MLB Offseason thread

RS12

Reaction score
I think Ohtani ends up ultimately pitching full time but it will be interesting to see what he can do at the plate.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Good move by the Angels.

I still question how good the guy actually is, but good move for them.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score

This was already happening before he signed to any club. Manfred released a memo on 1 DEC telling all the clubs that Shoehei's signing would be scrutinized.

The Angels are not being singularly investigated, nor is there any suspicion of wrong doing.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Good move by the Angels.

I still question how good the guy actually is, but good move for them.
No doubt, Mike. If he comes in and is a #2 starter I will be elated. Especially at $500k/year for three years, and team control for three years after that (arbitration-eligible)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stanton to NYY heating up

As a Yankees fan, not sure how I feel about it.

The guy is no doubt a talent... A big time talent.

But that contract is ridiculous.

And they would have to turn over a bunch of prospects for him.

On top of that I ask the question "Do they really need him?"

If he was a top-of-the-rotation starter I'd say "Yeah".

RS12

Reaction score
As a Yankees fan, not sure how I feel about it.

The guy is no doubt a talent... A big time talent.

But that contract is ridiculous.

And they would have to turn over a bunch of prospects for him.

On top of that I ask the question "Do they really need him?"

If he was a top-of-the-rotation starter I'd say "Yeah".
You should feel great. The Yankees print money, so the money excuse is bogus IMO. You need to ask yourself, how many legit 60 HR bats are available? I see one, and BTW I am not sold on how good Aaron Judge will be. Is he closer to Dave Winfield or Dave Kingman? First and second half of season were very different, probably somewhere in the middle.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You should feel great. The Yankees print money, so the money excuse is bogus IMO. You need to ask yourself, how many legit 60 HR bats are available? I see one, and BTW I am not sold on how good Aaron Judge will be. Is he closer to Dave Winfield or Dave Kingman? First and second half of season were very different, probably somewhere in the middle.

Judge had some injury issues post All-Star game, which helps explain the drop-off until September.

Still not sure the guy is needed.

Would rather have a dependable starter.

In addition the Yankees are trying to stay under the tax threshold. You commit $20 M a season (or so to this guy for the next upteen years) that's going to take away the ability to use that other money on other needed resources.

The Yankees suffered with some leaner years recently because of contracts like this.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looks like Stanton is NYY bound... to NY for Castro and other parts that have not been named.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Saw that this morning. Judge, Sanchez, Didi and don't forget about Hicks, that's a lot of power up and down that lineup. You add a guy who Averages 44 HRs a year and 110 RBIs, and you don't have to give up any of their top prospect,thats a big deal. Also solidifies the infield, adding a quality 3rd Baseman. That infield could start becoming a real strength defensively.

I don't think they are finished though. They need pitching and I think they are going to try and get some before it's all said and done with.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Jeter is starting over in Miami. Miami would have likely lost Stanton to another team either way and Stanton killed two other deals with the Giants and the Cards. Miami signed him to a 300 million dollar deal and that is not Jeter's fault. That's really the problem here, you gotta find a trading partner who can absorb that contract and, who will trade you something. It actually makes a lot of sense to me. Yankees would have traded contract for some guys but Miami is interested in cutting salary, not trade back for it. Jeter knows the Yankees Farm System as well as anybody and he knows which guys he wants.

I say give him time. He certainly can't do any worse then the prior ownership IMO.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
It’s not the AAV of Stanton’s contract, it’s the term. You guys will regret it in time and he will be unmovable like Albert, IMO

Those were some great tweets, guys lol

RS12

Reaction score
I say give him time. He certainly can't do any worse then the prior ownership IMO.
I could not agree less. The local fans have zero reasons to attend games anymore, Stanton was it as far as I was concerned. This feels like the ultimate bait and switch. If you cant afford it, dont buy it.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
It’s not the AAV of Stanton’s contract, it’s the term. You guys will regret it in time and he will be unmovable like Albert, IMO

Those were some great tweets, guys lol

Well, that is possible for sure. However, if they win a few Championships, they will likely be OK with it. If they don't, it will suck but that's the chance you take I suppose.

I mean that is why the Marlins got what they got for him right? There is an out clause in 2020 I believe and the Marlins are paying for some of his Salary so we would have to know what that amount looks like before you can really understand how big the cap hit is, going forward. He is 25 Mil next season and 26 Mil in 2019. How much of that the Yankees are on the hook for, I don't know.