MLB Offseason thread

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
The Yankees signed CC for one year and $10 mil.
good deal...they are still 16m under salary cap and don't have to rush Chance Adams or J Sheffeld

How about the Dodgers/Braves deal ..... they bring back Kemp for AGonzalez, Kazmir, McCarthy and Culberson............ LAD saves 35m on the Luxury Tax this year and the Braves save big next year and get a starter in McCarthy ............AGonzales has already been waived and Kemp may be as well

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
good deal...they are still 16m under salary cap and don't have to rush Chance Adams or J Sheffeld

How about the Dodgers/Braves deal ..... they bring back Kemp for AGonzalez, Kazmir, McCarthy and Culberson............ LAD saves 35m on the Luxury Tax this year and the Braves save big next year and get a starter in McCarthy ............AGonzales has already been waived and Kemp may be as well

Funny... All those names traded and not a lot of production in '17 from any of them. Kemp played like 110 games and didn't do much last year. McCarthy had less than 100 innings pitched.

AGon was a pretty good player.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Very interesting on the slow movement of free agents.

I can remember how all the big names would be scooped up within the first week of free agency.

I think teams are much more careful. The luxury tax is a killer. The Dodgers paid well over 10% of their payroll in luxury tax this season and the Yankees about 7%.

With so many big names coming up next offseason it seems teams are being very careful about how much they commit to payroll this season.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Very interesting on the slow movement of free agents.

I can remember how all the big names would be scooped up within the first week of free agency.

I think teams are much more careful. The luxury tax is a killer. The Dodgers paid well over 10% of their payroll in luxury tax this season and the Yankees about 7%.

With so many big names coming up next offseason it seems teams are being very careful about how much they commit to payroll this season.

So thats the Mets game plan. Mets management would have the fans believe they will be going in on getting a Bryce Harper or Manny Machado next year. But we know there is a much better chance of getting Valerie Harper or Manny Sanguillen that those two great ball players.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So thats the Mets game plan. Mets management would have the fans believe they will be going in on getting a Bryce Harper or Manny Machado next year. But we know there is a much better chance of getting Valerie Harper or Manny Sanguillen that those two great ball players.

I feel for the fans of the Mets.

It's a dumpster fire.

And management doesn't seem inclined to clean up the mess.

The NL East is just a race to the bottom. Atlanta has issues. The Marlins... Well watching Derek Jeter run that operation is like watching Ox Baker (the former pro wrestler) do the "Nutcracker". It's just hideous.

The only one showing some kind of fight (not including the Nationals here) are the Phils. They made a nice free agent pickup in Carlos Santana.

Need to see the Mets make a couple signings here.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I disagree, it's working out great for the Yankees.

Yeah, at this juncture I thought the Yanks came out on top of that deal.

But 5 years from now it could be different.

Stanton has had injury issues in the past. He's play over 150 games just once in his career.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whoa!

Orioles star closer Zach Britton ruptured his Achilles yesterday during a workout...

Out at least 6 months. I'm guessing his gone for just about the whole season.

The Orioles might as well get to trading what players they can and start the rebuild.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Longoria traded by Tampa to the Giants... For basically "parts".

Tampa has officially run up the flag of surrender for '18.

I expect the Orioles and Blue Jays to do the same shortly.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Yankees - Pirates trade for Garrett Cole has cooled. Pirates want the Yankees to kick in Gleyber Torres, along with Clint Frazier and I don't think that's going to happen. Torres is too big a part of the plan for the Yankees to stay under the Tax Cap and he's also their number 1 prospect. I don't think the Yanks are going to do that.

There is now talk that the Yankees might be interested in a trade with the Dodgers for Yu Darvish. I don't know if this has real legs or not but it could be a deal where the Yankees are trying to move Jacoby Ellsbury.

Hot Stove stuff I guess....

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yankees - Pirates trade for Garrett Cole has cooled. Pirates want the Yankees to kick in Gleyber Torres, along with Clint Frazier and I don't think that's going to happen. Torres is too big a part of the plan for the Yankees to stay under the Tax Cap and he's also their number 1 prospect. I don't think the Yanks are going to do that.

There is now talk that the Yankees might be interested in a trade with the Dodgers for Yu Darvish. I don't know if this has real legs or not but it could be a deal where the Yankees are trying to move Jacoby Ellsbury.

The Yankees can't trade for Darvish... He's a free agent.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

At this point after re-signing CC the only player I would trade top prospects for is Machado

I heard Ellsbury will accept a trade to SF now that he would start in CF