Mike Fisher Dak's replacement?

Creeper

Reaction score
I don't know this guy Fish and I am not giving him 24 minutes of my time to watch him pontificate, but he's been posted here a number of times and I cannot remember one time when he was right about anything. I see him on X and it is the same lame predictions that never come to fruition.

The fact is, there are lots of options to replace Dak at QB. But just plugging some dude in, like Lance for example, is not the same as finding the QB who is as good as or better than Dak. After all, the people who want Dak gone think Dak is not good enough, so they must want a QB who is better. At this point there are no obvious answers to that dilemma.

This whole question about what to do with Dak is impossible to answer because we have no idea what it would take to extend him. They gave him $40 million for 4 years and now we are in year 4. Does he deserve a 50% increase to $60 million? Hell no. What about a 25% increase to $50 million? And how long is the deal going to be? 3 years? 4 years? 6 years?

There are no better QBs than Dak out there on the street. There are cheaper options but is money the issue, or performance? There is the draft, but drafts are crap shoots. Even if the Cowboys manage to get an early first round draft pick there has to be a viable option coming out of college. Trevor Lawrence was supposed to be the best prospect to come out of college in years and he is pretty average right now, just as an example of how the draft can go wrong too.

I think the unfortunate fact is, the only reason to let Dak go is money because there is no one out there as good as or better than him.

Having said that, Giving him $60 million is nuts so if that is what he wants we need to let him go and enter the QB abyss.

blueblood70

Reaction score
If the excuse to sign him at 54M is not having a better choice in 2025, why should Dak stop at 54M? Why not 74 or 84M? Because it's too much, right? So is 54M.
Really??

not too much when you look at the market,,

come on dudes why do we gotta keep explaining this to you all there are other quarterbacks that have even done less than the playoffs some have not even been to the playoffs that are making between 40 and 50 million right now and other ones I mean 2 attacking valley oga is not better then Prescott and he rejected a $50 million offer I mean literally there are players in the top 12 at quarterback as far as money goes there are a whole bunch of them that don't deserve it but they got it anyway and they have done either either at as much less the same I mean they they're not going by that like what is the playoffs and wins big wins and the playoffs are not shouldered by the quarterback alone owners know it but the one thing you do need it's a top ten quarterback really top five and that's what we have in Prescott most years so yes if he gets 5354 million dollars it's because all the other quarterbacks in his tier are also getting it if Kirk cousins can get that kind of money coming off an injury at five years older than Prescott and if Daniel Jones can get 42,000,000 yes Prescott is gonna demand over 50...

You cannot survive in this league without a good quarterback and finding one is difficult if you can't see it look at this bottom 16 teams fighting for decades looking for quarterbacks, let me keep bringing up this interesting stat 95 quarterbacks have been drafted since 2016 only one of them has won a Super Bowl that's a crazy stat, it means finding a replacement is difficult and it also means people ridiculously ripping the Joneses for not having a backup plan really so the rest of the league like more than 16 teams are fighting to find their starting quarterback and we're supposed to have two of them on our roster at any given time when that happens you're lucky we were lucky to transition from Romo to Prescott other teams have been lucky don't say they're not I mean Brock Purdy was an accident they picked him with no intent Tom Brady was an accident they picked picked him with no intent on him being who he ended up being and they were way low draft picks but some of these other draft picks are not working out like a lot of them so how are we supposed to have the backup plan when no one else can even find their starter??​
so much so, that they give up trying to draft one and then they go do what use all their draft capital to bring over a Russell Wilson Aaron Rodgers old Peyton Manning or Deshaun Watson and look at what they did they not only use draft capital but they pay these dudes insane money and they don't do anything when it counts I mean show me where those guys the last two seasons have done anything I mean since 2021 Prescott's been a top five quarterback here,​
you may not agree but again this has nothing to do with playoff wins or playoff losses contracts come up why don't we use this for all players..​
I don't hear this argument for most players that are position players that also are not showing up when it counts and yet they got their money Trayvon diggs has top five money he was number 4 on the money list when he signed his deal and then what did he do didn't play a snap last year but he got all his money lots of dudes around this league are getting giant contracts and they haven't won **** so the position players are also eating up this top market money and no one brings it up in 75 posts on the front page of these forums it's just all about the quarterback!!​
You have to have the right pieces at the right time and a relatively healthy team with some luck to get to a Super Bowl and win it it is very difficult and you have to have the quarterback to even have a shot we have that guy that's why they're considering paying him 54 and using a ridiculous hypothesis or whatever you wanna call it that why not ask for 74 because he won't get 74 but if you demand 60 he might get it but they might settle on 55 and that's probably where it's going and he's probably gonna get it in the fan base not gonna like it but somewhere he's gonna be playing for that kind of money and we're gonna have a big hole and we're gonna be maybe not in a Super Bowl but we're also probably not even gonna be competing for the division or the playoffs until we find another guy even similar to Prescott's level...​
No one's happy with these giant contracts going to any players because we look at it as well they're not winning championships but that's not the way it works not in sports there are players all over the sports landscapes the NBA baseball they're getting record contracts and they are not on winning teams they're doing it by individual accolades meaning stats the things they've done and Prescott has literally never had a losing season here he's been in the playoffs 5 out of eight seasons the man has a lot of top eight all time numbers in the NFL not Dallas cowboy numbers and this year he probably will be the number one quarterback in many categories as a Dallas cowboy and I know stats are not supposed to matter but I'm telling you that players in every sport are not looked at and say well you haven't brought us a ring so we'll have to pay you less no they all get their record deals by how well they put up stats or their record even though their record shouldn't be a factor but it is a real thing that Prescott's never had a losing season and people think he's needs to be replaced and not worth the money but look at all the other quarterbacks with all that money and that plenty of losing seasons hell I watched Drew Brees play for 19 years a man only has one championship but he played three straight years with a record of 5-11 with one of the best coaches in the league that hangs on both of them but no one bothered to care about whether he got paid or not or whether he had bad games in the playoffs..​
I'm going to finish my rant on that cause on that note I mean you really find it that impressive that Brett farve and Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers all played for I don't know 15 to 19 years and only have one championship and yet we're ripping our quarterback for not winning one by year 9 they literally played twice as long and only had one championship that is how hard they are to win guys like Dan Marino doesn't have any it took forever to have John Elway be more than a stack guy he needed Terrell Davis and a better defense and he got it and he finally won two at the very end of his career , matthew staffford literally left the lions after 12 years of stat padding futility to a SB ready team still committed a league leading amount of INTs and 2 INTS in sb but finally got his ring, i mean that's not that impressive to my. He's the same player on better team.. Romo and Dak have been waiting for that team..​
and I realize most of you're not going to read this but Troy roger Staubach had twice the talent and coaching staff around them to get theirs, FACT! Literally they were never asked to carry their teams and Prescott and Romo have not got that benefit.​

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Really??

come on dudes why do we gotta keep explaining this to you all there are other quarterbacks that have even done less than the playoffs some have not even been to the playoffs that are making between 40 and 50 million right now and other ones I mean 2 attacking valley oga is not better then Prescott and he rejected a $50 million offer I mean literally there are players in the top 12 at quarterback as far as money goes there are a whole bunch of them that don't deserve it but they got it anyway and they have done either either at as much less the same I mean they they're not going by that like what is the playoffs and wins big wins and the playoffs are not shouldered by the quarterback alone owners know it but the one thing you do need it's a top ten quarterback really top five and that's what we have in Prescott most years so yes if he gets 5354 million dollars it's because all the other quarterbacks in his tier are also getting it if Kirk cousins can get that kind of money coming off an injury at five years older than Prescott and if Daniel Jones can get 42,000,000 yes Prescott is gonna demand over 50...

You cannot survive in this league without a good quarterback and finding one is difficult if you can't see it look at this bottom 16 teams fighting for decades looking for quarterbacks, let me keep bringing up this interesting stat 95 quarterbacks have been drafted since 2016 only one of them has won a Super Bowl that's a crazy stat, it means finding a replacement is difficult and it also means people ridiculously ripping the Joneses for not having a backup plan really so the rest of the league like more than 16 teams are fighting to find their starting quarterback and we're supposed to have two of them on our roster at any given time when that happens you're lucky we were lucky to transition from Romo to Prescott other teams have been lucky don't say they're not I mean Brock Purdy was an accident they picked him with no intent Tom Brady was an accident they picked picked him with no intent on him being who he ended up being and they were way low draft picks but some of these other draft picks are not working out like a lot of them so how are we supposed to have the backup plan when no one else can even find their starter??​
so much so, that they give up trying to draft one and then they go do what use all their draft capital to bring over a Russell Wilson Aaron Rodgers old Peyton Manning or Deshaun Watson and look at what they did they not only use draft capital but they pay these dudes insane money and they don't do anything when it counts I mean show me where those guys the last two seasons have done anything I mean since 2021 Prescott's been a top five quarterback here,​
you may not agree but again this has nothing to do with playoff wins or playoff losses contracts come up why don't we use this for all players..​
I don't hear this argument for most players that are position players that also are not showing up when it counts and yet they got their money Trayvon diggs has top five money he was number 4 on the money list when he signed his deal and then what did he do didn't play a snap last year but he got all his money lots of dudes around this league are getting giant contracts and they haven't won **** so the position players are also eating up this top market money and no one brings it up in 75 posts on the front page of these forums it's just all about the quarterback!!​
You have to have the right pieces at the right time and a relatively healthy team with some luck to get to a Super Bowl and win it it is very difficult and you have to have the quarterback to even have a shot we have that guy that's why they're considering paying him 54 and using a ridiculous hypothesis or whatever you wanna call it that why not ask for 74 because he won't get 74 but if you demand 60 he might get it but they might settle on 55 and that's probably where it's going and he's probably gonna get it in the fan base not gonna like it but somewhere he's gonna be playing for that kind of money and we're gonna have a big hole and we're gonna be maybe not in a Super Bowl but we're also probably not even gonna be competing for the division or the playoffs until we find another guy even similar to Prescott's level...​
No one's happy with these giant contracts going to any players because we look at it as well they're not winning championships but that's not the way it works not in sports there are players all over the sports landscapes the NBA baseball they're getting record contracts and they are not on winning teams they're doing it by individual accolades meaning stats the things they've done and Prescott has literally never had a losing season here he's been in the playoffs 5 out of eight seasons the man has a lot of top eight all time numbers in the NFL not Dallas cowboy numbers and this year he probably will be the number one quarterback in many categories as a Dallas cowboy and I know stats are not supposed to matter but I'm telling you that players in every sport are not looked at and say well you haven't brought us a ring so we'll have to pay you less no they all get their record deals by how well they put up stats or their record even though their record shouldn't be a factor but it is a real thing that Prescott's never had a losing season and people think he's needs to be replaced and not worth the money but look at all the other quarterbacks with all that money and that plenty of losing seasons hell I watched Drew Brees play for 19 years a man only has one championship but he played three straight years with a record of 5-11 with one of the best coaches in the league that hangs on both of them but no one bothered to care about whether he got paid or not or whether he had bad games in the playoffs..​
I'm going to finish my rant on that cause on that note I mean you really find it that impressive that Brett farve and Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers all played for I don't know 15 to 19 years and only have one championship and yet we're ripping our quarterback for not winning one by year 9 they literally played twice as long and only had one championship that is how hard they are to win guys like Dan Marino doesn't have any it took forever to have John Elway be more than a stack guy he needed Terrell Davis and a better defense and he got it and he finally won two at the very end of his career , matthew staffford literally left the lions after 12 years of stat padding futility to a SB ready team still committed a league leading amount of INTs and 2 INTS in sb but finally got his ring, i mean that's not that impressive to my. He's the same player on better team.. Romo and Dak have been waiting for that team..​
and I realize most of you're not going to read this but Troy roger Staubach had twice the talent and coaching staff around them to get theirs, FACT! Literally they were never asked to carry their teams and Prescott and Romo have not got that benefit.​
:hammer: :clap: :hammer:

It's all about Dak when it comes to them anti-Dakkers. They don't care if they are wrong. It's about their feelings. As long as their feelings are pleased, that's all that matters because they most certainly don't offer any better options.

blueblood70

Reaction score
They had to add Amari. I'm saying it is a shame it had to come to that. He's also the only big named player we added since 2012. I could be wrong. Be he is all I remember. Cooks is fine. But he's not the player he was in 2017.

Dak needs top weapons, and a solid if not very good run game. Do you think he makes what we have better? They make him better. Similar to Tua out there in Miami.
Wow you just described Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach it's crazy... Like they didn't have the best run game offensive line and running back in the history of the sport... Add in a historically great staff of coaches and trainers in a different era.. You know before the salary cap and the free agency changed.. Where player movement and trades hardly ever happened and now they happen all the time...

Most ridiculous thing I ever hear is they need more weapons yeah like our other two quarterbacks didn't have any?! Literally they had almost all of it Patrick mahomes is better than both those quarterbacks because he's done more with less.. Truly the only elite quarterback in the NFL right now because they keep taking his weapons away and he keeps winning

Troy Roger and the rest of today's NFL ohh need weapons, and very strong run game.. It's hilarious that people are so ridiculous that they forget how great those teams were, and we have Kurt Warner undrafted free agent with the greatest show on turf, how long were they top running back to get his ring.. I mean literally that is the blueprint for most teams and most quarterbacks and yet we keep pointing out the obvious for the entire league​
we have talent but for one thing we have not had in the playoffs in the big games against the 49ers it's a strong run game and and strong trenches and coaches who know how to call plays and adjust...​
Just last year we saw the 49ers down at halftime to the lions and literally should have folded tents and lost that game but they had the team and the coaching staff to overcome that they played a bad first half as well one much different than ours and yet like our old Super Bowl teams those 49ers were good enough to overcome it but then they met Mr. mahomes and Mr. Andy Reed the combo for the newest dynasty in the league is which is very rare so yes the rest of the league needs more weapons to get over the hump in the playoffs.. Acting like Brock Purdy and some of the other quarterbacks that have come through the 49ers organization in the last 10 years haven't had talent they're all in loaded all the time and yet they don't wanna serve both since 1994... Why because they're meeting players like Tom Brady and organizations that have some of the best coaches and at times some of the best talent in the NFL whether it's on defense special teams or long to run game or in the trenches they have it and we have not had it.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We didn't have a great run game last year. At best, we're a similar team to last year. A 10-11 win team. At worst, we take a 2016-2017 drop off. Might still make the playoffs now with 8 or 9 wins. I'm worried about the passing game more than the run game.
We haven't had a run game since Travis. You could have Prime Dickerson and still have trouble. If we can "fix" the oline blocking...make some HOLES! and the "scheme" (the way we call plays for whom and when), run game will improve which helps passing game.

If you dont; see an O-lineman running up the field looking for someone to hurt...at least occasionally...you don;t have a run game. Think Orlando "pancake" Pace.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Wow you just described Troy Aikman and Roger Staubach it's crazy... Like they didn't have the best run game offensive line and running back in the history of the sport... Add in a historically great staff of coaches and trainers in a different era.. You know before the salary cap and the free agency changed.. Where player movement and trades hardly ever happened and now they happen all the time...

Most ridiculous thing I ever hear is they need more weapons yeah like our other two quarterbacks didn't have any?! Literally they had almost all of it Patrick mahomes is better than both those quarterbacks because he's done more with less.. Truly the only elite quarterback in the NFL right now because they keep taking his weapons away and he keeps winning

Troy Roger and the rest of today's NFL ohh need weapons, and very strong run game.. It's hilarious that people are so ridiculous that they forget how great those teams were, and we have Kurt Warner undrafted free agent with the greatest show on turf, how long were they top running back to get his ring.. I mean literally that is the blueprint for most teams and most quarterbacks and yet we keep pointing out the obvious for the entire league​
we have talent but for one thing we have not had in the playoffs in the big games against the 49ers it's a strong run game and and strong trenches and coaches who know how to call plays and adjust...​
Just last year we saw the 49ers down at halftime to the lions and literally should have folded tents and lost that game but they had the team and the coaching staff to overcome that they played a bad first half as well one much different than ours and yet like our old Super Bowl teams those 49ers were good enough to overcome it but then they met Mr. mahomes and Mr. Andy Reed the combo for the newest dynasty in the league is which is very rare so yes the rest of the league needs more weapons to get over the hump in the playoffs.. Acting like Brock Purdy and some of the other quarterbacks that have come through the 49ers organization in the last 10 years haven't had talent they're all in loaded all the time and yet they don't wanna serve both since 1994... Why because they're meeting players like Tom Brady and organizations that have some of the best coaches and at times some of the best talent in the NFL whether it's on defense special teams or long to run game or in the trenches they have it and we have not had it.
Dang, brother, you are killing it this morning. Keep laying down them FACTS!

:hammer: :bow:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
warning. click bait. fish is a second rate reporter who tries to get click as some in media do as well, which is to say something outrageous about a topic of high interest.
True, but Fish definitely has the inside scoop to our front office and usually is spot on with what decisions are going to be made and why.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
First off you have some really good points in that post, but I'm going to isolate just this one paragraph as it's the main piece I disagree with. The issue with this is that Dak hasn't made past the divisional round of the playoffs. For that reason when we talk about replacement options the 95 QBs since 2016 stat really needs to be in relation to how many of those have made the playoffs, or more specifically the divisional round.

With the parity of the NFL, making the post season really is not that high of a bar. Now I do think you have to give Dak and the Cowboys a little more credit as they are making pretty consistently, but over the last five years how many teams have not made a playoff appearance? I know the Jets have the longest playoff drought. Denver, Atlanta, Carolina may not have made it back since their super bowl appearances. Anyone else? I don't have the exact numbers but it seems that at least 80% of the league is making the post season on a semi regular basis, and may of those who are not have had super bowl teams within the last decade.

From an end result standpoint I think it becomes somewhat easy to replace Dak....or at least come close to it, I don't want to minimize three consecutive playoff appearances and how difficult that is. What is difficult as you've mentioned is to find a QB solution that will take this team to the next level. The Brady/Mahomes combo that's dominated the superbowls since Dak has arrived in the league are not easy to find and as we see only come once a decade or so.

My whole philosophy is that teams need to prioritize building up their roster then go find the QB. While teams are paying middle of the road QB 20% of the cap, I'd go against the grain and put that money towards building up other positions so I'm not reliant on my QB being superman.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I will admit it's harder for us fans that want Dak gone as opposed to yourself.

Since you don't care about post season success, as we have discussed many times.

You consider a winning season and one in done in the playoffs a success, people against Dak don't.

Obviously if I believed like you that seasonal play was my only determinate, then I would also shell out 60 million a year for a playoff choker, because the rest really doesn't matter.

It must be nice to not look at the whole picture, I assume that was how you HS career as a center went to, win a few HS games but know championship, yet every one got a trophy. How nice :rolleyes:
HS don't give out trophies. If you ever played. You would know that.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
If the excuse to sign him at 54M is not having a better choice in 2025, why should Dak stop at 54M? Why not 74 or 84M? Because it's too much, right? So is 54M.
The market is whatthe market is.

Goff got 53 million. It stinks, but Dak is getting 54 to 60 million IMO. We shall see.

Lets say we let Dak walk, and we go 6-11 the next season..... those same people saying Jerry would be a fool to sign Dak will then be calling him stupid for not having a "Plan," in place to replace him....lol

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Don't pay 50+ million for a guy that has proven multiple times/years he can't get over the hump, don't go with a re-tread (I feel the same way about Head coaches), don't try to re-kindle a guy's career (best option if all else fails). Draft until you find the right guy. Don't care how low the probability is.
Yea, why the Rams ever traded for a guy that showed year after year after year he could never do squat in the playoffs..... stupid people for sure.

Flamma

Reaction score
Really??

and I realize most of you're not going to read this but Troy roger Staubach had twice the talent and coaching staff around them to get theirs, FACT! Literally they were never asked to carry their teams and Prescott and Romo have not got that benefit.
You can condense this. You write a lot of stuff that I usually don't disagree with. Like the last line I put in bold. Bottom line is, I don't care what other teams pay their crap quarterbacks. If your son walked up to you can said, Dad, I want a brand new Mustang GT. Johnny got one across the street and he's a pot smoking bum!!

I already know our front office don't go out of their way to support our QB. Which is the reason we need to look for an elite QB to have any chance to win a championship. And it won't be easy even with one of them. As you've already pointed out that Brees, Rodgers, and Favre only have 1 apiece. But paying Dak 50-60M is not the answer with this front office. Not unless you never want to win a championship and happy to just make the playoffs and embarrass yourself.

Flamma

Reaction score
The market is whatthe market is.

Goff got 53 million. It stinks, but Dak is getting 54 to 60 million IMO. We shall see.

Lets say we let Dak walk, and we go 6-11 the next season..... those same people saying Jerry would be a fool to sign Dak will then be calling him stupid for not having a "Plan," in place to replace him....lol
I know what the market is. If Dak asked for 100M a year and Dallas let him walk, would they still ask what plan we had in place when we went 6-11? I'm saying he's not worth market value. Whether there is a plan in place or not. Do what other teams do, move up and draft a QB.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Nope worse seasons are perpetual based upon finishing high in the regular season and one and out playoffs where you don't get premium picks.
Once you reach the playoffs, chance of succeeding are 50/50. You need a good QB to accomplish as much. Doing things your way is a big gamble which time has proven most often ends in failure. It could take many years to hit the jackpot your way. By then, most of the talent on your team will have moved on. You will be left rebuilding and searching with nothing to show for it for years to come. No playoffs. No division championships. No chance at trying your luck in the dance.

Nothing but failed seasons and wasted time in years searching and hoping.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Once you reach the playoffs, chance of succeeding are 50/50. You need a good QB to accomplish as much. Doing things your way is a big gamble which time has proven most often ends in failure. It could take many years to hit the jackpot your way. By then, most of the talent on your team will have moved on. You will be left rebuilding and searching with nothing to show for it for years to come. No playoffs. No division championships. No chance at trying your luck in the dance.

Nothing but failed seasons and wasted time in years searching and hoping.
It's worked for the Eagles, Rams and 49ers who in the last few years have been in multiple super bowls with different QBs.

Obviously you and the Jone's method is netting what failed outcomes.

Of course you don't agree with that since we have discussed many that you think the last years have been successful while the majority of us disagree.

Maybe we should do a poll on that to see what the forum take is on that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
A lot of fans here act like they don’t care if our next QB is better than Dak they just want one that’s cheaper. If they’re cheaper they’ll try and find something good about them. :rolleyes:

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I know what the market is. If Dak asked for 100M a year and Dallas let him walk, would they still ask what plan we had in place when we went 6-11? I'm saying he's not worth market value. Whether there is a plan in place or not. Do what other teams do, move up and draft a QB.
Do like the Cards? Jets? Bears? Dolphins? Washington, Giants....... I think you get the point. For every CJ Stroud, there are 5 Bryce Youngs.
I hear you, it just isnt quite as easy as you insinuate.