the corner was 8 yards off Roy, Deon Sanders would have trouble getting seperation on that route.

Brian_C82

Reaction score
I don't understand why a wide receiver would have trouble running routes. If you have the talent to play WR in the NFL, it shouldn't be difficult to run a pattern on a field. I really don't understand it.

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2524847 said:
It's amazing, but you're worse than Jordan. I didn't respond to his comments because it's useless to try and talk to him.

But to make you look silly for the 122nd time on here I will give you this...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/inside_game/dr_z/news/1999/10/28/inside_football/

Which brings us back to Mike Martz and the Real West Coast Offense, as practiced with much success in St.Louis and Washington and New England.

"I couldn't have had two better mentors than Ernie and Norv," Martz said the other day. "We talk all the time. Ernie's the guy who really expanded the system, who put a twist on it. He kept finding different ways to get guys the ball, off different formations. But certain basic principles still apply.

"It's such a timing-oriented system. You want to get the ball downfield, yes, but you want to get it out quickly, and the timing portion is critical. There are no shades of gray. You've got to run in and out of your breaks -- boom, like that -- and you've got to be exactly where you're supposed to be."

I congratulated him on the trade that brought in running back Marshall Faulk, who, in the last two weeks, has supplied a nice change of pace to an offense that was beginning to look one-dimensional in favor of the pass.

"That's another thing that's critical to the system," Martz says. "Power running. You've got to be able to run the ball when you go to a three-wide receiver set, and you've got to run with power. By that I mean behind zone blocking, which is a big departure from the San Francisco system. Theirs was man-blocking, with a lot of cut-blocks and misdirection. Ours is straight power. Not many people realize this, but if we hadn't have gotten Marshall we were prepared to go with another excellent zone-blocking runner, Robert Holcombe. It takes a certain type, a guy who can run with power, who's good at picking his way through. Stephen Davis is doing that in Washington now, and that's a big reason why their offense is so good. Terry Allen 's starting to come around in New England.

"The good thing about zone-block running is that you can keep pounding away. You don't have the negative yardage plays."

I asked him whether he'd ever, in his younger days, talked offensive football with Gillman or Coryell or Zampese, before he joined his staff.

"Gillman?" he said. "Oh no, I was just a kid then and he was a God. I met Coryell a few times but I was too shy to talk football with him. When I was an assistant at Arizona State (1983-91) I used to go over and watch Ernie's system with the Rams, but it was too complicated for me to grasp. I admired it, but I didn't understand it. Believe me, I was very thankful when I got a chance to work with him."

And so are the high-flying Rams, St. Louis variety.
----------------------------------------

I hope the Cowboys game against the Eagles on Sunday is as easy as it is to make you look silly again on CZ.

Martz is not talking about the same thing when he says "timing" as you are.

He's simply referring to getting the ball out quickly (which, uh...is universal. Every system in existence desires that).

Reaction score
Roy Williams doesn't have elite speed but he's fast enough. Just throw the ball to him, he'll take away from pretty much any DB.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
5Countem5;2524879 said:
Actually, I was laughing at your disappearing, off to google something act. It had nothing to do with Martz's offense, but keep patting yourself on the back , ol' Skip...

That's it. You bring that back as an excuse for thinking that Jordan had got me?

LOL. He knows nothing and you know less than he does.

Your best bet would have been to just never come back into the thread.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
LUVDABOYS;2525132 said:
In all fareness, the corner was 8 yards off Roy, Deon Sanders would have trouble getting seperation on that route.

Why? Just why?

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
JordanTaber;2525171 said:
Martz is not talking about the same thing when he says "timing" as you are.

He's simply referring to getting the ball out quickly (which, uh...is universal. Every system in existence desires that).

I figured it out.

You and countem are sharing the same brain.

Just let it go. I am embarrassed for the both of you.

You both get pwned and then instead of just moving on you come back with responses that make absolutely no sense.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
tyke1doe;2524618 said:
Maybe Romo gets a pass, but what's Garrett's excuse?

If Roy and T.O. are constantly running the wrong route, how about benching them a play or two? How about going more to a running attack?

But he won't stand up to either. And neither will Wade, because this coaching staff is weak and lets the players run the show.

You got my humble vote.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
theebs;2524611 said:
Troy aikman referred to him repeatedly as the worst route runner he has ever seen and Laufenberg has commented now two weeks in a row, that watching roy williams and T.O. run routes its no wonder the offense is struggling. He said he couldnt figure out which route either was running and they keep stopping on top of it.

That is why I crack up when I see joe the blogger making these long winded posts about how garrett and romo suck.

There are a number of reasons why I am not hot on Garrett as of late and route running doesn't have a single thing to do with any of them.

Garrett is as much to blame as anyone. Tony, Owens, Roy, Garrett, Proctor and others are all responsible. None of them is doing anything to be free of guilt.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
dcfanatic;2524631 said:
Here's video evidence of Roy running one of those 'what route was that' routes, lol.

[youtube]0tp3hJ5Zkzo[/youtube]

Now I do think he can help the team though because of the point I am making about him reminding me of Irvin as far as body type goes.

Roy isn't quick, but he's big and athletic. When Romo learns to trust him and throw the ball in his vicinity a few times and Roy 'goes and get's it' then that will become a part of the Cowboys offense.

That's going to take a training camp where Romo can throw 2000 passes while Roy is 'covered' and not worry about INT's.

Now you combine Roy's skills and T.O.'s mouth I can only say one thing.

Please let me see the Cowboys begin the 2009 season with Roy and TJ Housh as their two starting WR's.

I don't know if that is "evidence".

Without knowing what is called, its hard to say that he didn't do what he is supposed to. Romo didn't even look his way. Play was probably designed to go Witten if the safeties vacated their spot.

Not excusing anything but to say that 1 play is conclusive just doesn't really cut it.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Didnt Roy go to the probowl when he was in Detroit???

He could not have been that bad of a route runner as people are saying and went to the probowl at the same time.

I tend to place more blame on Garrett than anybody else, he is after all the OC and the highest paid coordinator in the NFL. He should be able to draw up some more complex plays than what we have been running, seriously.

Some of our plays look like the QB drew them up in the dirt during the huddle. That type of crap works for the JV squad, but not at this level.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2525408 said:
That's it. You bring that back as an excuse for thinking that Jordan had got me?

LOL. He knows nothing and you know less than he does.

Your best bet would have been to just never come back into the thread.

Your google skills are great but like most bloggers, you seriously overestimate your importance and mistakenly think someone actually gives a crap what you think.

Don't you have a "I hate Wade/Jerry/Jason/Romo/TO/Roy/ or insert anything else else dealing with the Cowboys here" rant to write?

I am sure the rest of the NFC East LOVES your stuff.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
5Countem5;2525542 said:
Your google skills are great but like most bloggers, you seriously overestimate your importance and mistakenly think someone actually gives a crap what you think.

Don't you have a "I hate Wade/Jerry/Jason/Romo/TO/Roy/ or insert anything else else dealing with the Cowboys here" rant to write?

I am sure the rest of the NFC East LOVES your stuff.

So now I hate the Cowboys because you and Jordan don't know anything?

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
I really, really, really wanted Jerrah to trade for Houshmandzadeh.

5Countem5

Benched
Reaction score
dcfanatic;2525582 said:
So now I hate the Cowboys because you and Jordan don't know anything?

No..I don't know why you are the biggest, whiniest hater on here. Upbringing I guess. But you are synonymous with hatin'.

Mansta54

Reaction score
5Countem5;2525689 said:
No..I don't know why you are the biggest, whiniest hater on here. Upbringing I guess. But you are synonymous with hatin'.

That's funny, I've been tellin him the same thing in another thread. Dude whines and cries alot.. Glad I'm not the only one who sees it..:lmao2:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Mansta54;2525705 said:
That's funny, I've been tellin him the same thing in another thread. Dude whines and cries alot.. Glad I'm not the only one who sees it..:lmao2:

tru. dcfanatic can whine with the best of them but, otherwise, he's an alright guy. Sharing a beer with him would probably change your opinion of him. I'm just speculating & admittedly could be totally wrong. :D

Mansta54

Reaction score
Bleu Star;2525728 said:
tru. dcfanatic can whine with the best of them but, otherwise, he's an alright guy. Sharing a beer with him would probably change your opinion of him. I'm just speculating & admittedly could be totally wrong. :D

Oh I'm sure he's cool peeps and I luv the vids and info that he brings to the board. I told him so as well...

Sportsbabe

Reaction score
theebs;2524611 said:
Troy aikman referred to him repeatedly as the worst route runner he has ever seen and Laufenberg has commented now two weeks in a row, that watching roy williams and T.O. run routes its no wonder the offense is struggling. He said he couldnt figure out which route either was running and they keep stopping on top of it.

That is why I crack up when I see joe the blogger making these long winded posts about how garrett and romo suck.

This is very disturbing.:(