MLB Offseason thread

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I still don't like that contract. A .914 OPS is awesome, no doubt, but he isn't worth $250 mil, imo. Maybe I'm scarred from Albert. There's a bunch of Angels' fans clamoring for him. The rest want us to wait till next year when Harper or Machado are in play
I wouldn't give anyone 250m guaranteed deals but I don't run a MLB team with fans to please and TV deals to make....... some of that money comes back by triple if they sell TV rights like the Dodgers at 2 billion a year

Every 1 million in extra seats sold is at least 25-50m in revenue

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I wouldn't give anyone 250m guaranteed deals but I don't run a MLB team with fans to please and TV deals to make....... some of that money comes back by triple if they sell TV rights like the Dodgers at 2 billion a year

Every 1 million in extra seats sold is at least 25-50m in revenue
Oh, absolutely, Night. It's why we went all in on Pujols. Arte got something like a $3 billion TV (FoxSports) deal

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Giants and Stanton would be intriguing. At least he'd be out of that armpit Marlins franchise.

Still, I consider him closer to a Cespedes-type hitter (not the injuries, mind you), with more power. More of a driver of the ball than a slap hitter with drive.

Edit -- Didn't know that he had two SS. That's pretty rad and important. His numbers aren't bad, but if we remove his best season (this last year), and his worse year (2016), he's an above-avg hitter to me, and nothing more. Before 2017, not great, nor elite. A poor man's Harper, and a rich man's Cespedes.

Maybe I'm being rough with him and others because I don't think the hype they get is more deserving than Trout. But yet, Trout is mentioned the least (MLBTV, ESPN, FS1, media etc) of the Stanton's, Judge's, Harper's.

It's ******* criminal that Trout is so under-represented by the media, And I hope he doesn't give a damn, like I've read several times. He is so hard to market as an Anaheim ball player. Being in proximity to LA isn't being the Dodgers.

Sorry for the tangent.

Last edited:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Giants and Stanton would be intriguing. At least he'd be out of that armpit Marlins franchise.

Still, I consider him closer to a Cespedes-type hitter (not the injuries, mind you), with more power. More of a driver of the ball than a slap hitter with drive.

Edit -- Didn't know that he had two SS. That's pretty rad and important. His numbers aren't bad, but if we remove his best season (this last year), and his worse year (2016), he's an above-avg hitter to me, and nothing more. Before 2017, not great, nor elite. A poor man's Harper, and a rich man's Cespedes.

Maybe I'm being rough with him and others because I don't think the hype they get is more deserving than Trout. But yet, Trout is mentioned the least (MLBTV, ESPN, FS1, media etc) of the Stanton's, Judge's, Harper's.

It's ******* criminal that Trout is so under-represented by the media, And I hope he doesn't give a damn, like I've read several times. He is so hard to market as an Anaheim ball player. Being in proximity to LA isn't being the Dodgers.

Sorry for the tangent.
Most of America(TV people) is asleep when he plays...... East Coast bias for sure

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
Still, the gap in talent and transcendency between Trout, and, say, Altuve, Harper, Machado, Donaldson, Bryant fills up the Grand Canyon.

Please, baseball fans, don't be disingenuous. I know that Altuve just won a Chip. So did Salmon. Erstad. Glaus. Speizio. GA. Fulmer.

Altuve doesn't hold a candle to Trout, much less a matchstick.

Altuve and Co just play for a better owner/org

I would object big time to one for one trade, Altuve for Trout....no go, no go ;)

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
According to reports, Stanton is considering 4 teams.

MLB @MLB

Giancarlo Stanton reportedly would now accept a trade to Astros, Cubs, Dodgers, Yankees. Stanton has full no-trade clause in contract. http://atmlb.com/2nITuCQ

10:15 PM - Dec 7, 2017
Imagine Judge-Stanton-Sanchez....................droooooooool

It would probably take CFrazier- Chance Adams- Justus Sheffield- EFlorial
Plus they would have to take Ellsbury and at least 1/2 his salary

OTOH with 12 more years on the deal I would rather go for Machado next year

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Imagine Judge-Stanton-Sanchez....................droooooooool

It would probably take CFrazier- Chance Adams- Justus Sheffield- EFlorial
Plus they would have to take Ellsbury and at least 1/2 his salary

OTOH with 12 more years on the deal I would rather go for Machado next year

A lot of people still think Bryce Harper will end up in a Yankee uni as well.

The Yankees could be scary, up and down that lineup but they still need to solidify their starting pitching IMO. Even if they make no trades, sign nobody, they will still be scary good in a few years, once some of that young talent is ready to come up. That's why so many teams are linked to trades with the Yankees. They have a stupid amount of talent in their farm system right now.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

The Yankees could be scary, up and down that lineup but they still need to solidify their starting pitching IMO. Even if they make no trades, sign nobody, they will still be scary good in a few years, once some of that young talent is ready to come up. That's why so many teams are linked to trades with the Yankees. They have a stupid amount of talent in their farm system right now.
They are trying to get under the Luxury Tax this and that could stall any big signings

The cap is 197m this year and they are around 170m all in...... that leaves 27m for the whole year and they a SP, DH and C2.......if they could trade Ellsbury-21m, Headley-13m or DRobertson-13m they could trade for Stanton...... otherwise it would cost them 100s of millions in Luxury Tax

Stanton still has 12 years and 325m left on his contract or 27m a year

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
They are trying to get under the Luxury Tax this and that could stall any big signings

The cap is 197m this year and they are around 170m all in...... that leaves 27m for the whole year and they a SP, DH and C2.......if they could trade Ellsbury-21m, Headley-13m or DRobertson-13m they could trade for Stanton...... otherwise it would cost them 100s of millions in Luxury Tax

Stanton still has 12 years and 325m left on his contract or 27m a year

That is why the Otani signing would have been so big. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen but still in all, the Yankees are not in terrible shape, in terms of the Luxury Tax. Between CC, ARod and Matt Holliday, there is a good chunk of change coming off the books. They were at 196 million in 2017, the line for 18 is 197 so they are gonna have some room to play there.
  • CC Sabathia: $25 million
  • Alex Rodriguez: $21.5 million
  • Matt Holliday: $13 million
However, even if they don't sign anybody, they can still be really good with just the young guys.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
OTANI IS AN ANGEL!!!

Lol!!!! We got Otani, Maitan (whom I have read more about and seen recent pics of him at Maiceir Itzuris' Baseball Camp, and a lot of what I've read is salt from other teams, he looks amazing, and his recent scouting reports are better than I originally thought, having read more), and Soto this offseason. All for Pearson, and pennies on the dollar.

Eppler is building from the inside out.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score

There's talk that Bryce may end up an Angel, too. Lots of smoke around he or Machado (a lot of smoke around Machado) ending an Angel.

We aren't going ofter Moose (thank God) or Stanton (thank God), and we will have lots of money next season if we don't sign any huge FA this offseason. We are heavily linked to Hernandez (PHI 2B), but I think that a pipe dream. Eppler has said we are all in on a plus 2B, but if Arte gives Eppler a green light on Machado/Harper, we'll wait a year.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
IT JUST HAPPENED??????????? I just left my Angels board not 1 minute ago to post the above link.
Yes sir. I'm sure your giddy as heck - just as I would have been if he signed with Texas.

Not sure where the AB's are gonna come from though

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Yes sir. I'm sure your giddy as heck - just as I would have been if he signed with Texas.

Not sure where the AB's are gonna come from though
We have discussed moving Albert back to first (his replacement, Cron, is average at best) and giving Shohei DH on days other than the ones before or after he pitches, while using the rare 6-man rotation. With occasional starts in RF (where he played when on the field in Asia). But he would be taking the glove away from an above-avg defensive RF in Calhoun (Gold-Glover).

We will find him his at bats, I'm sure Eppler pitched the scenario to him. Most likely old man Albert playing a lot of 1B this year. My board is speculating that if Shohei really wants to hit, he should be good for around 200 ABs doing the above scenario. If he flashes as a hitter, I think Arte colludes with Pujols this offseason into a front office spot (which is actually part of Albert's contract with us -- retirement position with the club) that pays him the remainder of his contract.

We signed Albert to get the TV deal ($3 billion TV deal), now Ōtani brings a new type of dollar to Anaheim and our large Asian market. We can ditch Pujols. Please, baseball Gods.