MLB 2017 Regular Season

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Astros need one more pitcher to make a serious run to the WS. DeGrom would instantly be their ace and he would help a lot when they decrease the rotation for a playoff series. Pitching wins in the post-season.

They are out of luck to get a reliever from the Mets :laugh:

I don't think Houston would trade one of their position players but that is what I would ask for! I want DeGrom to stay in NY. But, if he were to traded, I want guys in return who can hit for average and play good defense. We need a 1st, 2nd, catcher and an outfielder badly, maybe even a third baseman. Of course, a SS would be nice too :flagwave:

The Mets should be sellers but DeGrom is the last guy I want leaving, take Thor or Harvey first........

I think the Astros are balancing "win it this year" vs. let's be competitive for the next decade.

They have the 3rd best ERA in the AL and the best offense that maybe we've seen in a generation. I think it's a good enough team to win the WS as it currently stands. If Kuechel & McCullers are healthy in the post season, it's going to be a very difficult team to beat as is.

That being said, I think a left reliever is probably what they'll settle on.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think the Astros are balancing "win it this year" vs. let's be competitive for the next decade.

They have the 3rd best ERA in the AL and the best offense that maybe we've seen in a generation. I think it's a good enough team to win the WS as it currently stands. If Kuechel & McCullers are healthy in the post season, it's going to be a very difficult team to beat as is.

That being said, I think a left reliever is probably what they'll settle on.

As long as that offense holds up in the playoffs, your pitching should be good enough. But, I have seen great offenses get shut down facing 2-3 stud pitchers in the playoffs for a series.

Finding a lefty RP might be a tall task at this point in the season.

Last edited:

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
Big Astros fan here since late 60s.

This has been a fun year needless to say but it will be all-for-not without a Championship.

I know that many Cowboy fans are Ranger fans and are our rivals but I don't dislike the Rangers. I pull for them in the playoffs. We haven't been competitive enough since we joined the division to make it a big rivalry yet.

Go Cowboys, go Astros! :flagwave:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Big Astros fan here since late 60s.

This has been a fun year needless to say but it will be all-for-not without a Championship.

I know that many Cowboy fans are Ranger fans and are our rivals but I don't dislike the Rangers. I pull for them in the playoffs. We haven't been competitive enough since we joined the division to make it a big rivalry yet.

Go Cowboys, go Astros! :flagwave:

I don't view it as an "all or nothing" proposition.

To me winning the world series would be the icing on the cake.

After the way this organization has come back from historically bad levels this season's performance is beyond expectations– Many prognosticators didn't even have the Astros winning the division.

I'm looking forward to this team being competitive for several seasons to come.

The best team doesn't always win the world series. Anything can happen. Houston could win 108 games this season and come up short. They could win 90 next year and win it all... That's simply how it goes.

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
I don't view it as an "all or nothing" proposition.

To me winning the world series would be the icing on the cake.

After the way this organization has come back from historically bad levels this season's performance is beyond expectations– Many prognosticators didn't even have the Astros winning the division.

I'm looking forward to this team being competitive for several seasons to come.

The best team doesn't always win the world series. Anything can happen. Houston could win 108 games this season and come up short. They could win 90 next year and win it all... That's simply how it goes.

They will definitely be competitive for a few years with this bunch and the minor league prospects on the horizon.

So far they have super exceeded expectations and I believe most of the fanbase are expecting the whole enchilada.

It's still early and anything can happen, they just need to peak at the right time. So far they have pretty much been peaking all year. It's been a heck of a year so far.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's a portion of a study I "borrowed" that dates from 2012 with the discussion around the question of how often does the best team in baseball actually win the World Series?

With some definitions of “best” in hand, let’s look at how often the “best” team has won the World Series. We begin our study in 1969, or the first year more than two teams appeared in baseball’s postseason. Specifically:

• from 1969 to 1993, four teams made the post-season.
  • from 1995 to 2011 (there was no post-season in 1994), eight teams participated in the playoffs.
  • this past season, ten teams were in the playoffs.
Given these definitions, how often has the “best” team won the title?

From 1969 to 1993 – or across 25 seasons — here is what we see:

• Top team in winning percentage won the World Series 7 times.
  • Top team in Pythagorean Win-Loss won the World Series 8 times
  • Top team in Simple Rating System won the World Series 11 times
So no matter how you define “best,” the “best” team in baseball failed to win the World Series half the time when four teams made the playoffs.

When we look at the playoffs with at least eight teams, the “best” teams do even worse. From 1995 to the present (across 18 seasons) we see the following:

• Top team in winning percentage won the World Series 3 times.
  • Top team in Pythagorean Win-Loss won the World Series 3 times
  • Top team in Simple Rating System won the World Series 5 times
Again, being the “best” doesn’t seem to guarantee a title. More than two-thirds of the time, the “best” team fails to end the post-season as a very happy team.

So even if a team could increase its payroll and buy the “best” team, the playoffs in baseball are simply not designed for the “best” team to consistently triumph.

Both Pythagorean and the Simple Rating System are stat-geek ways of determining the best team.

Needless to say, no matter what system you're using to judge "best team", the best team more often than not doesn't win the World Series.

Another reason why I'm not big on an "all in" mindset.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So the Cubs have picked up a starter from their crosstown neighbors and the Nationals some relief help from Oakland. I don't think the White Sox have much else to peddle but the A's have some additional pitching resources that could be had.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Just realized the Astros have never won the world series. I was in the astrodome in 1986 when the Mets clinced the NL pennant. I was the guy that was heard screaming with excitement while the dome was relatively quiet. That is still the best game six clinching game ever and I can say I was there. And My stupid brother in law at the time was there with me and wanted to leave in the 9th inning.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Can the Mets trade Sandy Alderson for any other teams GM. The guy is now using the same schtick he used last winter. He would rather trade Granderson over Bruce. and just like last winter he probably wont trade either one. Hell Fire, I know what to do. There is a log jam in the outfield. Conforto needs to play ever day and if not trade him. He or Bruce is the right fielder. If you want to keep Bruce move Conforto. But you have to move one of those. Conforto is not a center fielder. Alderson seems so damn scared to make a move it is beyond crazy. Cespedes is our Left fielder for hte next three years. Not sure what they are going to do with center field. They paid Lagares a boat load of money a few years ago but he got fat and lazy and then keeps getting injured. They owe him too much money to cut him. And the infield. How pitiful is that? They need to see what the Smith kid can do at 1st base. got to move Duda. They need to put the kid SS Rosario in and put Reyes on the bench. Reyes is not the future. Put TJ Rivera at 2nd base. The kid can hit like Daniel Murphy. Dont trade him cause he will end up the next Murphy or Justin turner that became MVP players after they left the Mets. And time to move on from David Wright. Good Lord-The guy has not played in years and when he did play he could nto throw anymore. Do they think he is going to Bennie Hinn or Benihana and will be healed to throw again? Come on. Got to find a 3b in free agency but we all know that the Wilpons wont go there.

And Lord help the new age pitching staff that spends more time on the DL than in the rotation. Not sure what you do with that.

come on Sandy, this is not that difficult. But you have to make a decision. And sooner than later so the kids can get some playing time.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Can the Mets trade Sandy Alderson for any other teams GM. The guy is now using the same schtick he used last winter. He would rather trade Granderson over Bruce. and just like last winter he probably wont trade either one. Hell Fire, I know what to do. There is a log jam in the outfield. Conforto needs to play ever day and if not trade him. He or Bruce is the right fielder. If you want to keep Bruce move Conforto. But you have to move one of those. Conforto is not a center fielder. Alderson seems so damn scared to make a move it is beyond crazy. Cespedes is our Left fielder for hte next three years. Not sure what they are going to do with center field. They paid Lagares a boat load of money a few years ago but he got fat and lazy and then keeps getting injured. They owe him too much money to cut him. And the infield. How pitiful is that? They need to see what the Smith kid can do at 1st base. got to move Duda. They need to put the kid SS Rosario in and put Reyes on the bench. Reyes is not the future. Put TJ Rivera at 2nd base. The kid can hit like Daniel Murphy. Dont trade him cause he will end up the next Murphy or Justin turner that became MVP players after they left the Mets. And time to move on from David Wright. Good Lord-The guy has not played in years and when he did play he could nto throw anymore. Do they think he is going to Bennie Hinn or Benihana and will be healed to throw again? Come on. Got to find a 3b in free agency but we all know that the Wilpons wont go there.

And Lord help the new age pitching staff that spends more time on the DL than in the rotation. Not sure what you do with that.

come on Sandy, this is not that difficult. But you have to make a decision. And sooner than later so the kids can get some playing time.

Sandy plays moneyball with strict instructions coming in from the Cheapons. If the value isn't there, he will not make a trade. We all know the problems but they are stuck with a few big contracts for awhile.

No one will trade anything for Duda or Bruce since they are on their last year. That and they suck, especially Duda. Grandy and Reyes are done yet it is sad that the Mets still depend on those bums :(

We need a CF badly in the offseason along with a few starting caliber infielders. I am not sold on Rivera long term, he is no Murphy to me. Wright will never play again but he will still be on the team for a couple more years.

We need an influx of talented position players, they all suck minus a few. I am even more concerned with the pitching, they are all breaking down.......hope DeGrom stays healthy.

Collins needs to go, even if undeservedly so, they need a philosophical change.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So the Yankees make a somewhat big trade that gives the team some extra help in the bullpen and a somewhat better bat at 3B.

And they keep Boston from getting those players. :)

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Time for the Mets to bring up Tim Tebow. Put some fannies in the seats for the next two months so the Cheapons can have a few extra $$$ to put into free agency.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Dallas had a rough outing last night. Once he gets back to form, we will have he, fiers, and peacock all pitching lights out. If mccullers is just decent, I will take it. As long as we can avoid KC in the playoffs, they seem to have our number, I see us going to the WS. I want the Dodgers, cause they have the best record, or the Cards, the team I still hate the most.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I miss the expos. I saw their old uniforms and got nostalgic. I was not a fan of the team, but I always enjoyed their matchups with the Astros.

I also miss the old glove logo for Milwaukee and the friar logo for SD. I just saw the 80s logo for the cards, looked just like whitey herzog, cap and all.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas had a rough outing last night. Once he gets back to form, we will have he, fiers, and peacock all pitching lights out. If mccullers is just decent, I will take it. As long as we can avoid KC in the playoffs, they seem to have our number, I see us going to the WS. I want the Dodgers, cause they have the best record, or the Cards, the team I still hate the most.

Houston's 18 games up on 2nd place... The division is done.

The Astros just have to try to be healthy entering the playoffs.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
Houston's 18 games up on 2nd place... The division is done.

The Astros just have to try to be healthy entering the playoffs.
Oh, barring an epic collapse, they won the division.....I am worried about 1 maybe 2 teams......royals and red sox. Both do well against us, kc especially over the last few years.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Per Ken Rosenthal-source confirms Reed to Red Sox for three prospects pending medical review

Knowing the Mets like I do, the three prospects are

connie-mack-stooges-082616.JPG

Silver Surfer

Reaction score
Per Ken Rosenthal-source confirms Reed to Red Sox for three prospects pending medical review

Knowing the Mets like I do, the three prospects are

connie-mack-stooges-082616.JPG
Wish I could like it again, just for the Grady Judd tagline.

Here's some other great lines from him.:

Talking about sending in officers to deal with a man who threatened them and Judd directly:
"Goin' in, we know we're not dealing with Einstein, we're dealing with Frankenstein."

After recommending the citizens of his county obtain firearms to protect themselves:
"Get a concealed firearms license, and carry it. And if you need to shoot somebody - shoot 'em a lot."

Last edited: