Mike Martz's take on Trey Lance

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I honestly agree...looking at highlights his arm looks mid
Not bad enough that he can't be successful, but he needs to be really good at decision making and accuracy and have a quick release. But he honestly looks mid there. Doesn't really bother me that we gave up a 4th for him, but what was SF thinking taking him at #3 overall...

kskboys

Reaction score
Not bad enough that he can't be successful, but he needs to be really good at decision making and accuracy and have a quick release. But he honestly looks mid there. Doesn't really bother me that we gave up a 4th for him, but what was SF thinking taking him at #3 overall...
Lance has a very strong arm. That and his athleticism is what got him drafted 3rd.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
"His processing speed is still a work in progress and he must get faster going through his progressions."

Funny, that is what his scouting report said.

You have a lot of good stuff to offer, might want to stay away from the UH/Nuh uh stuff.
Dude, I just copied word for word what was written on the website and emphasized the contradictory information to what you suggested. I have no idea what you’re quoting, but it’s also not what you claimed, i.e., that he’s very slow through his progressions.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
How was our running game?

It is not just that our defense sucks.
It was stopped by some pretty good play by the Packers linebackers. There’s actually a video of it on the YouTube.

Nevertheless, a running game that is played well against doesn’t force Dak to throw poorly read interceptions, especially the pick 6 one. He wasn’t under pressure on either one of those throws.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Martz is totally correct about Lance. Jerry isn't remotely adept about his judgment of QBs. He's proven it in the past.

Chasing6

Reaction score
It was stopped by some pretty good play by the Packers linebackers. There’s actually a video of it on the YouTube.

Nevertheless, a running game that is played well against doesn’t force Dak to throw poorly read interceptions, especially the pick 6 one. He wasn’t under pressure on either one of those throws.
And a *****ing WR does not make you force the ball to him either.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
And a *****ing WR does not make you force the ball to him either.
Dak wasn’t coerced into throwing it to him. If he has the lack of mental fortitude to play the game as it’s supposed to and deviates because of what a WR says, then that’s just another strike against him.

sbark

Reaction score
See in scout report... his hips can fall behind.

Dak gotta teach him his hip swivel dance move.
Because thats the same reason he does it

FVSTONE

Reaction score
"I want [49ers coaches'] eyeballs here," Martz said regarding Lance. "I've never seen anything about this kid that was encouraging at all. He really has to plant himself to make a good throw, he's not a quick decision guy."

Lance has been praised for his mobility, which was a large reason he was selected third overall in 2021 – but Martz said he "looked like a fullback stumbling around trying to run the ball."

"I've never liked him. I still don't like him," he said. "I'd like to know what he does so well. He's not a great passer, he doesn't have good skills, takes a long time to set himself to throw the football, misses easy throws."

Nice to see another honest opinion of a wannabe NFL QB, who unfortunately got some very bad advice from some very greedy agents.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Nice to see another honest opinion of a wannabe NFL QB, who unfortunately got some very bad advice from some very greedy agents.
Long term, Trance would have benefited tremendously playing another year in college.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Similar to Romo he needed work on driving the ball with his legs.

Chasing6

Reaction score
What was Lynch thinking? Shanahan did not want to trade hill for Trance.

Chasing6

Reaction score
If last year was average what does a good QB year look like? Sure I'll take Mahomes also..what else you got?
Pretty sure Dak had his best year last year.

I think this is proof of our failed education system in the US. People have no understanding what average means anymore.

So their is Mahomes, then average, and then everyone else sucks.