Mick Shots: Deeper Dive into Dak's Playoff Record

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
What a worthless stat. The best scoring offense doesn't even average 30 points a game during the regular season. So basically it's saying that if a team scores greater than the best team average during the regular season they're likely going to win. Umm...duh.

raven55

Reaction score
when spagnola starts talking i turn him off he sucks a lot of to dumb and dumber that's how he has kept his job all these years just another talking head for them

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
It's a typical Mick homer piece.

For example, note this last line from him............

"The reason" for the GB loss was more than one reason. He totally glosses over the fact that a big factor in the Cowboys being down 27-0 was that Dak was atrocious in the first half. The fact he can't even admit that reality shows he just doing the same thing he's ripping people for just the other way to protect Dak.

He also totally avoids the reality that in two other playoff games the defense played decently and Dak wasn't all that consistent in those games. Funny how that doesn't get mentioned in this puff piece.
If Jerry sent Dak packing, the article would be written differently and other "facts" would get more weight. I like Mick for the historical perspective...but...he's a HACK.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
I mean it’s not impossible….just seem extreme to think he made this thread and I’ll assume you saw this thread 2 or 3 minutes after it was created…read it replied….

I thought the last meeting 49ers took it easy. They could’ve easily scored more on us but the offense for sure seems to be the problem in those meetings.
Why would it be extreme? Why would you assume 2 or 3 minutes after?
Why not assume I just happened to browse the site when he posted it. Took 90 second to read it then took another 15 to post?
That's less than two minutes to read and comment. Four minutes is plenty of wiggle room.

Extreme? Weird.

stiletto

Reaction score
when spagnola starts talking i turn him off he sucks a lot of to dumb and dumber that's how he has kept his job all these years just another talking head for them
He's the company mouthpiece. The fact he put that article out tells me that they may indeed re-sign him. Greasing the skids to prepare the fans.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
If, as you say, our defense also contributed to handing Dak a short field...well then...you only make my argument. The problem you have with trying to be granular with analysis like this is that the MONEY ALLOCATED WON'T BE DONE ON A GRANULAR BASIS. Dak is going to get 20-25% of the cap...or something close to it - and has the ball more than any other player on the team. You can try to be spread the blame, but it will only work but so much.
Not sure what your saying about the defense handing Dak a short field. What I was saying, is if you are going to isolate bad plays/outcomes from Dak as you suggest, then the same would have to be accounted for in the group of QBs that he was being compared to in the article to get a fair comparison, i.e. you can't apply a standard to one without applying it to all.

With respect to blame and salary/% of the cap, the amount someone is paid has no correlation to the amount of blame they should get for a loss. Again it is a team sport that requires 11 players on the field to work in unison to succeed along with coaches calling the right plays...there are lots of variables at play during every single play that contribute to the success and failure of a play that accumulates to a final outcome. Salary in no shape or form plays a role in that. Secondly, that assumption that the blame is more relevant also presumes that players salaries are based on merit and outcomes which is false...just look at Trevor Lawerence's contract this year or Kyle Murray's contract a few years ago just to name a couple.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why would it be extreme? Why would you assume 2 or 3 minutes after?
Why not assume I just happened to browse the site when he posted it. Took 90 second to read it then took another 15 to post?
That's less than two minutes to read and comment. Four minutes is plenty of wiggle room.

Extreme? Weird.
Why in the hell would TMC even care?! Weird is right.

rnr_honeybadger

Reaction score
Cowboys offensive points in the first half in playoff losses

2016 vs Packers - 13 points
2018 vs Rams - 7 points
2021 vs 49ers - 7 points
2022 vs 49ers - 6 points
2023 vs Packers - 7 points

Defensive points allowed in the first half of playoff losses

2016 vs Packers - 21 points
2018 vs Rams - 20 points
2021 vs 49ers - 16 points
2022 vs 49ers - 9 points
2023 vs Packers - 27 points

We can argue offense vs defense all day, but in the end neither side of the football is doing their job in the post season. I'd say the 2016 game was heavily a defensive failure, and the 2022 game was primarily an offensive failure. Outside of that it's really tough to point fingers at the other side as this team has been down and typically by two scores by the half pretty consistently....that takes a total team effort to be this bad in January.
14 of the packers 27 points in 2023 came off the offense screwing the defense. Hard to blame the defense when your offense is busy being charitable with the ball.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
The problem is the offense affects the defense, and vice versa. Games evolve in different ways, even if the same 2 teams were to play again.

Mick is such a homer it makes me want to vomit.

When your QB gives the other team 2 turnovers early, including a pick 6, you're just not going to win. Sorry Dakydorks.

shabazz

Reaction score
They never end...you're right, just like the hate never ends. It's just fandom. Some refuse to see anything positive. It's be number 1 or bust. Talk about compensating.....like driving a big, lifted 4 wheel drive....oh, wait....I drive a big, lifted 4 wheel drive, ooops!..lol, at least I don't need to use the steps.
Ranchero, is there any way to critique a player without hating them?

Do you think I really hate Dak or just want to see a change after 8 years of the same ending?

People were ready to move on from Tony, and rightly so, but I don't believe anybody actually hated the man

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
14 of the packers 27 points in 2023 came off the offense screwing the defense. Hard to blame the defense when your offense is busy being charitable with the ball.
Wrong.

It's 10 points the offense gave away. Defense failing to keep the Packers to only a FG during one of the two offensive turnovers falls strictly on the defense.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now then, being curious, wonder what other NFL QB records are when having to overcome 30-plus points in a playoff game?
Glad you asked. Here are a few choice ones:
  • Joe Montana: 0-3.
  • Brett Favre: 0-7.
  • Drew Brees: 0-3.
  • Ben Roethlisberger: 0-7.
  • Aaron Rodgers: 1-5, his one beating Dak, 34-31.
  • John Elway: 1-5.
  • Tom Brady: 2-5, his fifth the 31-14 loss to Dak in the 2022 season.
  • Peyton Manning: 2-4.
  • And just for grins, Troy Aikman 0-1, Roger Staubach 0-3

Damn. Interesting….all time greats up there. Never seen anyone take this angle.
The OP said "when the defense gives up 30 points". So...that doesn't really say how the offense contributes.

And yours seems even worse. "overcoming 30+ points"? How many QB's in the list gives the other team 14?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Ranchero, is there any way to critique a player without hating them?

Do you think I really hate Dak or just want to see a change after 8 years of the same ending?

People were ready to move on from Tony, and rightly so, but I don't believe anybody actually hated the man
Romo had 11 years as a starter. Dak has only had 8. Be fair and give Dak an equal amount of time to prove he can do better. 3 more years to go before equal comparison.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wrong.

It's 10 points the offense gave away. Defense failing to keep the Packers to only a FG during one of the two offensive turnovers falls strictly on the defense.
From inside the 20?> Your rationalizing is totally pathetic. Please stop it.

Don't throw the interception and let your defense rest...even if you have to punt. Take care of the ball...don't hurt your defense.