MLB Offseason thread

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Here's an interesting stat...

"There were 69,110 plate appearances last year by players in their age-30 season and older — that is nearly 15,000 fewer than 2007."

The old, expensive guys are being shoved out the door for less expensive younger guys. I think part of this is due to teams being less reluctant to give guys 30+ long-term deals. And the ones that have recently like the Yankees, Tigers, Rangers and Angels have regretted it.
Glad we were of help to the rest of league :(

Why won’t he just retire????

kskboys

Reaction score
Here's an interesting stat...

"There were 69,110 plate appearances last year by players in their age-30 season and older — that is nearly 15,000 fewer than 2007."

The old, expensive guys are being shoved out the door for less expensive younger guys. I think part of this is due to teams being less reluctant to give guys 30+ long-term deals. And the ones that have recently like the Yankees, Tigers, Rangers and Angels have regretted it.
No, it's that steroids keeps a player playing into his 40's, but w/o the roids players are going downhill from 30-35, just like they used to.

kskboys

Reaction score
What do you mean “the best clubhouse”

Team cohesion? Or amenities?

Well, it isn’t a stretch (I was about to argue with you), as you guys just won the WS. But Scioscia, even with his warts as an aging manager, is known as a players coach and operates a very team friendly/cohesive clubhouse.

When you hear about strife or drama in Angels land, it’s with Sosh and the FO. He was the de facto GM, would go straight to Moreno (LAA owner) with issues instead of <insert every GM we’ve had, sans Stoneman, and now Eppler>.

Our last GM (Jerry Dipoto) was fired because Sosh wouldn’t work with him — Jerry went to Pujols behind Sosh’s back, to get the players to buy into his game plan/shifts/analytics. Gramps told Sosh what went down and a day later Jerry D is gone, next stop SEA. His players love him because of how loyal he is. He’s too loyal at times.

Anyhoo, y’all might have a fantastic clubhouse, but we’re not too far behind. Now, depth and talent is a whole different story.
Oh, team stuff all the way. These guys are tight, and have great attitudes. They cheer each other on w/ gusto and no fake stuff. Everyone is truly happy for someone when they get a hit or make a play.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
No, it's that steroids keeps a player playing into his 40's, but w/o the roids players are going downhill from 30-35, just like they used to.
Not just PEDs but uppers/greenies too

162 games is a grind and it is a young man's game again

and the Latin America development academies have added a ton of young and cheap talent

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Oh, team stuff all the way. These guys are tight, and have great attitudes. They cheer each other on w/ gusto and no fake stuff. Everyone is truly happy for someone when they get a hit or make a play.
I don’t doubt it, man. Hell, I’ve seen it, we play each other 18 times a year, plus America got to see HOU for a full postseason. :)

Solid club, built the right way. I don’t doubt they’re having a blast. Especially with them winning! I love seeing a team with a close, tight knit clubhouse win.

Ballplayers, to me, are closest to their little league/children counterparts. Clapping, cheering, laughing! Truly a kid’s game, baseball is.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
What do you mean “the best clubhouse”

Team cohesion? Or amenities?

Well, it isn’t a stretch (I was about to argue with you), as you guys just won the WS. But Scioscia, even with his warts as an aging manager, is known as a players coach and operates a very team friendly/cohesive clubhouse.

When you hear about strife or drama in Angels land, it’s with Sosh and the FO. He was the de facto GM, would go straight to Moreno (LAA owner) with issues instead of <insert every GM we’ve had, sans Stoneman, and now Eppler>.

Our last GM (Jerry Dipoto) was fired because Sosh wouldn’t work with him — Jerry went to Pujols behind Sosh’s back, to get the players to buy into his game plan/shifts/analytics. Gramps told Sosh what went down and a day later Jerry D is gone, next stop SEA. His players love him because of how loyal he is. He’s too loyal at times.

Anyhoo, y’all might have a fantastic clubhouse, but we’re not too far behind. Now, depth and talent is a whole different story.

Y'all need to get rid of Trout, then you'll have a much better clubhouse.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
With the NYY, the LAD and BOS not making a ton of moves things have really stagnated

Teams are saving up for next year when Harper, Machado, Donaldson, Blackmon hit

Teams might get some short-term bargains in the next couple weeks

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Now we’re taking!

I’m surprised it’s not Altuve or Correa?
I like Altuve too. He's my second. He and Trout play with heart. As far as Correa, I like Springer and Breg better than him. Growing up, I thought Willie Mays was a god. Trout reminds me a lot of Mays.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I like Altuve too. He's my second. He and Trout play with heart. As far as Correa, I like Springer and Breg better than him. Growing up, I thought Willie Mays was a god. Trout reminds me a lot of Mays.
Right on, man

It's great to have you here. Once the regular season starts the 2018 MLB Regular Season thread will have much more people. A fun group.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
What a cold Hot Stove season

There are still so many top FAs left....... they could start an All Star team

Darvish, Arrieta, Cobb, Lynn, Cashner
JD Martinez, Hosmer, Moose, Cain, Bautista, Todd Frazier, Lucroy, TWalker, Nunez