MLB Regular Season

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'll take all the blessings I can get Trouty cause I always use it. I just like to remind people whats happening all summer as Trout toils away in obscurity with literally no chance to make any post season noise. I am an old fart but got to see some of baseballs golden era and the weird thing is his career reminds me a little of Nolan Ryan (yes I know he was a pitcher) when he was an Angel. Dominating on an awful Angels team that was no threat to go to the post season and that nobody cared about in general. Even with all the media and 24/7 news coverage Trout isnt getting his due. Its a shame really.

The Nolan Ryan comparison is in the ball park. I remember those Angel teams.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Twice in MLB history the same team has had the best hitter and pitcher if you're going just by WAR...

1965, Willie Mays, Juan Marichal
1965 Giants were 95-67, 2nd place, 2 games behind the Dodgers

1932 Jimmie Foxx, Lefty Grove
1932 Athletics were 94-60, 2nd place, 13 games behind the Yankees

Interesting that in both instances the team ended up in 2nd place.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
What Trout is doing is amazing... But it's occurring in a "black box". Without team success it's sorta one-man vs. the world and no matter how great he is the world is going to win. He's an enhanced version of Ernie Banks and what Banks went through in his career with the cubs.
We have some blue chip talent in the minors finally (Jo Adell may be a top-5 MLB prospect after this season, check him out, Mike). We also have Ohtani and Andrelton. We have a solid pitching staff, but horrid pen. Most blown leads in baseball by bullpen. Middleton going down did us no favors. Still, we have nice starting pitching, but we do lack a true top of the rotation starter. Richards isn't that guy, he might have a year or two of sub 3.00 ERA in the future, but it will be an outlier not the norm. We traded our future ace (Newcomb) for Simba.

Also, HOU will be raking this division for the next two-three years, conservatively, that leaves us playing WC win-and-in games against NY or BOS or whoever is the flavor de jour that year (SEA/TOR/whoever). This doesn't bode well for keeping Trout. He has to preserve his legacy and win. With that said, as mentioned, we have several high-end prospects, and an owner willing to spend. If he doesn't eat Pujols contract, Trout is gone, unless we hit it outta the park on virtually all of our top 5 prospects. We're thinking Eppler will be given the green light on Arenado and Kershaw. Cozart will slide into super-utility, and gah-willing, Fletcher sticks at 2nd.

So many holes, but we do have a hell of a GM. Arte needs to eat Pujols' contract, have I mentioned that? Eppler needs to be given carte blanche and build a contender. Fire Sosh and build the team around his vision as he has already started to do. Every effort must be made to get Trout to the postseason in his final two years before FA. He loves playing here, but no Great (unless your Barry Sanders) wants to play for a loser their whole career.

I'll follow Trout wherever he goes. Even if he becomes a Yankee or a Ranger, I will still die-hard root for him. I'm praying the Angels fix it. They owe it to him.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Did any of you guys see the Terry Collins video of him chewing out a mic'd up umpire? It's really fascinating if you're ever curious what is said on the field during play. I always wonder what is said at mound visits, or when a player looks back at an ump and utters something after a bad call -- or in this case, a fiery manager going nutso on blue. MLB is trying to get it washed off the internet, too. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

Collins was the Angels manager (Bill Bavasi GM) when I started following them diehard in '98. The Angels were a wreck then, too. The 90s were a dark decade for Angels baseball. We had Salmon, Edmonds, Langston, Finley and that's it pretty much (Disar was cool, i guess but pretty meh, and Erstad, Percival, Lackey, Glaus and the rest came in the latter part of the decade).

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
What Trout is doing is amazing... But it's occurring in a "black box". Without team success it's sorta one-man vs. the world and no matter how great he is the world is going to win. He's an enhanced version of Ernie Banks and what Banks went through in his career with the cubs.

When you're mentioned in the same breath as guys like Ted Williams and Babe Ruth, you're pretty special. Trout doesn't get nearly the press he deserves.

I cringe every time he steps into the batters box against the Stros.

"Trout is up to bat with 2 men on." :eek:

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
I'm hate watching Mookie Betts. Just disgusting he's leading the AL in outfielder all star votes. His start to the season before injury was insane, admittedly, but you don't miss that much time, then come back and bat .200, and still lead the best baseball player in the world, having his best season.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When you're mentioned in the same breath as guys like Ted Williams and Babe Ruth, you're pretty special. Trout doesn't get nearly the press he deserves.

I cringe every time he steps into the batters box against the Stros.

"Trout is up to bat with 2 men on." :eek:

Ruth and Williams had bigger than life persona's... The press loved them.

Trout's has kind of a "casper milktoast" personality and the press doesn't gravitate to him.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Will be going to the game this Sunday, section 239 (right field), our favorite area to sit. My boy gave me the tickets for Father's Day. I'll post pics on Monday. Wish it was an Ohtani start

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score
Well you haven't had to worry much about that this season :(

I heard a stat about Trout on sports radio the other day that blew my mind. Since being permanently called up to MLB, the longest he's ever gone without reaching base is 2 games. And that only happened ONE TIME!

I was like, HUH???

That's just great on another level.

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score
Ruth and Williams had bigger than life persona's... The press loved them.

Trout's has kind of a "casper milktoast" personality and the press doesn't gravitate to him.
It's mostly non-Angels fans (unless you're on reddit) that have a complex about the lack of media coverage Trout gets. Trout doesn't care, either, I promise you that. He just wants to win and wreck the league and make a few hundred million. He doesn't need to be on the box of Wheeties. He'd rather hunt or chase a tornado with his Jersey pals, or eat a 44 oz tomahawk ribeye in Irvine with his wife.

A bunch of sweaty fans that want Trout on their teams (read: Yankees fans and Red Sox fans) harp on how his career isn't being covered the "right way" (while true, admittedly)

Mike doesn't care about that stuff. He just wants to win and get his $500M and all the records. If it's in Anaheim or Philly or <shudders> NY, he couldn't care less.

Last edited:

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Did any of you guys see the Terry Collins video of him chewing out a mic'd up umpire? It's really fascinating if you're ever curious what is said on the field during play. I always wonder what is said at mound visits, or when a player looks back at an ump and utters something after a bad call -- or in this case, a fiery manager going nutso on blue. MLB is trying to get it washed off the internet, too. Check it out if you haven't seen it.

Collins was the Angels manager (Bill Bavasi GM) when I started following them diehard in '98. The Angels were a wreck then, too. The 90s were a dark decade for Angels baseball. We had Salmon, Edmonds, Langston, Finley and that's it pretty much (Disar was cool, i guess but pretty meh, and Erstad, Percival, Lackey, Glaus and the rest came in the latter part of the decade).

About 70% of mound visits have nothing to do with baseball :laugh:

In my experience anyways, usually it is women or partying related just to change the mentality.

punchnjudy

Reaction score
Rhys Hoskins has come back strong. How long before a video surfaces of Bryce Harper trying to foul a ball off his head?