Mick Shots: Deeper Dive into Dak's Playoff Record

blueblood70

Reaction score
they are just not good in the playoffs whoever it is they suck
whoever it is you realize Prescott really played well in his first Green Bay game, beat Seattle and beat the brakes off of Tom Brady and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on the grass on the road all things that allegedly the Cowboys couldn't do because they always suck.. That's according to revisionist history we've seen why we've lost games all the way back to the Romo days of having the Patrick Creighton game or other games where they just can't get a break you know blame Romo but forget that DeMarco Murray had a huge hole fumbles the football and they barely misses 2 field goals and that there's right no catch all happened in the same damn game but Romo couldn't get it done could he couldn't win enough games in the playoffs could he ohh wait they're actually real reasons to why we lost the game as a team.... :popcorn: :facepalm: :oldcouple:

the defense sucked if that's what you're talking about yes, they've sucked in a lot of games lost, all the loses and Seattle win they were awful, on the defense last year in big games and big moments.

or the lack of run game or lack of physical offensive line or the offensive line have 11 penalties or three big penalties in the same game by the defense is that what we're talking about suck yeah the team sucks in most games...

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mick-shots-a-deeper-dive-into-dak-s-playoff-record

Mickey shows some good stats and reasoning here.
Dak is 0-3 when the defense gives up 30 or more points. Take a look at some SB winning QB's, and their playoff records when their respective teams have given up 30 or more points.
Mick is a controversial figure when it comes to Cowboys fans. He has his fans but the younger generation thinks he is a curmudgeon. Expect much pushback of this article.

By the way, I like Mick. He can speak from a long history with the Cowboys. I appreciate that perspective.

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Holy misleading and straw man arguments, Batman.
That was such a terrible article full of drivel.

I'm glad I've never given Mick much thought all these years.
Mickey is a total shill. A zero that offers no serious insight. Who cares what he says. Dak has failed in nearly every big spot. It’s indisputable.

Chasing6

Reaction score

blueblood70

Reaction score
Very misleading article. Just click bait.

So much goes into points ie offensive turnovers, top, offense consistency keeping their defense exhausted, special teams and etc.

But yes in general giving up 30 points is normally going to register as a loss
and there's also so much to go into it that SURE,

maybe you forget to say the lack of a run game 3YPC average or worse in all those losses to SF/2023 GB , a lack of a physical offensive line ,

you know that Troy and Roger had romo /Prescott hadn't had anything even remotely close to those OL/TD /es22 playoff productions??

then you can add in defense later,

but the offense , yes early turnovers..hmm game killas, NOPE!!

I've seen it happen in many games I mean we could go back to couple years back didn't Trevor Lawrence have 4 interceptions in a game and they won a playoff game?? didn't the Buffalo Bills Allen have three turnovers another one he kicked out of bounds or he would had four turnovers and they won that game? YUP seem to remember a guy named Matthew staver couldn't win anything Detroit comes over with a loaded team and somehow still leaves the league in interceptions and has two in the Super bowl.. Let me ask and it's rhetorical did they win that game I'd say yeah they did their defense just stepped it up I didn't make excuses they didn't say I'm tired Oh my God the TOP it hurts so bad we're gonna lose we're just going to blame it on the quarterbacks... :facepalm:

I mean the offense last year, I mean you want something that's a parallel? This is why this is a team game

the lions and the 49ers had a similar game the first half the 49ers were just terrible on offense, they couldn't get anything going as a team, they were down at the same score I believe, or at least the gap the deficit was the same, and somehow after halftime their team didn't use an excuse and blame the offense or QB, so somehow the 49ers managed to come back and yet the Cowboys defense gave up three straight touchdowns to start the second-half and you're making excuses for them?!!!???

which by the way the time of possession goes both ways and before those interceptions happen what happened? oh that's right, the opening possession against our defense look like practice they looked like they were unprepared it was so easy that I swear to God I was watching a preseason game where one team played their starters and the other team played their backups that is the tone setting drive that showed you the defense wasn't exhausted and tired when they started the game and started the half terribly?

The time of possession works both directions when the defense like it did a couple years back against San Francisco where allegedly played well enough to hold them to an 8-point game or whatever it was,

no look at the first half of that game Debo Samuels ran up and down the field for like 10 yards per carry in the first half they held on to the ball so long the Cowboys offense never had a chance to get going yeah they made mistakes but then you add in a defense dropping an interception Yep Trayvon diggs Mr. interception himself and then in the same game doesn't break up a big pass that was being bobbled to kittles up the middle these are the type of things that get you beat when you have an opportunity to make a Brock Purdy Or a garoppolo just paid for making a mistake and you don't you lose games like that yeah even when it's not 30 points the defense has had these types of possessions where they've let teams have long arduous runs down the field just ate up the clock that happened in the 2018 Rams game, you blame Prescott for that I don't even remember what it was 278 yards on the ground?

Let's stop making excuses for the entire team and the coaching staff they've been getting their butts kicked from top to bottom and every single playoff loss but if you want to blame something you would go back to defense is more to blame than anyone look at last year's losses yeah there's plenty of blame to go around and then that Seattle win the defense was horrible against the better teams and yet the label goes to the quarterback can't beat the better teams...

HungryLion

Reaction score
I honestly didn’t even think he played that well better than Dak sure but him and McCaffery don’t seem to kill us.
Our defense has been ok against the Niners in the playoffs. Our offense has never been able to do anything against their defense and they own Dak. That’s just the facts.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It was like a 90 second read. What a silly assumption.
I mean it’s not impossible….just seem extreme to think he made this thread and I’ll assume you saw this thread 2 or 3 minutes after it was created…read it replied….

Our defense has been ok against the Niners in the playoffs. Our offense has never been able to do anything against their defense and they own Dak. That’s just the facts.
I thought the last meeting 49ers took it easy. They could’ve easily scored more on us but the offense for sure seems to be the problem in those meetings.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
I personally am more interested in what Dak is doing to help him improve his post snap read especially in high pressure situations like the playoffs.

shabazz

Reaction score
When we held them to only 19 points in the playoffs it was way better than ok......but our putrid offense could only muster 1 Td the entire game.

Lost opportunity

mrmojo

Reaction score
Mickey doing what Mickey does.......the FO must be close to signing the extension with Dak so Mickey pumping some sunshine...

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The excuses never end.
They never end...you're right, just like the hate never ends. It's just fandom. Some refuse to see anything positive. It's be number 1 or bust. Talk about compensating.....like driving a big, lifted 4 wheel drive....oh, wait....I drive a big, lifted 4 wheel drive, ooops!..lol, at least I don't need to use the steps.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mick-shots-a-deeper-dive-into-dak-s-playoff-record

Mickey shows some good stats and reasoning here.
Dak is 0-3 when the defense gives up 30 or more points. Take a look at some SB winning QB's, and their playoff records when their respective teams have given up 30 or more points.
Our defense is the number one problem. It was the main problem when Romo was the QB and it’s been the main problem with Dak. No QB is going to get far in the playoffs with all our defensive breakdowns that have been haunting us for well over a decade. We’ve had issues forcing turnovers, pressuring the QB and making critical stops.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
Did Mickey Hacknola include when Dak gave the opposing D a short field or a pick 6? I'd bet not...
Of course, if you're going to do that, you would also need to do the same for the other QBs in the comparison. It actually may be enlightening.

Same with those times that the defense gave up only 19 and 23 points. Did the other QBs in the comparison list lose games where the defense gave up less points? In other words, you can't apply a standard to one without applying other it to all the comparable.

I think someone ( i believe mountaineercowboy) also mentioned above, that Dak has the all-time worst playoff percentage yet, if he wins 1 of the games he lost, he probably is upper half in the rankings...with such a small sample size the stat has much less meaning.

At the end of the day however, the reality is there are many factors that contributed to the Cowboys failures that include FO, coaches, and players on both sides of the ball. Yes, Dak is part of that and should be included in the reason they lost.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The excuses never end.
I didn’t read the article but anyone who’s being honest has to admit the defense has been a huge problem over the years in the playoffs. We’re either getting carved up through the air or we can’t stop the run or both.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
Of course, if you're going to do that, you would also need to do the same for the other QBs in the comparison. It actually may be enlightening.

Same with those times that the defense gave up only 19 and 23 points. Did the other QBs in the comparison list lose games where the defense gave up less points? In other words, you can't apply a standard to one without applying other it to all the comparable.

I think someone ( i believe mountaineercowboy) also mentioned above, that Dak has the all-time worst playoff percentage yet, if he wins 1 of the games he lost, he probably is upper half in the rankings...with such a small sample size the stat has much less meaning.

At the end of the day however, the reality is there are many factors that contributed to the Cowboys failures that include FO, coaches, and players on both sides of the ball. Yes, Dak is part of that and should be included in the reason they lost.
If, as you say, our defense also contributed to handing Dak a short field...well then...you only make my argument. The problem you have with trying to be granular with analysis like this is that the MONEY ALLOCATED WON'T BE DONE ON A GRANULAR BASIS. Dak is going to get 20-25% of the cap...or something close to it - and has the ball more than any other player on the team. You can try to be spread the blame, but it will only work but so much.