MLB Offseason thread

RodeoJake

Reaction score
astros adding more pieces without giving up their best prospects :bow:

Gerrit Cole traded to the astros.

https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-land-gerrit-cole-in-trade-with-pirates/c-264677578

The rumor i kept hearing was both Fisher and Moran with Martes. I hated that deal. Giving up Moran stings a little but he was blocked. Musgrove and Feliz were pretty much in the same boat. This trade works for both teams. The crazy thing I'm hearing is that the Astros are still willing to add Darvish. How crazy would that rotation be with him as the 4 or 5 SP? We still have 7 or 8 candidates for the rotation as it stands. McHugh would make nice trade bait for a lefty reliever or to add prospects to our minor league teams.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was reported today that the NYY interest is closer to 5/80-90m range

That is reasonable but probably not enough

That sounds like the new normal for a guy of his age.

Except for someone like Harper or maybe Kershaw I think the $25 mil per season player is going to be stagnant for a while.

To give Darvish, who's 31 a 7-year deal is nuts. It's "Sabathia" all over again.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The rumor i kept hearing was both Fisher and Moran with Martes. I hated that deal. Giving up Moran stings a little but he was blocked. Musgrove and Feliz were pretty much in the same boat. This trade works for both teams. The crazy thing I'm hearing is that the Astros are still willing to add Darvish. How crazy would that rotation be with him as the 4 or 5 SP? We still have 7 or 8 candidates for the rotation as it stands. McHugh would make nice trade bait for a lefty reliever or to add prospects to our minor league teams.

If they added Darvish it would be to ease the sting of losing several starters over the next couple seasons...

Could I see them adding Darvish? Yeah I could. I don't see Darvish as being a #1 starter, but a solid #2 or at worst a very good #3? Yeah.

Glad the Astros didn't give up Fisher or Martes. Martes' numbers were ugly last season but he was only 21. He's got better tools than either Musgrove or Feliz.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
If they added Darvish it would be to ease the sting of losing several starters over the next couple seasons...

Could I see them adding Darvish? Yeah I could. I don't see Darvish as being a #1 starter, but a solid #2 or at worst a very good #3? Yeah.

Glad the Astros didn't give up Fisher or Martes. Martes' numbers were ugly last season but he was only 21. He's got better tools than either Musgrove or Feliz.
On the Astros, Darvish is no better than a fourth starter, barring a trade. Keuchel could be dangled as trade bait if Darvish signs. His agent is Boras and will be a free agent after this season.

I agree about Martes. He's young and has filthy stuff. He just needs a little seasoning.

kskboys

Reaction score
Incredibly good trade!!!!!

kskboys

Reaction score
On the Astros, Darvish is no better than a fourth starter, barring a trade. Keuchel could be dangled as trade bait if Darvish signs. His agent is Boras and will be a free agent after this season.

I agree about Martes. He's young and has filthy stuff. He just needs a little seasoning.
Yeah, but Darvish can eat innnings. And we need to use our BP much less harshly.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Yeah, but Darvish can eat innnings. And we need to use our BP much less harshly.

Our BP should be better this year with Peacock and McHugh(if he's not traded) to provide multiple innings if needed. If we can add a lefty like Watson, it's going to be very good.

kskboys

Reaction score
Our BP should be better this year with Peacock and McHugh(if he's not traded) to provide multiple innings if needed. If we can add a lefty like Watson, it's going to be very good.
Which Watson are chasing?

Don't forget the newbies, Joe Smith and Rondon.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Don't know what the Giants are doing... Trying to put together the oldest roster in the league that can win 75 games?

Cutch is still decent. Add him to Posey
Which Watson are chasing?

Don't forget the newbies, Joe Smith and Rondon.

Tony Watson.

I'm not forgetting Smith and Rondon. Add them to Harris, Devo and Giles, and that's a dang good pen. I'm hoping Sipp is sent packing.

kskboys

Reaction score
Cutch is still decent. Add him to Posey

Tony Watson.

I'm not forgetting Smith and Rondon. Add them to Harris, Devo and Giles, and that's a dang good pen. I'm hoping Sipp is sent packing.
Yeah, McCutcheon is just a very good all around player. Had a very good year last year w/ nothing around him, so I don't see why people are so down on him. Won't turn 32 until OCT, should have 3-5 ys left.

Ooooohhhh, love to have Tony Watson. That dude can pitch. Is he a FA?

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Yeah, McCutcheon is just a very good all around player. Had a very good year last year w/ nothing around him, so I don't see why people are so down on him. Won't turn 32 until OCT, should have 3-5 ys left.

Ooooohhhh, love to have Tony Watson. That dude can pitch. Is he a FA?

Watson is a FA and the intriguing thing is, he's best friends of Cole and Morton. Kinda gives us an inside track to adding him. Is this the best time ever to be an Astro fan or what? FAs actually want to play for us instead of seeing us as a last resort.

kskboys

Reaction score
Watson is a FA and the intriguing thing is, he's best friends of Cole and Morton. Kinda gives us an inside track to adding him. Is this the best time ever to be an Astro fan or what? FAs actually want to play for us instead of seeing us as a last resort.
We are known as having the best clubhouse in MLB.

Watson is an awesome lefty. Maybe Sipp can retire then!!!

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Here's an interesting stat...

"There were 69,110 plate appearances last year by players in their age-30 season and older — that is nearly 15,000 fewer than 2007."

The old, expensive guys are being shoved out the door for less expensive younger guys. I think part of this is due to teams being less reluctant to give guys 30+ long-term deals. And the ones that have recently like the Yankees, Tigers, Rangers and Angels have regretted it.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
We are known as having the best clubhouse in MLB.

Watson is an awesome lefty. Maybe Sipp can retire then!!!
What do you mean “the best clubhouse”

Team cohesion? Or amenities?

Well, it isn’t a stretch (I was about to argue with you), as you guys just won the WS. But Scioscia, even with his warts as an aging manager, is known as a players coach and operates a very team friendly/cohesive clubhouse.

When you hear about strife or drama in Angels land, it’s with Sosh and the FO. He was the de facto GM, would go straight to Moreno (LAA owner) with issues instead of <insert every GM we’ve had, sans Stoneman, and now Eppler>.

Our last GM (Jerry Dipoto) was fired because Sosh wouldn’t work with him — Jerry went to Pujols behind Sosh’s back, to get the players to buy into his game plan/shifts/analytics. Gramps told Sosh what went down and a day later Jerry D is gone, next stop SEA. His players love him because of how loyal he is. He’s too loyal at times.

Anyhoo, y’all might have a fantastic clubhouse, but we’re not too far behind. Now, depth and talent is a whole different story.