Twitter: Mike Fisher: Cowboys re-engage Dak in contract talks

Tarheelcowboy

Reaction score
Just give him four years and get this over with.

How about franchise and trade..... much better idea. But I would bet there are no takers for Dak pso just release him at this point. Tank out the year and get Trevor next yr. much more sound.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unfortunately Dak is not the answer at QB for a top caliber team such as the cowboys . Therefore , any long term deal is a waste of time for a team that is serious about a Super Bowl run. When your QB cannot beat the jets or score a TD against a depleted Eagles team , or is 1-6 against winning teams , then he writing is on the wall.
That has not been his 4 year history. Overreacting to one season, AND putting all the blame on one player, is not a reasonable way to make decisions.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I wish we as CowboysZoners could make a pact and make this Dak signing a lot more bearable by agreeing to not make hundreds of threads overreacting to the deal lol. It’s almost insane how cyclical this type of thing is.

1. Argue about said players deal/worth
2. Bang the table to pay/not pay him
3. Freak out once he gets paid
4. Reference him being or not being worth his contract at every good/bad play
Haha..

It's the ghost of Pete Rozell being channeled.

Nope..sorry.

I get paid by the word.

Jerrah promised me.

:lmao:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is the benefit of ever disengaging contract talks with the most important player on your team?
Did they ever really do that, or is this just media exaggeration? Even so, there comes a point that either one side blinks, or both sides agree to compromise, and nothing can work until that point comes.

jnday

Reaction score
I wish we as CowboysZoners could make a pact and make this Dak signing a lot more bearable by agreeing to not make hundreds of threads overreacting to the deal lol. It’s almost insane how cyclical this type of thing is.

1. Argue about said players deal/worth
2. Bang the table to pay/not pay him
3. Freak out once he gets paid
4. Reference him being or not being worth his contract at every good/bad play
You are wanting to totally take away the fun. Many of us has waited months to comment on the signing and contract.

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Are we trying to resign a SB winning QB or just a guy who hasn’t proven himself? I’m not a Dak hater and I think he can be pretty good but let’s not let him hold the franchise hostage. Let’s give him our best offer and if he refuses let’s move on. Next up.

basel90

Reaction score
That has not been his 4 year history. Overreacting to one season, AND putting all the blame on one player, is not a reasonable way to make decisions.
when a QB regresses like this , it is usually a bad sign , and good talent evaluators know it. Dak had his chances. He is hiding behind his stats . His game play is lacking .
Dak completed 65% of his passes last year, 50% of which were off target, but the receivers were able to catch anyway. When asked why there were so many dropped passes last year, one receiver said they were surprised when the pass was thrown accurately :eek:

CapnB

Reaction score
What is the benefit of ever disengaging contract talks with the most important player on your team?

Yeah, like your team would know. Yall just let Nelson Agholor walk out that door. The best player yall have had in decades. Future hof'er

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
He also has a 3 year history of being a game manager averaging 3600 yards and 22 TD passes a year, and people are overreacting to one garbage time fueled 5000 yard, 30 TD season... so which overreaction do you prefer?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He also has a 3 year history of being a game manager averaging 3600 yards and 22 TD passes a year, and people are overreacting to one garbage time fueled 5000 yard, 30 TD season... so which overreaction do you prefer?
A product of his offense. If you add in Dak's rushing TD's, his yardage & TD totals his first 3 years are very similar to what Romo did in 2014 when the Cowboys started using a more balanced run/pass attack. Besides, the job of the QB is to do what the team needs, not simply put up big stats for the sake of putting up big stats. Aikman was never a big stats guy, but he was what those 1990's teams needed at QB.

But I see the slant here - in the years the yardage & TD totals are more modest, wins mean nothing and stats are the key, and when he puts up the stats suddenly it's the wins that matter and stats mean nothing.

Last edited:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Did they ever really do that, or is this just media exaggeration? Even so, there comes a point that either one side blinks, or both sides agree to compromise, and nothing can work until that point comes.
It's time for McCarthy to put in a call to Dak.

If I'm him, I have not even had much contact with Dak.

I would not even know for sure if we get along yet.

Suppose it's not a match. Suppose you really are not sure you want to hand your coaching future to Dak.?

This is not ideal at all.

I would want to stay with the Exclusive Tag and see how 2020 goes.

And I think that is exactly where it's headed.

Let it keep for now.

Zip thy lips and let's see.

jnday

Reaction score
How many rushing yards did McCoy and Poe give up last season...
Clinton-Dix will look flashy, get some nice picks but there will be a load of blown coverages.
Cooper signing was good. He has even made Prescott look serviceable in the past.
Prescott is not a franchise QB.
Acting as though Frederick is easily replaced is laughable.

Last two years (from the Herd) Cowboys rankings
with Frederick. Yards per play # 1. Second fewest sacks allowed in the NFL
without Frederick. Yards per play #22. Second most sacks allowed in the NFL.

Plus Byron Jones has gone.

I'm not hating just providing a reality check to those who think that pigs fly.
The pigs my not be flying, but this offseason has certainly brought claims of the pigs growing wings. I think the MM hiring has really pumped up the natives

fivetwos

Reaction score
If Stephen/Jerry were smart, they would give in on the 4 year deal, but insist on a lower annual average $ value so that they could use the extra money to field a better team around him (including a C to replace TFred and 3WR).
Prescotts side wants everything....because they know Jerry will cave.

Jerry already told the world he was going to pay Dak.

What a shrewd negotiator.

You lost Jerry because you INSIST on running your mouth.

Now just pay the guy before any offseason work is missed and you double down on your damage yet again.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Are we trying to resign a SB winning QB or just a guy who hasn’t proven himself? I’m not a Dak hater and I think he can be pretty good but let’s not let him hold the franchise hostage. Let’s give him our best offer and if he refuses let’s move on. Next up.
"Next up" isnt all that simple when it comes to a starting NFL QB.

Tannehill didn't help. You won't hear from that team again for a decade though.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
A product of his offense. If you add in Dak's rushing TD's, his yardage & TD totals his first 3 years are very similar to what Romo did in 2014 when the Cowboys started using a more balanced run/pass attack. Besides, the job of the QB is to do what the team needs, not simply put up big stats for the sake of putting up big stats. Aikman was never a big stats guy, but he was what those 1990's teams needed at QB.

But I see the slant here - in the years the yardage & TD totals are more modest, wins mean nothing and stats are the key, and when he puts up the stats suddenly it's the wins that matter and stats mean nothing.
Uh, Dak’s first three years don’t look anything like 2014. 2016 does a little bit, albeit less efficient. 2017 and 2018 were 2 of the worst years a QB has had here since Testeverde.
Dak is a bus driving, easily replaceable game manager. With the offensive line suddenly looking like 2018 again don’t be surprised if he runs back to the negotiating table.... knowing that the garbage time stats that his agent is undoubtedly pumping are coming to an end.