MLB 2017 Regular Season

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Go Mets!!

They usually start slow. Pitching is looking good. Cespedes is scorching, Conforto is hot, Bruce is hot, and TDA is doing well. Got to get 3rd base going as Reyes is 2 for 200. Maybe a platoon with Wilmer and Reyes. Wilmer is raking against lefties. Cant complain too much yet. Even Terry Collins hasnt messed anything up yet.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Houston PPD due to rain out in Oakland.

Even with that rainout, Houston has bested last April's win total of 7.

Through the first 12 games, Houston is looking good.

Pitching has been good, and the hitting has come around with the Astros overcoming two 5-run deficits.

Even though this year's squad is not slugging to the same level of last year, the overall batting average is up (Carlos Gomez is gone, Marisnick isn't starting every day) and their on-base percentage leagues the lead. They're striking out less and taking far more walks than last season.

Barring big-time injury woes this should be a playoff team.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Rangers were swept by the Mariners.

Another blown save.

They haven't won a game when they've scored less than 8 runs.

It's early, but they're in trouble.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
The Rangers were swept by the Mariners.

Another blown save.

They haven't won a game when they've scored less than 8 runs.

It's early, but they're in trouble.

Not just blown saves but blown leads. Big leads.

Cardinals look to be in trouble as well. Yankees caught them at the right time.

Toronto looks to be in trouble too. But they've done this in the past then go win 15 out of 17 games later in the year.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not just blown saves but blown leads. Big leads.

Cardinals look to be in trouble as well. Yankees caught them at the right time.

Toronto looks to be in trouble too. But they've done this in the past then go win 15 out of 17 games later in the year.

Oh no doubt Toronto can pull off a streak. The challenge is, like Houston last year, is that you pull off a hot streak and you get to .500, then you go cold again. It makes it darned difficult to say get up by 10 games.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
The Yanks & CC are playing tough.

CC is that late in his career, in their twilight of their career acquisition that adds that veteran seasoning on way to title run....

Only thing is..... we overpaid to keep him THAT LONG. lol

Could have not extended him years ago and STILL got him back... on the cheap.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
The pitching has been the surprise. If they starting staff can hold up the Yankees can do some good things this season.

I think people are really missing on Girardi... especially these last two seasons.

He is not thinking about next year. He is thinking about now.

That guy. That's the guy I want managing my team.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Does anyone else look at disabled lists now a days and shake there head?

My baseball watching goes back to the late 60's and I see guys going on the DL for "contusions" and such and I just roll my eyes.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Does anyone else look at disabled lists now a days and shake there head?

My baseball watching goes back to the late 60's and I see guys going on the DL for "contusions" and such and I just roll my eyes.
Thank god for the new 10 day DL. Contusions on fingers for middle infielders and certainly pitchers can prove to be a nuisance. But the sport has been soft, more or less, since the 80s, Mike.

Houston Street was just added to our 60. His extension has proven very unfruitful. Bedrosian has emerged as a stellar closer, thank god.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I must admit I dont recall ever seeing or meeting an Angels fan except when Ive been in Southern CA.

Who do you guys hate as rivals?
We loathe the Rangers (lol) and Oakland. We don't like Seattle for '95 but they've been mostly irrelevant (post-season) so the animosity is much less there, WPB. The Astros are still relatively new to the division, so the hate hasn't festered as much as it has for the Rangers and Oakland.

And then there's the Dodgers. Whom we despise.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Astros are tied for the league lead in wins... 3 big differences from last April:

1. The starting picture has been considerably better with Keichel recapturing his Cy Young form of 2015.
2. This is no longer an offense full of guys that K 30% of the time. Guy are putting balls into play and moving runners along.
3. Walks... Far more walks than a year ago has helped to greatly increase the OBP of the team.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
We loathe the Rangers (lol) and Oakland. We don't like Seattle for '95 but they've been mostly irrelevant (post-season) so the animosity is much less there, WPB. The Astros are still relatively new to the division, so the hate hasn't festered as much as it has for the Rangers and Oakland.

And then there's the Dodgers. Whom we despise.

I liked some of those California Angels teams in the 70's and early 80's. Bobby Grich and Don Baylor. :D

Of course Rod Carew, Fred Lynn, Reggie, Lyman Bostock, etc.

Better uniforms back then too. By far.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I liked some of those California Angels teams in the 70's and early 80's. Bobby Grich and Don Baylor. :D

Of course Rod Carew, Fred Lynn, Reggie, Lyman Bostock, etc.

Better uniforms back then too. By far.
Man, Lyman Bostock. What a sad story there. Same with Donnie Moore.

Yeah, WPB, those old jerseys were amazing.

Don't know if you know this, but the great Rod Carew just got a heart transplant. His donor, a former NFL TE (I believe).

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Man, Lyman Bostock. What a sad story there. Same with Donnie Moore.

Yeah, WPB, those old jerseys were amazing.

Don't know if you know this, but the great Rod Carew just got a heart transplant. His donor, a former NFL TE (I believe).

I knew Rod wasnt in good health. Good for him.

I liked the hats too

DSC_0256.JPG