MLB Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yankees have traded Justin Wilson to the Tigers for two pitching prospects.

Justin Wilson is a Left Handed set up man who has been really good for the Yankees. He was 5-0 last year with a 3.1 ERA, 1.131 WHIP.

Yankees get Luis Cessa and Chad Green. Both RHPs, with 90 to 95 MPH stuff. Neither has shown they can be successful in Triple A ball as yet so I am kinda scratching my head on this deal. Wilson is young, has three really reasonable years left on his contract and has shown to be a good Middle Reliever with the ability to throw long relief and he's a lefty. I gotta believe this is a deal to set up something else but I don't know what. I don't really see either of these prospects helping the team for at least two seasons, if ever. I guess we will see.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yankees have traded Justin Wilson to the Tigers for two pitching prospects.

Justin Wilson is a Left Handed set up man who has been really good for the Yankees. He was 5-0 last year with a 3.1 ERA, 1.131 WHIP.

Yankees get Luis Cessa and Chad Green. Both RHPs, with 90 to 95 MPH stuff. Neither has shown they can be successful in Triple A ball as yet so I am kinda scratching my head on this deal. Wilson is young, has three really reasonable years left on his contract and has shown to be a good Middle Reliever with the ability to throw long relief and he's a lefty. I gotta believe this is a deal to set up something else but I don't know what. I don't really see either of these prospects helping the team for at least two seasons, if ever. I guess we will see.

I didn't quite get that one either.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Astros make the big move and acquire Ken Giles from the Phillies.

Great pickup for Houston. That gives them their closer who can come in and throw 100mph.

Last year's closer Gregerson, who did a commendable job becomes the 8th inning guy.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
The Mets acquired Cabbrera and Walker in the bargain basement isle from Walmart. Not exciting. Seems they replaced Murphy and Flores with Murphy and Flores light. But its the Mets.

they have a 3 year window before those ace pitchers start asking for 200 milliion dollar contracts. They should go for broke now before they lose them all.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Mets acquired Cabbrera and Walker in the bargain basement isle from Walmart. Not exciting. Seems they replaced Murphy and Flores with Murphy and Flores light. But its the Mets.

they have a 3 year window before those ace pitchers start asking for 200 milliion dollar contracts. They should go for broke now before they lose them all.

Houston's window is open longer but a similar situation with young players... you get what you can out of them and either sign them long-term OR you move them for prospects/draft picks.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Astros resigned relief pitcher Tony Sipp.

So far their offseason has been a B.

I'd like to see a starter signed.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Now that Heyward is signed maybe we'll start to see things pick up with the dominos falling . . .

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now that Heyward is signed maybe we'll start to see things pick up with the dominos falling . . .

What the Cubs have him was an unbelievable bad contract... For a career .268 hitter, who's going got an OPS of less than .800

The guy's an OK player, but the "foundation" of a franchise? No way.

He's a Claudell Washington who plays better defense.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
What the Cubs have him was an unbelievable bad contract... For a career .268 hitter, who's going got an OPS of less than .800

The guy's an OK player, but the "foundation" of a franchise? No way.

He's a Claudell Washington who plays better defense.

And Upton is the next sought after OFer . . . . . . . .

Whats the rumor about Bryce Harper, that he'll get 40 million per year when he's a FA?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And Upton is the next sought after OFer . . . . . . . .

Whats the rumor about Bryce Harper, that he'll get 40 million per year when he's a FA?

Yeah, Upton is "Ruben Sierra" kind of player. He's brings some offensive punch, but he's not THE guy on an offense and if he is then you've got work to do on your offense.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Yeah, Upton is "Ruben Sierra" kind of player. He's brings some offensive punch, but he's not THE guy on an offense and if he is then you've got work to do on your offense.

Thats a name from the past. Rangers always seemed to have some bats but never had the pitching for years.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Yeah, it's crazy, but we (the fans) have been saying it's crazy since the late 70's.

Its is crazy and I contribute by renewing by MLB.com subscription every year for $120. :D

I watch most of the Orioles games, maybe miss 5-10 games a season at the most. So its about 75 cent a game to watch.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Some scuttlebutt about some unknown team being interested in George Springer of the Astros.

It would take something big to get Springer. I think Springer has a little more upside to him than a typical season for Upton.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score

When Boras is the agent nothing ever gets done quickly. Now that Heyward signed for what he did I would think any pipe dreams of Davis getting more, or much more than what the Orioles offered should be shattered, but Boras has his minion Heyman tweeting about all of Davis' homeruns compared to Heyward. I cant imagine Davis getting Heyward money. I might be wrong tho.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When Boras is the agent nothing ever gets done quickly. Now that Heyward signed for what he did I would think any pipe dreams of Davis getting more, or much more than what the Orioles offered should be shattered, but Boras has his minion Heyman tweeting about all of Davis' homeruns compared to Heyward. I cant imagine Davis getting Heyward money. I might be wrong tho.

Davis vs. Heyward. Interesting comparison.

Offensively Davis gets the nod due to the homers. Heyward is better in all other offensive areas and defensively there's no comparison. All told Heyward is probably a smidgen better.

Davis probably shouldn't get Heyward money.

That being said I don't think Heyward should have gotten Heyward money. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.