MLB Offseason thread

FloridaRob

Reaction score
According to reports fred Wilpon gets upset when the Yankees make a big signing. He does not believe the Yankees business model is sustainable. Fred will take that belief to his grave.

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Circa 1997, the Mets have hired Omar Minaya as their assistant GM. That worked out so well the first time, the Mets decided to do it again. This team is just a train wreck. You have to actually see it to believe it.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
According to reports fred Wilpon gets upset when the Yankees make a big signing. He does not believe the Yankees business model is sustainable. Fred will take that belief to his grave.

They don't seem to want to follow either the Yankee business model or the rebuild business model.

It's like they put together a .500 roster and then hope for good luck.

haleyrules

Reaction score
The NY Yankees are the only true baseball club. The rest can only pretend to hold the crown. The Yankees can truly never be defeated. For the glorious NYY not winning the WS is only a very temporary setback. The true glory is forever withheld for the Yankees.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
The NY Yankees are the only true baseball club. The rest can only pretend to hold the crown. The Yankees can truly never be defeated. For the glorious NYY not winning the WS is only a very temporary setback. The true glory is forever withheld for the Yankees.
All of this, except switch out "Yankees" with "Angels" :D

FloridaRob

Reaction score
Ok, I think it is time the Mets do what teh Marlins are doing. Just blow up the team or what is left of it anyway. Could you imagine the haul degromm or Synderrgard could get. It could re hab their whole organization. Move everyone except Conforto and Rosario. The Wilpons dont give a flying flip about competing so get young and maybe bring in a few exciting offense players and pitchers a couple of years away.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
The Astros beat them :)

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I know a woman, Becky Sanford, who used to be Boras’ personal assistant. For about 5 years she made sure his kids were at school, he was given his info (if he was in Newport), and was always available to him. She said he was always working, that he knew more about his players (habits, slumps, numbers) than the Orgs scouting them... and if you worked for him it was relentless. Especially as close to him as she was. And this was after she retired as a vice principal of an OC private school. She’s now an LCSW for VOA, but she did that. She was working for him during the Weaver rookie/bonus years in Anaheim, when Weaver got a huge bonus. She says that he sets his clients up with a financial board that is created within his own agency. The players are free to use it.

I highly respect this woman, because when I would ask what kind of father he was, she would stay mum.

She’s an LCSW with a masters in social work from USC now, a new degree for her. Going crazy strong at 65

Last edited:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn’t even give him 7/140, but it’s cool KC is trying to retain him. Sad he’s their main draw.

I wouldn't give him that either.

Over-rated and by year 5 or 6 that contract is going to be very bad.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Boy only about 37 days before pitches and catchers report for Houston, and there are still a great many free agents left out there.

I do not remember a slower offseason when it came to trades and FA signings.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Boy only about 37 days before pitches and catchers report for Houston, and there are still a great many free agents left out there.

I do not remember a slower offseason when it came to trades and FA signings.
I smell collusion....... seriously though it is getting tougher giving guys like Hosmer and JD Martinez and Darvish and Arrieta 150m+ contracts

It has become a young stars league without the PEDs and amphetamines and no one wants to give 7 year contracts to 30 year olds

Harper, Machado, Arenado, Altuve will soon be getting the big bucks

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I smell collusion....... seriously though it is getting tougher giving guys like Hosmer and JD Martinez and Darvish and Arrieta 150m+ contracts

It has become a young stars league without the PEDs and amphetamines and no one wants to give 7 year contracts to 30 year olds

Harper, Machado, Arenado, Altuve will soon be getting the big bucks

That's part of it.

Teams are seeing the mess the Yankees had to clean up and the mess the Angels have with Albert and mess the Tigers have with Cabrera. When the salary threshold is $197 mil and you've got a useless contract (or two) chewing up $25 mil of that... Well you've got problems.

And yeah next year's FA class is definitely affecting this one.