MLB Offseason thread

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Also I've noticed that Trout's starting to pack on the poundage a little... He's probably going to start having that "Prince Fielder" shape too him by the time he's 30. :D
OHHHHH YOU!!!!!!! <SHAKES FIST> :D

He was actually leaner this year than his last two previous seasons. He still runs a 4.3/40.

We do use the "Trout is fat" meme a lot on my Angels board! Still, I don't like seeing it here, Mr. Winicki :angry:

:)

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Okay, okay. Mike!!! Grrr!!

What was Correa and Trout's WAR when Trout went out? Trout was easily number one. I don't remember the exact number, but I don't think Correa was top-5 at that point. And I was following Trout's stats VS the league, as I always do.

It's a tad (I don't want to use the word disingenuous) off (for lack of a better term) to use either of these players 2017 stats against each other. Trout came back and struggled per his excellence, I don't know what Correa did or how he performed once he returned, admittedly.

Correa struggled also when he came back.

Keep in mind they had virtually the same injury caused by doing the same thing– sliding head first and damaging the thumb.

Certainly understandable why neither hit very well on their immediate return to the lineup.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Correa struggled also when he came back.

Keep in mind they had virtually the same injury caused by doing the same thing– sliding head first and damaging the thumb.

Certainly understandable why neither hit very well on their immediate return to the lineup.
I had actually forgotten that Correa was injured, until it was you (I believe) who reminded me a couple months ago.

Correa is probably the most well-rounded SS in baseball, or at least is headed there, but surely you don't think he's as important as Trout, Mike?

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I had actually forgotten that Correa was injured, until it was you (I believe) who reminded me a couple months ago.

Correa is probably the most well-rounded SS in baseball, or at least is headed there, but surely you don't think he's as important as Trout, Mike?
Angels just signed that 17yr old SS Kevin Maitan ............. Atlanta was forced to give up their whole class for cheating and he was the prize of the international pool

He got 4.2m from Atlanta and now gets 2.4m from LAA..... good for the kid

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Oh I think Trout's the best player in the game.

But there are guys that aren't far behind. ;)

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Angels just signed that 17yr old SS Kevin Maitan ............. Atlanta was forced to give up their whole class for cheating and he was the prize of the international pool

He got 4.2m from Atlanta and now gets 2.4m from LAA..... good for the kid
We got Maitan????!!!! He was our consolation if we didn’t land Ōtani. Funny that we get some of their int’l market pool cash and their number one int’l signing, a week apart.

I wonder if this means we’re out on Ōtani, now?

Off to my Angels board!

Thanks, Night

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
The kid was worth it.
Mike. It seems that his value has fallen since he was signed 18 months ago. He was a top 50-70 prospect, but it sounds like he'll be lucky if he makes it to 90-100 this year.

Still, it was a good signing, since he's only 17 and plays a position of dire need in our org. But caveat there, he's supposedly gained 20 lbs (not in a good way), and most of it in his trunks. So we're already speculating a move to third. Not bad, but not what he may have been originally projected as. Still, he's probably 4-5 years away, from the sound of it (his swing, namely).

Granted, I've read most of this this afternoon, and our very own @Nightman broke the news to me, so there's more info to be had.

It was still a smart signing, the Halos need to attack the int'l market. We moved away from it, and then in very Dipoto-like fashion, we sign a scrub Baldoquin, whom was on NO ONE's radar. No scout/scouting publication of note. For the max, 3.5 mil in 2014. This has been the first real year we get to play with the big boys due to penalties for the signing.

And we're still all in on Ōtani

Eppler is in very strong favor in Halo land right now.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
May get Ohtani, even though I don't think he has the skill set of Darvish, he's a potential #2 IMO.
Yeah, the Ōtani hype is out of control in the baseball-verse. If he tops out as a number 2, I'd take it all day.

The real attraction is the penny's on the dollar that his contract represents (as a SP). If he waited another year, he'd get a lot more money.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, the Ōtani hype is out of control in the baseball-verse. If he tops out as a number 2, I'd take it all day.

The real attraction is the penny's on the dollar that his contract represents (as a SP). If he waited another year, he'd get a lot more money.

He could certainly end up signing with the Angels.

I'm seeing one so-called insider thinks the Padres will sign him, which would be a head spinner.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Mike. It seems that his value has fallen since he was signed 18 months ago. He was a top 50-70 prospect, but it sounds like he'll be lucky if he makes it to 90-100 this year.

Still, it was a good signing, since he's only 17 and plays a position of dire need in our org. But caveat there, he's supposedly gained 20 lbs (not in a good way), and most of it in his trunks. So we're already speculating a move to third. Not bad, but not what he may have been originally projected as. Still, he's probably 4-5 years away, from the sound of it (his swing, namely).

Granted, I've read most of this this afternoon, and our very own @Nightman broke the news to me, so there's more info to be had.

It was still a smart signing, the Halos need to attack the int'l market. We moved away from it, and then in very Dipoto-like fashion, we sign a scrub Baldoquin, whom was on NO ONE's radar. No scout/scouting publication of note. For the max, 3.5 mil in 2014. This has been the first real year we get to play with the big boys due to penalties for the signing.

And we're still all in on Ōtani

Eppler is in very strong favor in Halo land right now.
I thought NYY would be all over him with their 3.5m in pool money but they supposedly like a Catcher and OF more

LAA got to use next year's money so they are still all in on Ohtani like you said

Still don't know how Trout went 25th in the draft........even the Angels passed on him at 24 .... it was actually the NYY's pick that we lost for signing Mark Teixieira

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I thought NYY would be all over him with their 3.5m in pool money but they supposedly like a Catcher and OF more

LAA got to use next year's money so they are still all in on Ohtani like you said

Still don't know how Trout went 25th in the draft........even the Angels passed on him at 24 .... it was actually the NYY's pick that we lost for signing Mark Teixieira
Our best draft ever! Trout, Skaggs, Richards back-to-back-to-back :)

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Crossing my fingers my Giants can somehow nab both Stanton and Ohtani.

Also prepared that we get neither...

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Crossing my fingers my Giants can somehow nab both Stanton and Ohtani.

Also prepared that we get neither...
You should be praying that they don't land Stanton. All he does is hit HR. His contract is woefully overvalued. He hits the ball far, ooh ahhh.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Career .914 OPS begs to differ
I still don't like that contract. A .914 OPS is awesome, no doubt, but he isn't worth $250 mil, imo. Maybe I'm scarred from Albert. There's a bunch of Angels' fans clamoring for him. The rest want us to wait till next year when Harper or Machado are in play