MLB Offseason thread

kskboys

Reaction score
7/147m is the best so far by SD
KC went to 7/140m

JD Martinez is the one that surprised me with no offers
JD is strictly a DH. He is an absolutely awful fielder.

So, just how much do you pay for a DH? Maybe his agent is asking way too much? Can't say. He should've gotten at least an offer or two.

I'm already liking this baseball thread. It appears as if you guys know your stuff. Long time Astros fan/former sufferer here myself!!! Used to listen to them on the radio back in the 70's when it was Niekro and Cruz and the gang. That reward was one long time acomin'!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
I smell collusion....... seriously though it is getting tougher giving guys like Hosmer and JD Martinez and Darvish and Arrieta 150m+ contracts

It has become a young stars league without the PEDs and amphetamines and no one wants to give 7 year contracts to 30 year olds

Harper, Machado, Arenado, Altuve will soon be getting the big bucks
W/ PED's being cracked down on, players are no longer able to produce at a high level past around the age of 33 or so. Steroids were enabling player to play at a high level after 35, and that is not the norm.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
JD is strictly a DH. He is an absolutely awful fielder.

So, just how much do you pay for a DH? Maybe his agent is asking way too much? Can't say. He should've gotten at least an offer or two.

I'm already liking this baseball thread. It appears as if you guys know your stuff. Long time Astros fan/former sufferer here myself!!! Used to listen to them on the radio back in the 70's when it was Niekro and Cruz and the gang. That reward was one long time acomin'!!!
the Stros are built to last........ I am NYY guy and Nats fans by birth.....we will have some more battles in the near future

kskboys

Reaction score
the Stros are built to last........ I am NYY guy and Nats fans by birth.....we will have some more battles in the near future
Absolutely!!!! One of my best buds is a Yanks fan, and we're always yankin' each other's chains!!!

BTW, he can't stand Aaron Judge. We've discussed him quite a bit, and basically he's too tall to cover all the plate. Plus, strikeout machines just hurt you in too many ways.

What's your take on Judge?

Quickdraw

Reaction score
Judge is a monster. Reggie struck out a lot during his career. It goes with the territory of being a big hitter.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Absolutely!!!! One of my best buds is a Yanks fan, and we're always yankin' each other's chains!!!

BTW, he can't stand Aaron Judge. We've discussed him quite a bit, and basically he's too tall to cover all the plate. Plus, strikeout machines just hurt you in too many ways.

What's your take on Judge?
As long as they don't expand the strikezone to Judge's ankles he will do just fine

He hits the ball to the other field very well which means he is covering the outside half of the plate

His struggles in July and August were more injury related(shoulder) and he bounced back strong in Sept and Oct

Having Stanton behind him will only help

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mets sign Jay Bruce. 3 years $39 mil.

Actually a pretty good contract.

I'm wondering if we're starting to see a "new world" of free agency where the upper-end salaries start to come done.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Mets sign Jay Bruce. 3 years $39 mil.

Actually a pretty good contract.

I'm wondering if we're starting to see a "new world" of free agency where the upper-end salaries start to come done.

I don't like it. Bruce is subpar minus the HR's, hits for low average and barely walks. We already had him once, not sure why they wanted him back.

This now slides Conforto to CF where he is terrible. NY needs guys who can hit for average, not the same ole song and dance :(

FloridaRob

Reaction score
I don't like it. Bruce is subpar minus the HR's, hits for low average and barely walks. We already had him once, not sure why they wanted him back.

This now slides Conforto to CF where he is terrible. NY needs guys who can hit for average, not the same ole song and dance :(

Absolutely agree. So incredibly stupid. Hopefully they can now go resign Daryl Hamilton and Neil Walker and finish 27 games behind the Nationals. When does football season start?

kskboys

Reaction score
Astros still toying w/ Gerit Cole. I like him, but don't love him. His ERA the last 2 year has me worried, but man if he can get healthy, he's a stud. Not sure I'd give up close to what they're asking, but it'd sure be nice to have an innings eater like him.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Astros still toying w/ Gerit Cole. I like him, but don't love him. His ERA the last 2 year has me worried, but man if he can get healthy, he's a stud. Not sure I'd give up close to what they're asking, but it'd sure be nice to have an innings eater like him.
Fans need to watch out making too many decisions based on last year

The balls were a lot tighter and jumped out of the stadiums......Pitchers were starting to dominate

Cole's HRs went up but his peripherals were very similar

kskboys

Reaction score

I wouldn't pay Bruce anywhere near 13 mil/per

FloridaRob

Reaction score
The Wilpons are cheapskates and have to have the appearance of caring. This is their one big move of the offseason :lmao:

hold it, hold it. They are also discussing bringing back Lucas Duda. There is a time warp going on at Citi Field. Seriously Come on fells.