MLB Offseason thread

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
14 homers, .278 average, 46 walks. That's OK production, but nothing to go ape about.

And I would bet his 2018 numbers regress towards more like what he was the previous 3 seasons. A guy with single digit power who'll hit between .260 and .270

Calhoun could up his numbers a little. But I doubt he'll hit 25 home-runs with a .300 average.

He'll hit in the teens in homeruns and have a batting average about .250
Calhoun is a 20 homer, .270-.285 avg, .320-335 OBP, GG RF. He had a really off year, but he’s very solid. He’s above replacement, easily.

I think Simba continues to grow as a hitter, or at least maintain. I understand people thinking there may be a regression as he’s never established himself as a 5-7 hitter, but he’s still relatively young.

In any event, his D is the best in the bigs at SS, and there really hasn’t been anyone that good defensively at his position in the last two decades. If he can avg for the next 5-7 years what he did at the plate last year, I think we have the best SS, all around, in baseball. I mean, he gives you 4 WAR on his D alone

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Calhoun is a 20 homer, 270-285 avg, GG RF. He has a really bad year, but he’s very solid. He’s above replacement, easily.

I think Simba continues to grow as a hitter, or at least maintain. I understand people thinking they’re may be a regression as he’s never established himself as a 5-7 hitter, but he’s still relatively young.

In any event, his D is the best in the bigs at SS, and there really hasn’t been anyone that good defensively at his position in the last two decades. If he can avg for the next 5-7 years what he did at the plate last year, I think we have the best SS, all around, in baseball. I mean, he gives you 4 WAR on his D alone

Come'on!

Calhoun will be 30 and has one season where he's hit over .280 and one season where he's hit more than 20 home runs.

Simmons will be 28 next season. Most guys top out as hitters between 25 and 27. Simmons high for homers is 17 which he reached when he was 23 and his high for batting average is .281 which he reached in '16. He's a guy who'll be just as a posted... He'll hit between .260 and .270 and will have 10 bombs.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Without a doubt, Mike. I think we’re going hard at Machado next year

I do NOT want Hosmer

I wouldn't want him either. For one season he'd be an improvement. But over time that contract will turn sour.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Come'on!

Calhoun will be 30 and has one season where he's hit over .280 and one season where he's hit more than 20 home runs.

Simmons will be 28 next season. Most guys top out as hitters between 25 and 27. Simmons high for homers is 17 which he reached when he was 23 and his high for batting average is .281 which he reached in '16. He's a guy who'll be just as a posted... He'll hit between .260 and .270 and will have 10 bombs.
Simba is not a power hitter. Anything over 13 or so is gravy. He is a slap hitter and speedy guy. Baseball players peak at a higher age than the other sports. You need to stop looking at HRs for Andrelton. He’s a singles and on base guy. With the glove of a generation.

I’ll do a sig bet with you that he finishes above 5 WAR and .270 next year, that’s how confident I am in his progress, and the fact that we’re actually getting some, some hitters around him. :)

Kole, you’re vastly underrating. He has very hot and very cold streaks. But he is every bit a 20+ HR guy. And don’t forget his defense. He also walks.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Simba is not a power hitter. Anything over 13 or so is gravy. He is a slap hitter and speedy guy. Baseball players peak at a higher age than the other sports. You need to stop looking at HRs for Andrelton. He’s a singles and on base guy. With the glove of a generation.

I’ll do a sig bet with you that he finishes above 5 WAR and .270 next year, that’s how confident I am in his progress, and the fact that we’re actually getting some, some hitters around him. :)

Kole, you’re vastly underrating. He has very hot and very cold streaks. But he is every bit a 20+ HR guy. And don’t forget his defense. He also walks.

Simmons is great defensively.

Offensively he's just OK.

You're a homer. :)

calico

Reaction score
If I had a vote I'd have given to him also.

Great season.

The "glue" that held that team together.

he's dropping major hints he wants a new deal now. astros need to pay him his worth now and not get him disgruntled. his best friend correa doesnt need the impression the astros dont reward their long term vets.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
he's dropping major hints he wants a new deal now. astros need to pay him his worth now and not get him disgruntled. his best friend correa doesnt need the impression the astros dont reward their long term vets.

Yeah, with winning post-season accolades comes the pressure of how to keep everyone happy.

He's under contract for another two seasons.

He's certainly worthy of an extension and a salary increase. They could probably give him an extension and an increase and not have it be as high as it could if he were a free agent meaning he would probably give a "home-town" discount to get a salary boost starting next season.

And then you have Keuchel and Marwin to consider, who are both FA's after next season.

Do you let them go and collect draft picks for them and hope someone in the farm system can take over or do you extend them this offseason?